Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glandular fever in 4 .yo: what to give him? page

Glamorama is offline Senior Member

Glandular fever in 4 .yo: what to give him?

Primal Fuel
    My son, 4.5 years old, was recently diagnosed with mononucleosis/glandular fever. As your typical doc will tell you, there is nothing to do but to rest. My naturopath recommended Vit C and D, as well as accupuncture, but I can't afford weekly sessions with him atm. Does anyone else have any ideas about other supplements, or dosage of the Vit D for kids, that might help him recover?
    I had mononucleosis/glandular fever at 23, and it was horrible. My son is nowhere near as fatigued as I was (it gets worse the older you are), but he looks really tired and flat all the time. Anyone with kids will know how hard it is to tell a 4 y.o to rest!
    Last edited by Glamorama; 11-15-2011 at 07:15 PM.

indigogirl is offline Senior Member
    So sorry, Glamorama.
    I have no words of wisdom. It's the WORST when our kids are sick.
    Isn't Glandular Fever another name for mononucleosis?
    Indigogirl

Quote Originally Posted by indigogirl View Post
    So sorry, Glamorama.
    I have no words of wisdom. It's the WORST when our kids are sick.
    Isn't Glandular Fever another name for mononucleosis?
    Yes, it must be! Sorry, I'm sticking to the Aussie term, but it is the same illness. Will re-write my original post.

indigogirl is offline Senior Member
    I had it too, at 16.
    The obvious: feed him good food, push liquids. Research the proper doses of vitmain D3 and C for his age. He'll slow down and rest when he needs to!
    Young children are incredibly resilient.
    Indigogirl

Quote Originally Posted by indigogirl View Post
    I had it too, at 16.
    The obvious: feed him good food, push liquids. Research the proper doses of vitmain D3 and C for his age. He'll slow down and rest when he needs to!
    Young children are incredibly resilient.
    I think proper dose for kids of D3 is 2000 IU a day (think I saw that in the monster-tread but will PM our resident Vit D3-experts and see what they say).
    I'm failing at the good food-thing. All the meals I cook are primal, but I have been giving him ice cream because it soothes the sore throat. I will do primal smoothies instead... that way I can sneak in some fresh fruit too!

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    man that sucks... the vitamin D council recommends 1000mg of Vit D3/25lbs of body weight... so depending on how much ds weighs you can easily give him 2000mg w/o issues

both dd and ds are taking 1000IU of Vit D3/day + a multi
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Make sure he's drinking lots of water. Increase raw foods and quality proteins and avoid dairy. Bio-Immunozyme Forte, IAG, and Ultra Vir-X will help, they're food grade supplements. PM me if you want more info.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    man that sucks... the vitamin D council recommends 1000mg of Vit D3/25lbs of body weight... so depending on how much ds weighs you can easily give him 2000mg w/o issues

both dd and ds are taking 1000IU of Vit D3/day + a multi
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    Make sure he's drinking lots of water. Increase raw foods and quality proteins and avoid dairy. Bio-Immunozyme Forte, IAG, and Ultra Vir-X will help, they're food grade supplements. PM me if you want more info.
    Ok, cool, that makes sense. He is nearly 50 lbs so 2000 IU should do fine then.

He has been asking for lots of water himself, so it must be a real need, he drinks much more than usual. He is good with his primal meals (unlike his twin, who hates anything thats not made of pasta...) but his apetite seems less than before he got sick. What do the supplements contain? Minerals, vitamins? Enzymes?

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Coconut water popsicles instead of the icecream. For acupuncture, do you have community acupuncture clinics in your area? What about an acupuncture school? Both options are less than a traditional visit.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Coconut water popsicles instead of the icecream. For acupuncture, do you have community acupuncture clinics in your area? What about an acupuncture school? Both options are less than a traditional visit.
    Not as far as I know. ATM we are being charged $51 pr session, which is a lot on top of all the supplements and other health needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast