Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extremely frustrated page

betty74 is offline Senior Member

Extremely frustrated

Primal Fuel
    Hi! I've been on and off for well over a year now. I have been struggling to lose weight the whole time. I lost @30 lbs doing a combination of Weight Watchers and Atkins. When I came to this blog I did the diet with no results for several months. Anyhow, I have been back at it and seeing nothing. I am seeing an acupuncturist for my thyroid, hormones, and just general lack of energy. She has be on several supplements all of them are Standard Process, which uses real food. I had already stopped taking the hormones prior to seeing her and I stopped my thyroid meds. also. I was not seeing results with any of these and was in fact gaining weight back. Anyhow, I have been seeing her since the last week of September. I feel a little better, but my weight still won't budge. In the beginning I was eating in a four square plan which is a protein, cooked veggie, raw veggie and fat with each meal. Fruit which was an apple was by itself. I had a few clean treats as well. My weight was still jumping back and forth and wouldn't stay down. So she put me on only meat and green veggies with a few others allowed. I drop 5 pounds from my highest weight and then put 3 back on. I had cut all treats, all dairy, all starches. I just can't understand why my weight won't budge.

My calories have been between 800-1400 with the exception of one day where I ate 2200 calories.
    My highest carbs was 116 which was from popcorn on the day I had to 2200 calories. My highest day other than that was 63 carbs.

My meat and eggs are all local farm raised animals. I eat a combination of beef, pork, and chicken plus eggs except for a week when she removed eggs from my diet. When I eat dairy it is raw goat dairy from a local friend. I added back a bit of chevre today. It had been 18 days since I had dairy with the exception of some pastured butter. When I was eating dairy it was mainly about 1 oz of chevre on my morning omelet.

I have tracked calories, carbs, fat, and protein and can see no pattern in my weight. I am getting so frustrated. I am going to go back to Paleo/Primal instead of the green veggies only. It is too restrictive and if it isn't going to drop the weight it isn't worth it.

Any advice would be apprieciated. Sorry for the novel!

otzi Guest
    Have you read through the "monster thread"? Maybe you'd benefit from the Leptin Reset.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Well, I don't have an answer but I hear ya!
    My sister has struggled with her weight her entire life and no matter what she does, she can't lose any significant weight.
    I on the other hand drop 2 lbs over night when I skip a dinner...but only if I stick 100% to a primal diet.
    I can pig out on SAD for a day or two and get away with it..but have to immediately get back on the primal wagon. I just turned 40 this year and thinking maybe my metabolism will slow down with age...but fact is that it sped up back to my teenage years of skipping a meal and dropping 2 lbs when I switched to primal.
    My sister however never was this lucky. She smells pizza and gains 5 lbs without eating it...

Have you always been kinda on the hefty side growing up? Maybe a hormonal imbalance for something they haven't checked?
    Weston Price says that the pituitary gland plays a huge role in the production of all hormones, even the ones that control your bladder. Have ALL hormones been checked?
    My little nephew is 13 years old and still pees in his pants as if he was a toddler...but goes to school and pulls straight A's. He cannot control his bladder.
    My niece lacks an enzyme that breaks down fatty acids and thus has to be on permanent meds her entire life, she is 9 atm.
    My sister ate a diet high in grains and sugar at the time of both pregnancies resulting in defective plasma (Weston Price talks about this in his book).
    At the time my mother was pregnant with my sister she ate a diet high in sugar, grain and junk foods because she didn't know at first that she was pregnant.
    She then changed her diet to a healthier, more whole food one and 4 years later I was born.
    My sister is borderline obese and only 4 years older than I. I'm thin and always have been (xept in my mid 30's when SAD got ahold of me).
    I look 20 years younger than my sister even though we're only 4 years apart.

Taubes also speaks of this defect that affects the children of that generation later in life, usually after age 40.
    Maybe what you're suffering from isn't entirely your fault, and perhaps can't be changed.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you need to consistently eat more.

800 calories is SUPER small. Even 1400 calorie diets used to be referred to as "semi-starvation".

I've read other people's accounts of low cal dieting forever, finally starting to eat more (healthy) food and seeing success. A number of people I've talked to said they gained weight initially and then it just started dropping off...

I can't imagine eating so little, anyway- the idea with PB is that you can be lean AND not starve, right?? I'm pretty active, but I eat between 2000-2200 cals per day and weigh 110...

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I agree, 1400 calories is not much.
    I drink 2 cups of raw cream which is 850 calories...700 cholesterol, and high in everything else that's supposed to kill you in 1 sitting. But it has no effect on me. 1 Pemmican bar has about 1000 calories and I eat that as a snack...total carbs in 1 bar = 4.
    Averaging about 2000-3000 calories a day and not gaining weight unless I overdo carbs together with fat.

The thing that makes me gain weight is eating carbs AND fat together. So while a 1000 cal pemmican bar makes me lose weight...1 apple dipped in almond butter makes me gain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    Well, I don't have an answer but I hear ya!
    My sister has struggled with her weight her entire life and no matter what she does, she can't lose any significant weight.
    I on the other hand drop 2 lbs over night when I skip a dinner...but only if I stick 100% to a primal diet.
    I can pig out on SAD for a day or two and get away with it..but have to immediately get back on the primal wagon. I just turned 40 this year and thinking maybe my metabolism will slow down with age...but fact is that it sped up back to my teenage years of skipping a meal and dropping 2 lbs when I switched to primal.
    My sister however never was this lucky. She smells pizza and gains 5 lbs without eating it...

