Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A low-fat day page

cranehigh is offline Senior Member

A low-fat day

So if I wasn't sure how eating more fat and protein, and fewer carbs affected me today was a good reminder. I was out all day being fed by other people, and as a result though my calories were pretty much the same by dinner, I felt like eating all the time because I had almost no fat going on, and relatively low protein.

I ended up eating too much, but it was a good way for me to see how differently I run on primal foods. Can't wait to make my usual excellent breakfast in the morning.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    I here you there. I've just started being primal again after about seven months of lagging on it for no good reason. I'm on day four and am sort of, kind of, maybe feeling a bit carbl-fluish, but I know I will get past it. I remember having great energy and other benefits from doing primal last year where I lost forty pounds. Good luck and thanks for the encouraging story. BTW: What do you eat for breakfast?

My normal breakfast is 3 eggs scrambled with guacamole, 3 strips of bacon, and a cup of coffee with heavy cream. Sometimes I throw a handful of blueberries or blackberries in there too.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Or you can fast thru breakfast daily which is also great

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I do just fine on high-carb, low-fat days (and high-fat, low-carb days, and moderate-everything days) because I do it regularly, so my metabolism is flexible. If you're used to eating VLC all the time then yeah, you're going to have trouble assimilating large portions of starch if you don't work up to it first.

The low protein will definitely keep you hungrier though, no matter what. Protein (read: meat) is #1 for satiety and health IMO.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

I agree protein is #1 for satiety. I do not notice much of a difference in terms of more fat more carbs...

I can handle lower fat (50g<) using sweet potatoes and fruit, white potatoes and rice now bother me in large amounts.

Well, when I say breakfast, often that happens at 1 or 2pm. I usually eat twice a day now. Breakfast is what I call the first meal whenever it happens. It's usually "breakfast food" because well... yum!

And yeah, I'm not sure if it was the low fat or low protein, since I generally eat them together. Either way, it was interesting to experience.

does anyone else besides me not seem to get as much satiety from eggs versus meat? Even with the same calories... I'm not sure if its because I usually eat my eggs with cheese so the fat content is higher.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    What is your definition of "low fat" though? If you normally eat 65% calories from fat and you ate 40% calories from fat today, it may seem like a low fat day to you, but that's still a pretty high fat day. Also, how many carbohydrate did you eat? If I eat high protein but low fat and low carb, I'm hungry all the time. If I eat low fat and low protein and high carb, I'm hungry all the time. However, if I eat high protein AND high carb, I stay full nearly as well as if I eat high fat and high protein. The key to satiety to me is to have higher quantities of two macronutrients. Going high on only one will just make me hungry. FWIW, this is what I consider a high fat day:

And this is what I consider a low fat day:

You said you ate low fat and not much protein, and you make no mention of carbs, either. It just sounds like you didn't eat anything all day, in which case I'd be hungry, too
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-18-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

PrimalCon New York
    Usually, my eating leaves me with between 50 and 55% of my calories from fat, 30 from protein, and the rest from carbs. Wednesday (the day in question was more like 15% fat, 15% protein and 70% carbs. That's around what my proportions used to look like when I was trying to lose weight before Primal. I don't have a log of the day to show you here, but my carb count was well over 250g, when it normally lives between 60 and 80.

It definitely doesn't worry me, as I've learned that my body is good at handling whatever curve balls I throw at it these days, but it's interesting to me that the same general number of calories feel different depending on whether they're fat, protein, or carbohydrate, as far as satiety and cravings go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast