Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulcer problem, can't eat solids page

Ulcer problem, can't eat solids

Hey guys,

I just got out of the hospital for having an ulcer stuck in my esophagus. The doctor told me to stick to a soft diet, no meat. How can i stay primal until it heals? Any ideas besides bone broth and eggs to help get my protein up. Also is their anything that will help this heal quicker? I'm 17, 5,7 and 135lbs I can't afford to lose weight lol. Thanks, Matt

Paleobird Guest
    Blender smoothies. Endless possibilities of combinations of fruit, yoghurt,milk, cream, etc. You can even add raw eggs for some more protein. Delicious and soothing to the throat. I hope you are feeling better soon.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Agree-lots of smoothies-use coconut milk/cream/nut butters to keep the calories up and add fruit or even sweet potatos. Combining fat and carbs will help keep the weight on. Though not ideal, whey protein will help you get enough protein. Cottage cheese/salmon(any fish) are other good options for soft foods.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Is it no meat because meat is too tough, or no meat because meat will, chemically, make your ulcer worse? I don't see why an esophageal ulcer would stop you from digesting meat as long as you can get it to your stomach, and there's nothing stopping you making a steak smoothie...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Paleobird Guest
    How about a lox and cream cheese smoothie? That sounds good.

Thanks for the replies!

Smoothie ideas sound great, just got to find some good recipes. I'll probably stick with coconut milk instead of dairy, I tend to get acne with cream and yogurt. I can't have meat because it's tough and every time i swallow I feel a sharp pain.

Do you guys thinks lettuce would be too rough or just eat well cooked veggies?

Paleobird Guest
    You could also make some green smoothies to get your veggies without tearing up your throat. Only you can tell what is "too rough".

Also, about the dairy products. I'm long since past things like zits but I've heard that raw dairy products can actually improve such skin problems. Raw dairy is well tolerated by people like me who have digestive and inflammatory issues with milk. IDK about NY laws on raw dairy but, if you can find it, it tastes awesome. Might be worth a try.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 11-15-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I would really try hard to get animal protein and fat in as much quantity as you can without hurting your esophagus. I would invest in a good food processor and just really blend your meat until it is a liquid. Eggs are going to be your friend here too, if you don't mind them raw.

Another thing you can try is adding coconut milk in the processor too--I imagine a smoothly blended meat-and-coconut-milk smoothie is probably one of the most nutritionally dense and easily digested things you could eat (unless you blend some raw or lightly cooked liver in with it too), and there's no way it'll be rough if you puree it well enough.

There's just no substitute for good red meat in terms of promoting health and healing. But Paleobird is right about raw dairy too--probably one of the better substitutes for meat, nutritionally speaking.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Sea buckthorn oil, a source of omega 7 fatty acids, has specific ulcer healing properties. It acts on all mucosal tissues in the body: http://www.transformyourhealth.com/a...articletyh.pdf

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Manuka honey is reported to have an anti-microbial effect on h. pylori, the cause of most esophageal ulcers (as a result usually of GERD).

I absolutely could not tolerate dairy when I was dealing with severe GERD. You may want to focus on healing instead of avoiding abrasion? If I were you, I would make some fatty soups such as creamed squash, pumpkin, spinach etc - and I mean fatty by generous inclusion of grass fed cow butter, good quality olive oil and coconut oil. I would also stay away from those supplements that go halfway down and seem to adhere - lots of those gelatin caps get sticky when damp. I left a fish oil capsule on the counter once, and the counter was damp, and it adhered to the point I had to get a putty knife to remove it. On another note, my dog got a bad case of gastritis lately from drinking water out of our bird-poop and algae containing bird bath, and I put him on a gut-resting diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice. Since he cannot have onion or garlic I did not season his chicken but you could simmer yours with celery, carrot and onion, and then shred it. It does get boring, but at least it is real food, and something you can sink your teeth into. Also, you can bake up a batch of sweet potatoes - I am partial to the Garnet variety - just poke em good with a fork so they do not burst in the oven. They are really easy to digest. When my babies were making the transition off breast milk to table food I started them on bananas and sweet potato chunks. I only gave them food when they were old enough to grab it and stuff it in their mouths. I did not add any meat until they were totally weaned off the breast. They went from mommy moo to learning to drink water from a cup, and I also gave them strained chicken broth and veggie broth in a cup. Those turned out to be their comfort foods when they got older and had tummy upsets from teething and the like. We still like to make what my grandmother called Jewish penicillin. It is chicken soup made with mostly chicken, seasoned as I mentioned above, and had white rice in it. I had to have rotator cuff surgery last year and that soup was my mainstay food during the post op period when I was sick as a dog from the anesthetics and pain meds. Leaving the fat in the soup increased the calories also.

Good luck to you. I have some of that honey, and it is incredibly good. I got it at the Vitamin Shoppe, here in California, and you may be able to find it at online retailers. It works for me, so give it a try. They say take it on a cracker, but I put it on a slice of apple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast