Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Food is simple.

If you can eat it raw, it's food.
    Amen sister.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Can't eat spinach raw.
    lol, millions of people eat spinach raw every day.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Umm if you read Mark's posts about white rice/ and even oats you'll see he agrees with you. I completely agree that certain things have their places, although some never do (wheat). White rice is fine post workout as well as any kind of potatoes. Some things are better then others. Nuts are fine if you don't eat too many of them, I think they are great for snacking while on a hike with some fruit...even raisins on a long hike.

Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

I dont know that anyone says rice is always bad nor nuts, so I think the majority agrees with you.

Abe Wagner is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Yeah, but grains aren't bad as a group; if anything wheat is, but not all grains. I still think white rice is perfectly fine, assuming you can handle the carbs, which many people do. But that's my point - that every food has its good and bad points, and those are going to be different for everyone.
    This is a good write up citing an article in Nature of Sept 2011 discussing how consuming rice and white potatoes interferes with human gene expression.
    Rice, Potatoes, Wheat, and Other Plants Interfere with Human Gene Expression | Evolvify

In my personal opinion, all grains are bad. (Yes, I said it ) From an evolutionary standpoint, a plant will ALWAYS want to deter you from digesting its reproductive parts. If you consume (digest) the part of the plant thats supposed to become the new plant, its game over for that plant from a passing-on-genes standpoint. Plants can't run away or fight back like animals can, so they include chemical deterrents to protect thier ability to pass on their genetic legacy. Yes, we know all of the bad stuff about wheat, but thats b/c its the most prevelant and therefore has the most research done on it. But in general, I think that humans are best to always avoid the reproductive parts of plants. As more and more research is done on other grains, I believe more and more negative things will come to light. But just using the abstract frame work of plants protecting their ability to reproduce is enough for me to make the assumption that all grains are to be avoided.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Yeah, but grains aren't bad as a group; if anything wheat is, but not all grains. I still think white rice is perfectly fine, assuming you can handle the carbs, which many people do. But that's my point - that every food has its good and bad points, and those are going to be different for everyone.
    Who is your rant directed at exactly then? It was my understanding most people here understood rice was better than wheat.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 11-16-2011 at 10:56 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    ^I've seen a lot of new people come in with "But rice! But Asian cultures!" lately and overall. It's an understandable rut point, where people get stuck in a rut about the grain that doesn't seem SO BAD. But to them I say, do your own research.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    I came to a resolution to use common sense and not get so caught up in stuff. Everyone knows what they are supposed to eat. Stay away from processed food and fast food. Eat your vegetables, meats and good fats. Will occasional rice in moderation kill or cause any damage, NO. Will even occasional slice of good bread from a bakery made from whole ingredients kill you and cause any damage, NO. Will things like buckwheat, quinoa, or potatoes kill or or harm you too much, NO (or at least I think so). Just don't make them a staple (but even if you do, you will probably be fine). This is of course only suitable for a healthy people who don't need to loose weight. Most people go on paleo diet is because they need to lose weight or because they have some disease like diabetes that can be managed with paleo instead of pills. For those cases, the dietary requirements might be very different and very specific.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Can't eat spinach raw. Oxalates. And meat has parasites. Even wild water shouldn't be drank raw. We cook for a reason. Cook your food.
    I consume all of these things raw, and have since I was a child. Healthy as a freakin' horse.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Will even occasional slice of good bread from a bakery made from whole ingredients kill you and cause any damage, NO. Will things like buckwheat, quinoa, or potatoes kill or or harm you too much, NO (or at least I think so).

This is exactly why a lot of people eat them year in year out and at age ~40 ish the degenerative diseases start.
    A lot of foods that are bad from an evolutionary stand point...but only WE (the primal, caveman folks) know this and so we are catching up on our health early (let's hope) and not let things get that far. I agree with you completely.

People just don't have any common sense. Why don't we grind down apple seeds and make them into flour. Or plum seeds, pear seeds, or grind up pumpkin seeds (oh wait, do they do that?).
    I've been told that giving apple seeds to a small child will cause kidney failure from the poison. (not sure if true)

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just wanted to get my thoughts out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12