Thread: IF and muscle loss page

Petra is offline Junior Member

IF and muscle loss

Shop Now
    Just something I do not get my logic around.
    If there is a calorie deficit, like in Intermittent Fasting, why should your body choose to use muscle protein instead of fat for fuel? Fat is what gets reserved for when food becomes scares, so it should be the fuel of choice.
    Is this because of leptin that did not get reset? So your body is not used to burning fat...? Maybe it is that CW that is putting this word out..
    What is your take on this?

Love to read it ,
    Petra

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Just something I do not get my logic around.
    If there is a calorie deficit, like in Intermittent Fasting, why should your body choose to use muscle protein instead of fat for fuel? Fat is what gets reserved for when food becomes scares, so it should be the fuel of choice.
    Is this because of leptin that did not get reset? So your body is not used to burning fat...? Maybe it is that CW that is putting this word out..
    What is your take on this?

Love to read it ,
    Petra
    You should realize simply by having asked your question how ridiculous calorie tracking is.

Health Correlator: Do you lose muscle if you lift weights after a 24-hour fast? Probably not if you do that regularly
    Fatty Acid Oxidation
    In contrast to the hormonal activation of adenylate cyclase and (subsequently) hormone-sensitive lipase in adipocytes, the mobilization of fat from adipose tissue is inhibited by numerous stimuli. The most significant inhibition is that exerted upon adenylate cyclase by insulin.

Thanks JS, you been a good source of information.

My focus was not as much on calorie tracking. That is boring stuff and does not work out on Paleo/Primal lifestyles as we know..

Still, when are muscles used for fuel? And if so why?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    From what I've read, it's easier for the body to use fat for fuel, so that's its preferred source. However, if a person doesn't eat sufficient protein, the body will draw on muscle tissue for its protein needs. That's why anyone who is seriously restricting calories needs to focus on eating to his/her protein requirements.

Emmie,
    Reading your reply strikes like lighting to me! In a good sense.
    Thanks for this insight.
    Petra

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    From what I've read, it's easier for the body to use fat for fuel, so that's its preferred source. However, if a person doesn't eat sufficient protein, the body will draw on muscle tissue for its protein needs. That's why anyone who is seriously restricting calories needs to focus on eating to his/her protein requirements.
    It's not as simple as that. The body will gladly strip you of muscle tissue in order to lower your calorie expenditures when food is scarce. That is what is does best - adaptation. You need to give it a very good reason not to do so, which means lifting with high intensity and working out in general. If the body thinks you're figting predators and hunting all day long, it will be very reluctant to use your muscle as fuel.

Eating enough protein will only get you so far.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Thanks JS, you been a good source of information.

My focus was not as much on calorie tracking. That is boring stuff and does not work out on Paleo/Primal lifestyles as we know..

Still, when are muscles used for fuel? And if so why?
    365: World-Renowned Low-Carb Physician Dr. Ron Rosedale | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

IIRC, Dr. Rosedale mentions in that hour and a half interview with Jimmy Moore that if your metabolism is use to burning sugar (i.e. inhibited ability to burn fat), the body will break down lean tissue (muscle, bone, etc) to convert to sugar.

Look into keto-adaptation.

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I
    The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility - GNOLLS.ORG

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    It's not as simple as that. The body will gladly strip you of muscle tissue in order to lower your calorie expenditures when food is scarce. That is what is does best - adaptation. You need to give it a very good reason not to do so, which means lifting with high intensity and working out in general. If the body thinks you're figting predators and hunting all day long, it will be very reluctant to use your muscle as fuel.

Eating enough protein will only get you so far.
    This.

Muscle is metabolically and structurally expensive. It not only requires somewhat more calories than adipose tissue even at rest, it also needs higher protein intake levels for repair and maintenance. Your body is not going to keep any more muscle on than it think it needs to get by. That's why you have to convince it that you need more by constantly pushing the limits of what you are able to do with what you've got. Then you have to make sure you are supplying the necessary energy, time and structural components (calories, rest and protein) for your body to actually build the muscle. Your body won't make the investment if it doesn't a) have enough capital and b) perceive that the expected ROI is high.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There is not necessarily a calorie deficit if you are fasting intermittently. And the fasting is short enough not to induce any muscle wasting even if there is a calorie deficit. Your body works on hormonal responses to things, not on pure calorie values.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3