Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Post for the Ladies: Increased Hunger during "that time of the month" page

  1. #1
    KittyKat's Avatar
    KittyKat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    25

    Post for the Ladies: Increased Hunger during "that time of the month"

    Shop Now
    ME WANT FOOD!!!!

    Ok so Ive been Primal for over a month now (inspired to lose fat at first but now know this is my lifestyle for health and wellbeing after doing a lot of reading and really believing)....

    I am usually SO disciplined and really its not been THAT hard - food became fuel in my mind and I wasnt craving anything or overthinking what I was going to eat - I celebrated my freedom from food by buying smaller clothes and feeling better about myself etc. I did go through a hellish carb flu and also got really sick with pneaumonia as well so there was bad with the good....

    I have since recovered from my sickness and am now ready to start lifting heavy and sprinting (am already doing lots of slow frequent movement).

    In the meantime "that time of the month" showed up and MAN have I been extra hungry.... I havent been giving in too much but small things i have noticed are - im not satisfied from breakfast until 2 or 3pm anymore... i am eating around 12.30pm AND im not naturally wanting to IF from lunch until breakfast the next day probably partly becuase of the earlier lunch ... I love IF'ing because it made me feel so clear and light....... Also I have been having a few carb cravings and just thinking of food more and generally "feeling" my hunger more...

    I have NO idea why this happens and will have to see if it happens again next month or indeed estops after "that time of the month" is over for this month.... there is no other change factor to consider - same food same movement smaller body......

    I know hormones are a complex topic so maybe this is why...

    How have all you other Grokettes felt during this time of month?? Any tips??
    Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

  2. #2
    JennaRose's Avatar
    JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    us
    Posts
    1,037
    I always get that way about a week to a few days before "it begins" lol. I would just gorge, be insatiable and not understand why until "it began", then I'd be like "ohhhhhh I see" not sure why it happens, maybe we just need more calories?? maybe eat more fat?

  3. #3
    spughy's Avatar
    spughy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    656
    I think the longer you're primal, the less effect you'll see. I've been primal for nearly 2 years now and I don't have much in the way of symptoms around that time of the month (although it all comes back when I "slip"). No cravings, no bloating, no cramps, no tender boobs.

  4. #4
    Mouse's Avatar
    Mouse is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    32
    I'm not super into tracking my calories, but I did so for a while when I was transitioning to primal. My daily consumption is usually around 1800 to 2200 calories, but a few days before that time of the month, I will literally eat 3000 to 4000. I'm not in this to lose weight, and I've always noticed increased appetite just before "it starts," but I never realized it was that much of an increase. It's also about the only time I really feel like snacking anymore.

    Personally, I just try to keep the food I'm eating whole, healthy, and primal when my appetite really kicks in once a month. If I'm snacking on meat, veggies, eggs, and fruit I know that at least I'm getting some good nutrients. Before going primal, I would eat whole boxes of crackers and bags of chips during the same timeframe. Now going off the deep end means eating a bowl full of raw almonds or something.

  5. #5
    Diana Renata's Avatar
    Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    5,393
    While there is really no cramping, minimal bloating, no tenderness, I do have an insatiable appetite the few days leading up to Moontime. I also tend to eat stuff I normally wouldn't go for- like slathering things with mayo, mustard, and/or hot sauce. Very fatty, spicy foods- lol.

  6. #6
    SweetPickles's Avatar
    SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    268
    Me too! My experience has been very similar, Kitty Kat. (As a side note, I've always had painful periods and I always craved red meat during AF before primal but I avoided it because everything I read told me that high fat foods would make cramps worse. D'oh! I'm not finding this to be the case now that I'm eating primally.) But I'm noticing that I'm much hungrier and I think my body is just trying to tell me it wants some extra nutrition, so I'm going with it. I haven't really had carb cravings, though, touch wood - just more food.

  7. #7
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,798
    Actually, it is normal, because you use up a little more calories when you have your TOM/losing blood. So, you are hungrier. You can try dandelion chicory root tea and broth, and see what foods agree with you the best. It might just be the day for a sweet potato or banana
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  8. #8
    KittyKat's Avatar
    KittyKat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    I think the longer you're primal, the less effect you'll see. I've been primal for nearly 2 years now and I don't have much in the way of symptoms around that time of the month (although it all comes back when I "slip"). No cravings, no bloating, no cramps, no tender boobs.
    I hope your right hun! I dont want to start obsessing about food but am feeling slightly concerned...doing well today though - more levelled out and no dinner tonight so feeling good.
    Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

  9. #9
    KittyKat's Avatar
    KittyKat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm not super into tracking my calories, but I did so for a while when I was transitioning to primal. My daily consumption is usually around 1800 to 2200 calories, but a few days before that time of the month, I will literally eat 3000 to 4000. I'm not in this to lose weight, and I've always noticed increased appetite just before "it starts," but I never realized it was that much of an increase. It's also about the only time I really feel like snacking anymore.

    Personally, I just try to keep the food I'm eating whole, healthy, and primal when my appetite really kicks in once a month. If I'm snacking on meat, veggies, eggs, and fruit I know that at least I'm getting some good nutrients. Before going primal, I would eat whole boxes of crackers and bags of chips during the same timeframe. Now going off the deep end means eating a bowl full of raw almonds or something.
    Your right on there - my increased consumption is all primal but I could go easy on the nuts. and WOW on the increase in your noted calories!!!!
    Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

  10. #10
    KittyKat's Avatar
    KittyKat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Actually, it is normal, because you use up a little more calories when you have your TOM/losing blood. So, you are hungrier. You can try dandelion chicory root tea and broth, and see what foods agree with you the best. It might just be the day for a sweet potato or banana
    Thanks Leida! I will try those suggestions especially the tea....
    Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •