Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it better to eat your fruit/starches earlier in the day? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Is it better to eat your fruit/starches earlier in the day?

My theory is that if I eat fruit/sweet potatoes/etc. at night it isn't getting burned off as efficiently as if I ate it during the morning or afternoon hours. Has anyone experimented with this kind of food timing? Thanks!

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    I was under the impression you want to eat your starches later in the day to maximize how much of it gets used in replenishing glycogen stores. In reality, I believe the answer is that it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yes, in carb load studies, the eating schedules made practically no difference, as long as you consumed the appropriate amount to replenish the stores in the first 24 or so hours after the workout.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    According to one source, HOW TO EAT POST LEPTIN RX FOR OPTIMAL LIFE? | Jack Kruse
    It's better to eat most carbs earlier in the day and almost none the closer you get to sleep time.

"1. Plan on eating a straight forward paleo template. If you are active you can add carbohydrates from 10% to 20-30% of your diet. The diet is still a high fat moderate protein paleo template outlined in Art DeVany’s, Robb Wolf’s, and Mark Sisson’s books.

2. Upon rising within one hour eat 50% of your daily carbs with 25 grams of protein and 20-30 grams of fats.

3. Never miss breakfast because eating it stimulates the circadian rhythm for gastric acid secretion in adults. This will become critical later in the day for body composition optimization.

4. Avoid working out prior to breakfast. It is a circadian cycle breaker because it raises cortisol at a time it is already high."

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Timing hasn't mattered to me in terms of weight loss, it's been more about calories. For mood, I find I'm in a much better mood if I eat carbs before going to bed.
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

shmee is offline Senior Member
    marking my place for reading.
    Interesting!
    I get my weights done early afternoon. By supper time I'm ready for some starch! Usually in the way of sweet potatoe, butternut squash, parsnips... drowning in butter...
    Start Weight: 265.8
    Current Weight: 234.4
    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    3. Never miss breakfast because eating it stimulates the circadian rhythm for gastric acid secretion in adults. This will become critical later in the day for body composition optimization.
    technically, wouldn't it make sense that the first meal you have is your breakfast regardless of time of day? If you wake up at 7am and your first meal is at 2pm, isn't that "breaking your fast"? Wouldn't it make sense that your "rhythm for gastric acid secretion" would eventually adapt to the timing you give it?

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    4. Avoid working out prior to breakfast. It is a circadian cycle breaker because it raises cortisol at a time it is already high.
    I disagree

MDA Fasted Training
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Eating things that raise blood sugar in the mornings will make you have cravings for more carbs all day.
    In the mornings the blood sugar is usually on the low side (esp. SAD eaters), but quite stable for people eating primally.
    Sugar, regardless what source, will kill your immune system for up to 5 hours, raw honey and fruit being the least evil of them all. It also shrinks your arteries and if you're planning a walk in the cold outside, don't eat anything that raises blood sugar, you will be extremely cold, without being able to warm up. Instead, eat protein and animal fat...it raises internal temperature of the body and keeps you warm. (Science reads)
    Starting out the day with sugar results in cravings for sugary things the entire day, getting worse as the day goes on. It took me awhile to realize what I'm doing and conciously stop this nonsense of raiding the kitchen for sweet things.

I used to drink 2 cups of raw goats milk with berries every morning for breakfast for 1.5 years. Since starting out my day with eggs/bacon/ham/liverwurst warmed up in tallow I've lost an additional 10 lbs without giving up sweets, I just don't consume them in the morning, which leads to MORE carbs over the rest of the day.
    I get my carbs between noon and 4 pm...enough time to stabalize blood sugar and dip into fat storage over night...even with a generous dinner of fish and squash.

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been eating a grapefruit at night after dinner, so I have to worry if I'm sabotaging myself....especially since Kruse tends to agree. But who knows....I'm not exercising a lot per say, so there's nothing to refeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast