Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primally pist... page 2

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    You do understand the fat your body stores needs to be used as energy for it to go away, right?

You can't expect diet change to quickly undo years of bad habits.

1949katie is offline Member
    I think your both really stressed out. You've been going to school and a lot hangs on your doing well on the exam. If you guys are up for it at this time, I suggest you try an easy 18 hour fast (dinner to lunch the next day) and cut back on the fruit. Good luck on your test!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I started right away at as low carb as I could possibly go. Then I went even lower. I didn't see any results for 6 weeks even though I ran, power-walked or hiked every day. Even though I ate only two meals a day and normal portions and no snacks. Even though I didn't cheat not even one single tiny little bit. Even though I ate no fruit at all. 6 weeks and nothing! Argh!

But, in the mean time, I had TONS of other results. I had low carb flu, felt weak. I had terrible electrolyte issues to figure out. I started taking supplements to deal with that. I felt different, mentally more calm, physically very calm from the lack of hunger and energy spikes. I've had cramps. I've had a few days when I though maybe I was killing myself with this diet, like seriously maybe I'm going to die. I've had days of feeling really awesome. I've gotten my strength back. I've accidentally intermittently fasted without hunger even though I was hiking in the mountains. And now, finally, at long last, real weight loss. It's finally working.

You may have to go lower carb or give it more time or both. In the mean time, it might help a little to pay attention to other changes in your body. Is anything different happening at all yet?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I was "loosely" primal for a few years, and had some weight loss improvement, but I could NEVER seem to lose that last 15 lbs. The first 2 months that I went "completely" primal for unrelated health reasons, i expected the weight would come right off...but NOTHING. It was incredibly frustrating, and seemed like the better the food I gave my body, the more it gave me the middle finger and clung onto that extra belly fat. It wasn't until decompressing over summer vacation (I'm a teacher) that the weight started melting off, very slowly, but it did get better. That's when I realized that probably my weight wasn't budging because I had been chronically stressed (without even being consciously aware of how much), which probably was the reason behind my inability to lose weight. Everyone knows that chronic stress is not good, but I don't think most people realize the ravaging physical affects it can have.

Granted, I lose weight MUCH, MUCH slower than I expect I should, but it is improving. The important thing is to not give up, because sometimes success comes so slowly that it's easy to be fooled into thinking nothing is changing...until you put on a pair of pants you haven't worn in a few months and realize they're definitely too big.

LessThanZero is offline Member
    You might try pushing your fasting period longer (skip breakfast). If you're constantly eating food then you're constantly with insulin in your bloodstream. If you have insulin in your bloodsteam, you won't be oxidizing fats; you'll be storing them. especially if you are not active.

As other have mentioned, try and lower your carb intake (especially modern apples bred for high fructose content, fructose is nasty stuff). Banana might be a better choice for the safe starches and sugars it contains...but not with each meal or anything (you're trying to lose weight, right?).

The easiest way to transition to burning fat is when your body is already not typically hungry...the morning. I find if I overindulge in carbs in the evening, I'm artificially hungrier in the morning, but it goes away rather quickly as your body responds to the hunger signals and releases some fatty acids.

Take pride in that feeling of mastering your hunger urges. Each time you conquer it your body is burning fat. You'll also notice that with the slight hunger edge also comes clarity and focus...that's Ghrelin. Savor that feeling, it makes you better in every aspect of your life.

I Am A Ghrelin Addict - GNOLLS.ORG

Consider this, are you eating because you're hungry or are you eating because you're "supposed to"?

my experience led me down the intermittant fasting route which has given me an entirely different outlook on life. It's not for everyone, but do some searching on the topic and you'll find it's safe and offers good weight loss results (and likely health benefits as well).

Oh, being active doesn't mean crazy time committments, we're talking about taking a walk for 20 or 30 minutes a few times a week. Going for a hike or a bike ride. Just move around

<0

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Really excellent, encouraging comments, even for someone that has been her for a few months, the MDA I love.

Good luck with primal, remember we are looking at the whole body, the weight gain is a manifestation of other problems, these have to be looked at first.
    Life. Be in it.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    While I, personally, am a fan of intermittent fasting in some cases, I'm not sure it's appropriate for you right now. Your bodies are already suffering from poor sleep and excessive stress. Fasting is just another stressor. The body's hormonal response to stressors (cortisol release, among other things) tells your body to hang onto fat. I'd focus more on some intentional relaxation (meditation, Feldenkrais, prayer, slow walks at sunset, whatever works for you) and improving quality and quantity of sleep (9+ hours per night. not kidding).

Also, nix the processed foods, even the relatively high quality ones (those beef sticks and deli meats). Replace with fresh versions cooked in healthful fats. Try replacing most of the fruits with veggies.

Some thoughts on IF: Fast? Food. NightLife
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I took a lot of notes off the archevore website. This post is very good: Archevore - Archevore Blog - How to Lose*Weight

Basically, he says there that if you are having trouble losing weight or metabolically broken, you have to get your body into ketosis. You may have to go to as little as 5% carbs in your diet. You should probably eliminate fructose entirely (that means fruit). You may want to eliminate artificial sweeteners because they jack up insulin in some people. Absolutely no gluten grains or vegetable oils or foods high in Omega 6. Try eating only one big meal a day with decaf coffee and heavy cream to tide you over during the day (but don't nurse on it.) Once you are keto-adapted, which is when you can be in ketosis without feeling dizzy, fasting (one meal a day) will come easily and naturally. Until then, two meals will suffice.

This has so far been working for me although it took some time to see any progress and I still can't do only one meal a day every day. I'm going to continue as long as I possibly can.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

BrassyDel is offline Member
    As I'm new 'round here, I have a limited scope I feel I can comment on. However, has your wife especially considered eliminating eggs and nightshades for a couple of weeks, then re-adding (challenge) to see if they bother her, especially in regards to her arthritis? I never realized how aggravating they were to me until I cut them out, and they are a common trigger for arthritis and joint pain. Eggs seem to only sometimes bother me, but the nightshades made a huge difference for me. White potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, all peppers, chiles, cayenne, chili powder, paprika. For me, I stumbled upon Primal after researching anti-inflammatory diets to deal with the systemic inflammation I've had all my life.

Just my n=1 experience: you may not see appreciable weight loss until you eliminate whatever is causing your auto-immune issues (for me, asthma, eczema, joint pain, chest wall inflammation, hypothyroid, and depression all went together). As my inflammation and all the corresponding symptoms start to fade away, the weight is coming off, too. I have to be extremely careful with ingredient labels, since I discovered a severe corn intolerance. Even a lot of deli meat has corn in it, and I react most severely to corn than anything else. Cutting it out entirely from my diet has made a tremendous impact on my health and pain levels.

daccathara is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How do you determine how badly stressed you are? The thing is, we've both lost considerable amounts of weight before (I did Turbulence Training), but we were working out consistently. We got into this b/c we were under the impression that diet alone is 90% and that we would see results right away. There is just no way possible we can get 9+ hours of sleep with our schedules. It's impossible. We are going to make more of an effort with our workouts (going to use SimpleFit.org) and see how that works. I just want to know how do you know if you are hormonally imbalanced?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast