Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microkate's Primal Journal page 2

microkate is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Actually did surprisingly well over the past month except for holiday dinners and when we were on the road - which unfortunately was every weekend! Now that the holidays are over, we're getting back on track with eating better, working out and logging food and exercise.

My big goal for this month - make sure that every night before work I set up the coffeepot for the AM, have a clean travel mug ready, and have lunch and breakfast prepared for the next day. I'm lazy and hate getting up in the morning, so if it's not done the night before I'll end up buying breakfast and lunch out. Not good for my health or our bank account!

9:30am - scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee with milk
    12:30pm - leftover homemade broccoli-cheese soup
    4:30pm - piece of cheddar, sandwich meat, coffee with milk
    6:30pm - pecan crusted chicken (from Everyday Paleo), over salad greens with pear, red onion, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Exercise: Riding, ~20min W/T/C. I'm doing better and better, but still finding myself out of breath way too early. Need to work on core strength outside of riding.

Food Prep: Sausage/Broccoli/Egg breakfast casserole, hardboiled 1 doz eggs, mixed up fruit and nut containers, baby purees of sweet potatoes and peas
    Last edited by microkate; 01-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.

6:30am - breakfast casserole, coffee with milk
    11:30am - repeat of salad with pecan-crusted chicken
    2:30pm - cheese stick, coffee with milk
    6:30pm - broccoli-cheese soup, burger over spinach with avocado and salsa

Stuck in class for 5 hrs today.
    Last edited by microkate; 01-03-2012 at 05:11 PM.

6:30 am - coffee and milk, breakfast casserole
    9:30am - dried cherries and almonds
    12:30pm - shredded beef and baked sweet potato
    4:30pm - coffee and milk, cottage cheese with bacon
    9:40pm - nuts, hardboiled eggs, piece of cheese

Made another breakfast casserole, prepared more dried fruit and nut mix for tomorrow

I was going to ride my horse tonight, but by the time I got there the arena footing was frozen and not safe.
    Last edited by microkate; 01-05-2012 at 07:10 AM.

6:30am - coffee and milk, breakfast casserole
    10:30am - nuts and fruit
    12:30pm - shredded beef, hardboiled eggs
    6pm - Stir-fried chicken and broccoli
    8pm - rum and coke, 1pc baklava

Until the late evening, pretty good.
    Last edited by microkate; 01-06-2012 at 04:06 PM.

6:30am - Coffee and milk, breakfast casserole
    12:30pm - shredded beef and hardboiled eggs
    4:30pm - cheese and turkey snack, coffee and milk
    6:30pm - Chicken Tikka Masala over cauliflower rice

One week in... I started the week at 195.5 lbs, and today weighed in at 192.5, so 3 lbs down. It's a decent start.

Good: I always took nuts and dried fruit with me, planned a menu ahead of time and cooked enough each dinner to provide for lunches the next day. I got in the habit of setting up the coffeepot the night before and always had breakfast casserole ready. Neither of us needed to stop for food at any point.

Not so good: I went overboard on dairy, did not exercise, and didn't get nearly enough sleep. Most of the week I got ~5hrs. Some of the sleep issue I can correct by being more efficient with my time, some is due to the baby.

10:00am - coffee and milk, bacon and eggs
    3pm - hardboiled eggs, turkey, cheese, pecans
    8pm - Dinner out - California Pizza Kitchen (yeah, I know, but we had gift certificates and decided to call it a treat night) - Avocado egg rolls, fish tacos, butter cake

Rode today - good long hack, lots of trot and canter

1/8
    11:00am - coffee and milk, bacon, eggs baked in tomatoes
    3pm - Went out for Thai - lumpia, hot basil pork (no rice), clear soup
    7pm - Sauteed spinach and shrimp

Riding lesson today, W/T/C and jump. Could really feel it in my muscles when I got home.

1/9 - 192 lbs
    6:30am - coffee and milk, breakfast casserole with salsa
    11:30am - 2 cheeseburgers (no buns), milk
    4pm - turkey and cheese
    6pm - Totally amazing salad - pecan crusted chicken, diced pears, fig balsamic vinaigrette and Wensleydale with cranberries, all over greens

In class all day today, then in front of the computer working on papers for 2 classes all evening
    Last edited by microkate; 01-10-2012 at 12:40 PM.

6:30am - coffee and milk, breakfast casserole with salsa
    11:30am - more Totally Amazing Salad
    2:30pm - turkey, pepperoni
    7:00pm - Spaghetti squash with meatballs
    9:30pm - coffee and milk

Rode today - not a great ride, but I had to work hard. I really needed that, since I'll be again in front of the comp all evening working on a paper.

Stayed up waaaaaay too late working on a paper
    Last edited by microkate; 01-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.

6:30am - breakfast casserole with salsa, coffee with milk
    11am - dried fruit and nuts
    12:00pm - leftover spaghetti squash and meatballs
    1pm - bottled frappuccino (yeah, bad choice, but I was in desperate need of something to keep me awake in class)
    6pm - white chicken chili

Barn time canceled due to rain

I suck at keeping up with journals! Fortunately I've been keeping up pretty well with Primal eating and the other things I wanted to focus on. I'm down to 187lbs this AM. Not much lost, but I feel a lot better, and I can see a difference in the mirror. My face isn't puffy and my stomach is flatter. The weather has been warming up a lot so I've been spending more time outside. Riding horses, taking the baby to the park or for walks around the block, getting my garden ready. I got some Fivefingers and have been wearing them on walks and when outside. My poor crunched-up little toes are starting to look less crunched-up. The first few days actually hurt.

I've been getting a lot more sleep, which has been a huge help. I finally just reset my bedtime to 9pm. Now, I go to bed at 9, get woken up by the kiddo about 3am to nurse, then fall back asleep until 5:15. I get 6 uninterrupted hours of sleep plus a couple extra and I don't hesitate to take a short nap in the evening if I need to. I've also been doing a much better job of prepping lunches and breakfast the night before, so my mornings can be relaxed and I don't just go buy lunch. Hospital cafeterias are not the healthiest places to buy food.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Down to 185.5 lbs this AM, after trying to eat well over the past couple weeks. It hasn't been easy with my schedule, and there's a possibility that I had Chik-fil-A yesterday, but overall I'm doing well. I realized that while I'm almost exclusively eating ok foods, I'm just eating too much of them, and I'm not active enough. I'm feeling good, and I'm not gaining weight, but I need to stop snacking so much, even if those snacks are "good." I alternate days spent sitting in class for 5 hrs with days spent in the hospital, on my feet, for 10 hrs. The hospital days are great from moving slow and lifting heavy objects perspective. I decided to add back in my beloved workout videos. I just am not at the point, motivationally, that I can do a home workout. I need someone, even a video, telling me what to do and exhorting me to keep going. I'm in such awful shape right now that anything is better than what I'm doing.

So, for today...
    Breakfast: coffee with whole milk, scrambled eggs, sausage
    Lunch: Had to get something in the cafeteria - I got an italian chicken sandwich and ditched the bread. Grilled chicken, sliced tomato, basil, provolone, and added a small salad.
    Snack: raw milk cheddar
    Dinner: Chicken in an italian sauce with tomatoes, peppers, and olives, with roasted cauliflower.
    8 oz beer - amazing stuff we get in growlers from a local brewery. I've mostly given up on alcohol, but this stuff is worth it.

12 min workout video - and even that little bit had me puffing and left me tired. Baby steps, baby steps...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast