Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primally pist... page

daccathara is offline Junior Member

Primally pist...

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

My wife and I have both been following Primal for sometime now, three months...and we have not seen ANY results. If anything we have gained weight. How much does the physical activity have to do with the results? I was expecting to see at least see some results just from the eating side of everything. We are not really exercising at all much. I am busy studying for the CPA exam and my mornings, lunches and evenings are dedicated to studying. My wife, she is on and off but she has a lot of joint issues, arthritis, just a lot of body pain in general, so it's hard for her to work out on a regular basis. Anyway, bottomline, we both expected to see results just from changing our eating habits. I'm not sure what's going on here....PLEASE HELP!

Dave

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Can you give us a few days' typical meal plan, including quantities? Also, some height/weight/age/medical condition info would help.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

daccathara is offline Junior Member
    Me
    5'10", 250lbs, 30 yrs - never been this heavy in my life, have sleep apnea...breathing issues...dr's aren't really helping.

My wife
    5'2", 165lbs, 28 yrs - also never really been this heavy, lots of joint issues, arthritis, migraines, constipation...

Breakfast
    Coffee (1-2cups max) - I use a little Stevia.
    Eggs w/ grass fed ground beef, either scrambled or in an omelet, with some mushrooms, onions and peppers.
    may have some blueberries or pear

Snack
    Grass fed beef sticks (1 or 2), another fruit of some sort

Salad
    BAS - w/ spinach, greens, onions, peppers, some olive oil or home made dressing, topped with either grilled chicken or gluten free turkey/chicken breast

Snack - Apple w/ some peanut butter, or, maybe a beef stick and an apple.

Dinner - rotate thru the week of Grass fed steak, pork chops, salmon, tuna, lamb chop with a side of veggies like broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, kale. We top it with some grass fed butter.

My wife doesn't eat the snacks as much as I do (since she's a nurse and she's always running around and doesn't have time compared to my boring desk job).

So ya, we really try to eat as much WHOLE FOODS as possible and limit processed foods to maybe once or twice on the weekends.

SO FRUSTRATED (MY WIFE MORE THAN I)

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Hi Dave,

I guess one thing you've got to remember is that it's most likely taken you quite a while to put the excess body fat on, right?
    It's not going to drop off in a few weeks. Especially if you're metabolically deranged, hormones out of whack, sleeping poorly etc.
    Poor sleep will make losing fat harder, but for some it's a chicken/egg problem as they can't sleep better until they lose some fat.

It may just take while for your system to sort itself out and for the weight loss to start. Is your aim to get healthy or slim?
    If you concentrate on getting healthy first, the weight loss will come.

On the whole the food looks good. Though, you may find that you get better results if you drop the fruit for a while too, as 3 apples would give you roughly 75g of carbs, plus any additonal carbs that you're eating in your meals, could push you over 100g/day.

Try aiming a little lower in the carb range for a few weeks, say 50g to 75g/day and see how that works for you.

When you say "Eggs w/ grass fed ground beef" how many eggs would you each eat & how much beef? While calories aren't the most important thing, they do still have an impact, especially if you're not moving around much. So you may not want to be having 6 eggs and a pound of beef mince every morning for brekkie

You may also want to try cutting out dairy for a month to see if that helps with the migraines & arthritis. If it doesn't you've missed out on some milk in your coffee, if it does you've worked out that dairy isn't your best friend. If it's the latter and you really miss it, you can try adding different types of dairy back in one at a time a few days to a week a part e.g. reintroduce butter on Monday, if no migraines or joint pain by Friday add back heavy whipping cream (good for your coffee apparently ), if still no problems the following week try yoghurt, etc. If anything does cause you issues, don't eat it again

Good luck.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Paleobird Guest
    Try reading this post by Mark. It sounds like the stress level in your life right now may be a bit high and getting in the way.

17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Stress and the apnea may be issues.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    You say that you "have not seen ANY results". I am curious what results are you looking for? It is a sincere question. I find that my awareness of results is often limited to the ones I am looking for. For a while, my main measure of progress was my abdominal circumference and I was getting quite frustrated that it hadn't changed much. Then a friend pointed out how much leaner I was in the legs, back, and shoulders/chest.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I would cut the snacks for a bit
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    You might check out the Leptin Reset. There are several threads around here that address it. According to the Reset, you should never snack because it messes with your metabolism, insulin levels, etc. I've taken that advice to heart and have had some success. You might cut out your snacks and concentrate on getting your calories in 3 meals/day. Also agree with others that you're probably eating too much fruit. When I first started Primal, I only had fruit a couple of times/week. Now I average maybe one piece/day (some days I have none). I treat it much more like "dessert" - or at least my old SAD definition of dessert. Sometimes after dinner, my hubby & I split one apple or pear as our dessert - that's plenty.

As for exercising, even if you can't do an official workout, can you find quick & simple ways to fit in more activity? Take the stairs whenever possible. Park farther away from your destination and get in some short walks? If you're on conference calls at your desk, do some squats? The principle of "move frequently at a slow pace" is really just a new way of thinking about how you live and finding easy ways to live a more active life. I have stressful and busy periods in my life where I can't exercise as frequently, but I'm always looking for opportunities to move more.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Some irritating possibilities worth considering:
    Nightshades stress out some people's bodies. You could try going without them for a few weeks and see what happens.

You don't need fruit. At all. If you want to lose weight, cut out the apples. Once you're at a weight you want to maintain, hit that fruit once in awhile.

Peanuts contain synthetic proteins that your body rejects as foreign. You (every human) are experiencing systemic inflammation from consuming proteins that do not exist in nature. They've become part of your body, and your body is attacking itself to remove the foreign protein. You can thank Big Agra for this, and drop the peanuts. Today.

What are your grass-fed beef sticks made of? Full ingredient list.

gluten free turkey/chicken breast
    OMG. What are you eating? What weird, twisted corporation needs to put 'Gluten Free' on turkey, and (I have to ask) what sort of weird chemicals have they put into your food? Read all of your labels right now and throw away anything you can't pronounce unless it's a vitamin. And even that's a gray area.

Kick it back a notch. You don't need anything besides healthy fats, vegetables and meat. Start there, and add foods gradually to find out what you can tolerate.

At your weight, a little exercise goes a long way. Don't stress yourself out by overworking your body. Twice a week weight-lifting and speed walks are all you need to get the fire going. Ramp it up later when you plateau.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 11-15-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast