Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: COOKING WITH Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter page

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member

COOKING WITH Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter

Primal Fuel
    We all know how popular cocoa butter and shea butter are for moisturizing skin and hair, but does anyone here actually cook with the two? After doing very brief research, I can't figure out why they aren't more popular. Let's start with cocoa butter.

Cocoa Butter (1 Tbsp)
    13.5g Total Fat
    8.1g SFA (60%)
    4.4g MUFA (33%)
    0.4g PUFA (3%)

Cocoa butter is also rich in Vitamin K and Vitamin E.

Now, onto shea butter.

Shea Butter

16:0 Palmitic 4.0
    18:0 Stearic 41.5
    18:1 Oleic 46.4
    18:2 Linoleic 6.6
    20:0 Arachidic 1.3

If memory serves, palmitic and stearic are SFA's, Oleic is a MUFA and linoleic and arachidic are PUFA's. That makes shea butter break down as:

45.5% SFA
    46.4% MUFA
    7.9% PUFA

Shea butter is rich in beta carotene, is known for its phenolic compounds, has been used in Africa as a cooking oil for centuries and is sometimes used in Europe to make chocolate.

Raw food grade cocoa butter can be found here for $17/lb shipped.

Shea butter is very inexpensive and 2.3 pounds of food grade shea butter can be had here for $18 shipped.

For $35, I can get shea butter and cocoa butter, all food grade. They sure have great fatty acid profiles. Why aren't we using them to cook with? Is there anything stopping us? Surely someone here has used them before?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Oil, vegetable, cocoa butter
    Cocoa Butter Nutrition | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Shea Butter: Fair Trade, Unrefined Shea Butter and African Black Soap
    Information On Shea Butter | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    cocoa butter is very very hard. unless you get a brick of it and a slicer, good luck because just spooning some out of a jar would be a workout. unless you got deodorized it would be better suited towards chocolately desserts cause it smells like a giant tub of cocoa

iiii... don't really know why you'd want to eat shea :/ unrefined smells horrible
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

ib4student is offline Member
    That's really expensive at $1.17/oz. I get organic virgin coconut oil for under $0.37/oz.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    I use cocoa butter when I make my coconut & Dark chocolate truffles... haven't made them in a while.. I've found its hard to get the right amount I need off the block I've got... its kinda a PITA.... but it tastes like unsweetened white chocolate... as for shea butter... I just mix it w/CO and slather it on my body!
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    OMG cocoa butter sounds delish! Could you just eat it off a spoon as a treat instead of, say, 85% dark chocolate?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i don't see why not

then again i don't know how it tastes, i just made soap with it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    It smells like chocolate but it tastes like chocolate only after you add cocoa, lots of cocoa. It's not my idea of a treat, of course it may well be someone elses... And in my experience it's pretty expensive ($35 Australian per 500g pack). It'd be less hassle and less expensive to just buy a good chocolate... IMHO.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

I want to try frying in it. How could sweet potatoes fried in cocoa butter not be delicious? It's basically frying with sugar free white chocolate.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i can go to any number of stores in town and buy organic, unrefined coconut oil. i've searched far and wide, and can only get organic food-grade cocoa butter online. i bet sweet potato fried in cocoa butter would be fabulous. i'd like to get some cocoa butter for making chocolates.

PrimalCon New York
    I'm getting bored with coconut oil. I have plenty of it and it lasts forever. Cocoa butter's fatty acid profile is pretty darn good - much better than nearly any fat I've seen. I may take the plunge.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast