Thread: Intro to me and a newbie Question page

KOKORO is offline Junior Member

Intro to me and a newbie Question

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so briefly, here is my story:

I came across Mark's Daily Apple whilst 'googling' about good nutrition about a month ago.

Over the last 2 years I have lost 22kg via CW (low fat, restricted calorie diet coupled with intense gym sessions 3-5 times per week). Although I successfully lost weight this way I found that I was tired and hungry all the time. It felt like my whole life revolved around food. The second I had finished eating breakfast I was already thinking about what I was going to eat for lunch. I had also hit a weight loss plateu, I still had 5kg to lose to reach my target weight but no matter what I did it just wouldn't budge. If I lost weight one week it would be up again the next week. I became obessed with the scales and weighed myself every day. I imagine there are probably a lot of people out there who can relate to this story.

As soon as I found the PB way it just all fell into place. I now understand why I felt so hungry and tired all the time and why my body was fighting so hard to hang on to those last 5kg. Since going PB 3 weeks ago (and despite some newbie mistakes along the way) I have lost 2 of those 5kg and I feel great. I am no longer hungry 24/7, I can even skip meals without noticing. I am sleeping much better and have more energy. My parents are now following the PB too and I am working on converting my best friend who is severly obese and depressed at the moment.

Being new to this I still have a LOT to learn! So I am reading, reading, reading all I can. Something I read recently that concerned me (and I have not been able to turn up much via searching the web) is regarding birth control and insulin resistance. I have been on Implanon (progestogen only implant) for the last 6 years. I read that it is linked to insulin resistance and the product information brochure actually reads: "may induce mild insulin resistance and small changes in glucose concentrations of unknown clinical significance" and warns that diabetic women should be monitored if using Implanon. Does anyone have any more information on this? I would hate to think that my birth control is sabotaging all my good eating efforts! Is there such a thing as a Primal friendly birth control method?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading

Bec

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I have been on Implanon (progestogen only implant) for the last 6 years. I read that it is linked to insulin resistance and the product information brochure actually reads: "may induce mild insulin resistance and small changes in glucose concentrations of unknown clinical significance" and warns that diabetic women should be monitored if using Implanon.
    Welcome, you are off to a good start. I don't have an answer to your question, but you can buy a glucose meter cheap and test your blood sugar and your reactions to different foods to see if it is normal. For more info on what is normal and how to test go to http://bloodsugar101.com/

Hint - TrueTest meters from Walgreens are cheap and sometimes come with a 100% rebate. Test strips from Amazon are half the price.http://www.amazon.com/TRUEtest-Test-.../dp/B002CGT09C. Get at least 50 strips.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 11-17-2011 at 01:50 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Any kind of hormonal birth control is not primal. There's a thread that discusses this in the blog post suggestions subforum, I think. As for how it affects you, only tests would show that. It might not be a bad idea to have your doctor test your hormone levels periodically to make sure nothing is too high or too low, as well as general blood tests to see if it is affecting you otherwise.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

jamesspader497 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good day everyone! I am James Spader. I found this site interesting and of course we can interact also to other members as well. Hope to find new more friends here. Iím positively looking forward to the forum and its members hope all will guide, share and help me to increase my knowledge.