Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snacking page 2

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Maybe you're not hungry enough. It's pretty easy to eat 2000 calories in one meal. One possible strategy would be to try one meal a day and see what you can really do! Or, as suggested, shop for more calorically-dense food.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Even on the days I'm really hungry I never hit over 1400 calories. This probably comes from my constant dieting before going primal, I never ate more than 1300 calories and when you're consuming a lot of carbs like I was it was easy to hit 1300 with a lot less food. I've never been able to eat a lot; even as a kid I always ate really small portions. You may be right about not needing as many calories, I'm still used to trying to hit that magic # of calories everyday (another symptom of dieting before PB), but I'm learning that I don't need to eat a specific # of calories every day nor do I need to count them constantly. I wouldn't even track calories, but it helps me understand how much protein/fat/carbs I'm eating everyday. I could add in some more carbs, but I'm afraid if I do I'll stop losing weight. My goal is weightloss and lowering my body fat % so I'm trying to stay as low carb as possible. I just finished the 21 day transformation and everytime I've had any kind of grains or starchy carbs I get an upset stomach so I'm stuck with rice for now.

I just bought The Primal Blueprint and haven't made it to the chapter on IF yet, but I should probably skip ahead and read it since so many people have suggested I give it a try. I did go through some issues with anorexia as a teen, and I'm a little worried IF might bring up those issues. I'm a lot healthier now (mentally) and doubt I'd fall back into anorexia, but the thought of it does frighten me a little.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Easy way to get a dollop of calories is a nice can of coconut milk. 765 calories of saturated fat in just a few smooth swallows.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Easy way to get a dollop of calories is a nice can of coconut milk. 765 calories of saturated fat in just a few smooth swallows.
    Totally not stomach-able the first time around lol. Especially since she seems to have a pretty sensitive stomach.

I would second the recommendation of upping the carbs a touch. Or eat more protein.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    You can count me as part of the "too few calories for too long" camp. I've found simply getting used to eating "normal" amounts of solid food (esp. meat) in a meal again to be quite the hurdle to overcome after many years of weight loss attempts. Many days I find myself starting to feel "full" a third, perhaps halfway into a meal, and need to dedicate an extra 5-10min at the table to get through everything.

I've found small sips of liquid while eating to be helpful at times, along with making sure food is well seasoned & sauced. (dry, bland or uninteresting food is especially tough to choke down)

I know many around here advocate not counting calories, but IMO some sort of tracking is essential when pulling yourself out of long term calorie restriction, otherwise it's far too easy to slip back into old habits & food intake levels...

Feeling full & satisfied may be a good indicator for some, but simply following my hunger would leave me eating maybe 1500 calories, and that simply isn't enough for someone my size. (6'1" and ~260lbs)
    Last edited by Fury; 11-15-2011 at 07:49 PM.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Totally not stomach-able the first time around lol. Especially since she seems to have a pretty sensitive stomach.

I would second the recommendation of upping the carbs a touch. Or eat more protein.
    I really like coconut milk, and despite having a sensitive stomach I've actually been able to drink about 4 oz of it as well as 1 TBS of coconut oil in the protein shakes I was drinking for breakfast since eggs have suddenly started causing really bad stomach aches. I've since learned that protein shakes probably aren't the best option, but for me they're the best way to get in the amount of protein I need to eat until I can get back to eating eggs again. I could easily drink more coconut milk. I'm surprised I didn't think of that as an option until you brought it up.

cranehigh is offline Senior Member
    I'm hitting right around 1400 to 1600 a day right now, and it seems to be pretty much perfect for feeling good and losing weight. It did take a while for it to feel right though. At first I felt like I was eating WAY too much food (another long time dieter here) and I struggled to get up to even 1100 or 1200. Then everything started tasting fantastic so suddenly I was scarfing down over 2000 calories a day and maintaining instead of losing weight. It's really clicked in the last few weeks, and two or three meals fits it in nicely. That said, I still have a harder time having breakfast be high calorie, so a lot of the time I just let breakfast do its thing, eat what I can, and then have a bigger dinner.

Snacking can be tricky when you're trying to lose weight or get lean, but if you're going to, a lot of people recommend having your snack after a workout. I'm thinking more coconut milk smoothie type things would fit nicely there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12