Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Guys and Bad Guys page

RitaRose is offline Senior Member

Good Guys and Bad Guys

Shop Now
    Okay, so maybe this is a little bit of a rant, but I'm seriously going nuts here (PUFAs be damned).

I am constantly hearing "Grains are bad" or "Carbs are bad" or "Fat is good" and on and on. It's so frustrating!

Not only is any single food neither all good nor all bad, but painting every food in a group with the same broad brush is getting really old too. Yeah, I'm not a fan of wheat, but that doesn't mean white rice is a biological terrorist hiding behind Uncle Ben's smiling face. Sure, they're both grains, but...

And it happens with nearly every food group. It reminds me of watching the old Westerns where the good guys and the bad guys were clearly just that, 100% good or bad, depending on the color hat they wore.

I just wish everyone could see food on a spectrum, with good choices, better choices and worse choices. And the best choice for one person may be the absolute worst choice for someone else, and vice versa.

Why? Because I still think I'm a freaking special snowflake, and so is food.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Just had a conversation on facebook with a person allergic to beef. Boom. Can't follow that.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Bad is used relatively, obviously. Grains are bad relative to other choices. Nobody's debating whether you can live off of them.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Okay, so maybe this is a little bit of a rant, but I'm seriously going nuts here (PUFAs be damned).

I am constantly hearing "Grains are bad" or "Carbs are bad" or "Fat is good" and on and on. It's so frustrating!

Not only is any single food neither all good nor all bad, but painting every food in a group with the same broad brush is getting really old too. Yeah, I'm not a fan of wheat, but that doesn't mean white rice is a biological terrorist hiding behind Uncle Ben's smiling face. Sure, they're both grains, but...

And it happens with nearly every food group. It reminds me of watching the old Westerns where the good guys and the bad guys were clearly just that, 100% good or bad, depending on the color hat they wore.

I just wish everyone could see food on a spectrum, with good choices, better choices and worse choices. And the best choice for one person may be the absolute worst choice for someone else, and vice versa.

Why? Because I still think I'm a freaking special snowflake, and so is food.
    So true. Unfortunately if you think like this primal or paleo isn't the diet for you. Primal, paleo, low fat, atkins, etc. is ALL about vilifying certain foods or even whole macronutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Bad is used relatively, obviously. Grains are bad relative to other choices. Nobody's debating whether you can live off of them.
    Yeah, but grains aren't bad as a group; if anything wheat is, but not all grains. I still think white rice is perfectly fine, assuming you can handle the carbs, which many people do. But that's my point - that every food has its good and bad points, and those are going to be different for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    So true. Unfortunately if you think like this primal or paleo isn't the diet for you. Primal, paleo, low fat, atkins, etc. is ALL about vilifying certain foods or even whole macronutrients.
    You know, I don't think we agree on a lot of things, but I'm definitely with you on this one.

I do know there are some here that get it, that understand it's a matter of moment by moment choices, so I try to hang out with them.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    You know, I don't think we agree on a lot of things, but I'm definitely with you on this one.

I do know there are some here that get it, that understand it's a matter of moment by moment choices, so I try to hang out with them.
    I'd like to think that once I can cope, I'm able to have, say, a tiny bit of bread or cake without my whole world falling apart. I think the key is to know your occassions and have it once in a while if you must (and if you can handle it without going on epic binges).

I still feel too frail to go out and try "bad" foods from my past, but I think once I've been primal for a lot longer, I will trust myself and my ability to stop at just a little bit, and enjoy it for what it is.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Food is simple.

If you can eat it raw, it's food.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Food is simple.

If you can eat it raw, it's food.
    Oh no!!

Not you too sweet D?

Did we lose you to durianbiter?

WHHHYYYYYYY?????

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Can't eat spinach raw. Oxalates. And meat has parasites. Even wild water shouldn't be drank raw. We cook for a reason. Cook your food.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast