Thread: Insulin after heavy weight training. page

Al Mondz is offline Junior Member

Insulin after heavy weight training.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding the above. We know that we should avoid an insulin spike at all costs, which is easy if eating a primal diet, however, as we know insulin is a master hormone and controls the flow of nutrients into the muscles. We also know that insulin is highly anabolic, more so than testosterone/HGH at the right time. That right time being the window of opertunity directly after training. So after completing a heavy resistance workout (primal style I should add) would it not be nessesery or even highly benaficial to take on bored some form of high GI carb, prefrably in the form of pure glugose with other nutriants such as BCAA's/Glutamine/Creatine, so that a large insulin responce occurs. The body should be able to deal very effectivly with the glucose/insulin in turning it into glygogen for the depleted muscles, while shutting all those extra nutrients were they are needed most ?

I should add that I have been doing this for a few weeks while eating/training primal and seen no bad responce, however I want to check if this is what should be done ? I find no real reference to this in "The Primal Blueprint", just a quick sentence which sort of explains the above.

Thanks in adfvance, Al.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    you are completely correct Al.

the insulin spike that people fear and dread on these boards is generally in the context of overweight people who are trying to shed fat and not add muscle. You are correct that if you are looking to add muscle you need to properly feed recovery post workout. This is the ideal time to consume organic whole milk, carbs and foods that raise insulin levels in order to transport nutrients to your muscles to use for recovery.

This is in context to adding muscle mass. if you are looking to maintain or simply live healthy it is not necessary. Remember though that you don't get stronger by exercising/lifting you get stronger by recovering from your exercise/lifting.
    ad astra per aspera

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    honestly...the insulin fear that is common in the paleo community is way overstated in my opinion, especially for those who are already lean and healthy. Insulin is responsible for shuttling amino acids (protein) as well as glycogen into your muscles after you lift, so eating a large serving of carbs is a good thing.

Check out leangains.com for more information on this. I've started eating 150-300g of carb on heavy lifting days and I feel better, am getting stronger, and also losing fat. It's great!

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    So in what form does you guys get your post-workout spike?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes roasted in coconut oil, with red pepper flakes. To. Die. For.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    I'm to die for

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie View Post
    i'm to die for
    lol
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    So in what form does you guys get your post-workout spike?
    White potatoes. Mountains of them. Usually 800g+. Sometimes white rice. I tried sweet potatoes because I actually like how they taste better, but white potatoes seem to agree more with my digetive tract.

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    Sweet potatoes roasted in coconut oil, with red pepper flakes. To. Die. For.
    i would avoid the fat content. keeping fat to a bare minimum after heavy weight is the best way to replace depleted glycon.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html