Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Fermenting Cream? page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Easy Fermenting Cream?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I have pasturized cream bought from the store. Can I just heat it to 110 degrees, stir in a tablespoon of storebought buttermilk or some of my hubby's storebought live culture yogurt (out of fridge or room temp?), cover with a paper towel and leave on the counter overnight? Will that do it?

I've read a bunch of other alternatives on this site with raw cream, kefir grains, etc. but I'd like to know if my idea in particular will work as it is easiest for me, thanks tons.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    That should work - you can try different timings to see what results come out best (but do take a note!). I leave my cream in a yoghurt maker for 36 hours to ensure that it's lactose free, too.

atomickim is offline Junior Member
    Storebought buttermilk wouldn't work unless the cultures are live, but the yogurt should (or whey from the yogurt).

Thank you both! How much yogurt do you think I would need for a pint of cream? Should the results taste slightly sour?

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Cream won't culture as well as milk - you're basically making creme fraiche, which will taste slightly sour, but it won't be anywhere near as tangy as yogurt or kefir. The cultures feed off the lactose, and there's nowhere near as much in cream as in milk. And, if it's ultrapasteurized, it might go weird. I would use a quarter cup of yogurt for a pint of cream - but here buttermilk has live cultures, so I usually use that when I'm making creme fraiche. It works better - check to see if you can get buttermilk with active cultures in it before you resort to yogurt.

Spughy, thank you so much for your informative post, exactly what I needed to know. I will check out the buttermilk for sure now, appreciate your tips.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    You could always mix in some milk with your heavy cream and then add the buttermilk and yogurt. It may ruin its ability to whip if you add too much milk, though. I've added buttermilk to regular pasteurized cream before and it worked well to whip it into tangy butter. Yes, it's nowhere near as tangy as kefir, but it was definitely noticeable. And it was just Shop Rite brand buttermilk with Trader Joe's pasteurized cream.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Thanks for the ideas ChocoTaco, I am sticking to the heavy cream because I'm trying to avoid as much lactose as possible. What a cool idea for butter! I'm glad to hear it is not as tangy as kefir, I don't like that about kefir and would love something milder so fermented cream sounds perfect. Would you recommend a 1/4 cup of buttermilk to one pint of cream or 1/8 cup of buttermilk and 1/8 cup of yogurt? Appreciate your comments.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    Thanks for the ideas ChocoTaco, I am sticking to the heavy cream because I'm trying to avoid as much lactose as possible. What a cool idea for butter! I'm glad to hear it is not as tangy as kefir, I don't like that about kefir and would love something milder so fermented cream sounds perfect. Would you recommend a 1/4 cup of buttermilk to one pint of cream or 1/8 cup of buttermilk and 1/8 cup of yogurt? Appreciate your comments.
    You kinda need lactose for what you're going for. The live cultures consume the lactose and whilst consuming, they create lactic acid as a byproduct. That is what gives you the tangier taste. After consuming, there is very little lactose left as it's mostly all been converted to lactic acid, so there's no reason to "avoid lactose" unless your goal is to "avoid flavor". If you want more flavor, put a few tablespoons of skim milk in there just to add lactose. It'll get consumed by the live cultures anyway, but it'll increase the lactic acid content and therefore flavor. It won't be like yogurt or kefir because there will be a lot more lactose in those two, but I think you'll be a little upset with how bland the cream will be. Saying you want that fermented flavor but you're trying to avoid lactose is like saying you want to drive on public roads but you're avoiding ever being in a car.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-18-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, ChocoTaco that is very interesting! I had no idea, thanks for explaining it so well!!!

So, perhaps I should go with a pint of half and half, that would do it, right? If I add a 1/4 cup of my hubby's yogurt to a pint of half and half and leave it out and covered for 36 hours I'll finally have a mild tasting, low-lactose fermented cream-style drink?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast