Thread: Perfect Thanksgiving dish: Raw kale and roasted butternut squash salad page

Ajax is offline Senior Member

Perfect Thanksgiving dish: Raw kale and roasted butternut squash salad

Primal Fuel
    I adore lacinato kale in all forms. While I usually saute it or roast it into kale chips, I recently learned a new trick that lets you eat lacinato kale raw: Salt the leaves then let them sit for a bit. The salt draws water out of the leaves which wilts them to a perfect texture for a salad! I combined the wilted kale with roasted butternut squash, pine nuts and dried currants. It was delicious and I think it'll make a great addition to my Thanksgiving table. If you have some duck fat on hand, I bet sauteing the roasted squash cubes in it before adding to the salad would make this really amazing.

You can view the recipe on my blog here.

What is everyone making for Thanksgiving?

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Just got kale in my CSA box, along with four adorable mini butternut squash.

I'm am doing a brined turkey breast, steamed green beans with a fake panko (almond meal ) onion and cermini topping, twice baked sweet potatoes baked in mini au gratin dishes (they have feta and buttermilk, bacon and chipotle), a roast squash medley of butternut, acorn and pumpkin cubes with chunks of red onion, and a salad of baby greens with cranberry vinaigrette. I may sub pomegranate vinegar, and I am going to try a half ass attempt at cranberry sauce thickened with apples and sweetened an undetermined substance. Dessert is pumpkin cheesecake with a butter pecan rice flour crust. Wine list and appetizers to be determined!

Here is a macerated kale recipe for you to try. It came with my CSA box last month. Ignore the asterisks. I cut and pasted it in here on my iPad and editing them out is a big pain.
    Combine equal parts olive oil, soy sauce, and lemon juice.* You need lots of dressing to coat the leaves -- you can always drain it out later.
    Rinse 1 bunch curly green kale and remove the stems.* Roughly chop or tear the leaves into large bite size pieces.
    Toss the kale leaves in a large bowl with the dressing to completely coat all the leaves.* Remember that you are actually marinating the kale.* Allow the salad to sit for 10 minutes, then toss again.* If possible, repeat this process several times.* If you are in a hurry to serve or eat the salad, you may want to macerate the leaves with a wooden spoon or rub the dressing in with your fingers.
    Add 1/2 C. crunchy vegetables to the salad:* shredded carrots, diced peppers, sliced bok choy.
    When the kale is sufficiently delicious, drain any excess dressing and save for the next time.
    In a pan, toast 1/2 C. sunflower, pumpkin or sesame seeds or a combination of all three.* Sprinkle over the salad before serving.

I have been avoiding seeds like sunflower so I think pine nuts would be good om this. Last time I made it I saved the seeds from a spaghetti squash and used them. People who need what used to be called roughage will appreciate this salad.
    Last edited by Snauzoo; 11-16-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oooh, I like the idea of the lemon juice and soy sauce in the dressing! Will definitely try that I imagine it would be delicious with some avocado added in.

I've made great cranberry sauce with apple before - the apple makes it set beautifully. Just boil together cranberries, a grated apple and maple syrup/honey to taste until jammy. I guess you could also use stevia.
    Last edited by Ajax; 11-17-2011 at 10:21 AM.