Have you always been kinda on the hefty side growing up? Maybe a hormonal imbalance for something they haven't checked?
    Weston Price says that the pituitary gland plays a huge role in the production of all hormones, even the ones that control your bladder. Have ALL hormones been checked?
    My little nephew is 13 years old and still pees in his pants as if he was a toddler...but goes to school and pulls straight A's. He cannot control his bladder.
    My niece lacks an enzyme that breaks down fatty acids and thus has to be on permanent meds her entire life, she is 9 atm.
    My sister ate a diet high in grains and sugar at the time of both pregnancies resulting in defective plasma (Weston Price talks about this in his book).
    At the time my mother was pregnant with my sister she ate a diet high in sugar, grain and junk foods because she didn't know at first that she was pregnant.
    She then changed her diet to a healthier, more whole food one and 4 years later I was born.
    My sister is borderline obese and only 4 years older than I. I'm thin and always have been (xept in my mid 30's when SAD got ahold of me).
    I look 20 years younger than my sister even though we're only 4 years apart.

Taubes also speaks of this defect that affects the children of that generation later in life, usually after age 40.
    Maybe what you're suffering from isn't entirely your fault, and perhaps can't be changed.
    I have had my hormones tested, thyroid, and adrenals by a regular Dr. I was put on hormones and armour. I took them for almost a year with not a lot of positive effect. I stopped the hormones first and then when I finally started with the acupuncturist I stopped my thyroid meds. My acupuncturist is a Dr. also and a nutritionist. She doesn't know a lot about primal/paleo, but she eating plan isn't far off. She does believe in the Nourishing Traditions Methods. She did a biomeridian test as well as several other tests, and a questionaire. My acupuncture and supplements are based on those things. She was indirectly treating my thyroid and just started direct treatment 3 treatments ago.

I have not been heavy my whole life. I am almost 5'5" and graduated high school at 110 pounds. I am 37 now and weight 153. My highest weight was 178 during a way stressful period in my life about 3-4 years ago. I gained some weight with my first child and again with my second and was never able to get it off. Since children (my youngest is 13) my lowest weight has been @135-140.

I think my mom's diet was pretty good as she cooked everything from scratch. She has always eaten grains, but plenty of meats and veggies also.

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy1 View Post
    Maybe you need to consistently eat more.

800 calories is SUPER small. Even 1400 calorie diets used to be referred to as "semi-starvation".

I've read other people's accounts of low cal dieting forever, finally starting to eat more (healthy) food and seeing success. A number of people I've talked to said they gained weight initially and then it just started dropping off...

I can't imagine eating so little, anyway- the idea with PB is that you can be lean AND not starve, right?? I'm pretty active, but I eat between 2000-2200 cals per day and weigh 110...
    I have done both low calorie and high with no results. The really low calories over the last month has been due to the major restriction in foods I can eat. For the most I wasn't hungry either. I have a few days of hunger (mainly from PMS), but mostly I am fine. I have a large portion of food, but when it is mainly veggies the calories are still low. I am trying to get them up there a bit more. I was a challenge trying to figure out what to eat at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    I agree, 1400 calories is not much.
    I drink 2 cups of raw cream which is 850 calories...700 cholesterol, and high in everything else that's supposed to kill you in 1 sitting. But it has no effect on me. 1 Pemmican bar has about 1000 calories and I eat that as a snack...total carbs in 1 bar = 4.
    Averaging about 2000-3000 calories a day and not gaining weight unless I overdo carbs together with fat.

The thing that makes me gain weight is eating carbs AND fat together. So while a 1000 cal pemmican bar makes me lose weight...1 apple dipped in almond butter makes me gain weight.
    Do you make the pemmican bars? Sounds interesting.

I guess I am just completely at a loss as to what to do. I have tried so many things and nothing happens.

squigglywiggly is offline Senior Member
    I too would second looking at the leptin reset thread. I really struggle to lose weight doing pretty much anything else, but the leptin reset seems to be working for me. It is hard getting used to not snacking but worth it as I get slimmer day by day.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

I hope this helps!

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Judging from your avatar photo, you look svelte. I dunno what the problem is.

153 lbs at your height is a normal, healthy, and attractive weight, especially if you tend to be more muscular. The fact that your weight won't budge is actually a sign of excellent health (again, at an otherwise normal weight). In a healthy body, following a healthy diet, the body has numerous ways of regulating weight such that it can be very difficult to lose weight, but this also means that it is difficult to gain weight on a healthy diet. Alas, not everyone is destined for visible abs. So if you are determined to lose more (for whatever arbitrary reason) you will have to do something more drastic, but I don't think you need to.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I don't see much fat in your menu. I'd be hungry all day if I ate your list of foods without dousing them in tallow and coconut oil. Which, ironically, is exactly what I do. That, and my can of coconut milk for breakfast. Here is something to try, it's what I do. And it works whether I exercise or not:

Breakfast:
    One can of Aroy-D coconut milk cut with coffee for palatability. Some use tea. Haven't tried that yet. Not that I'm telling you to start drinking coffee, that's just my way of getting it into my body, and that's 765 calories of saturated fat to start my day.

Lunch: Any combination of the following depending on what dinner was the night before:
    Cooked sweet potato
    Mushrooms
    Canned oysters
    Can of mackerel
    Avocado or two
    Green apple
    Grass-fed Beef liver once a week (seasoned well for flavor if you can't down it!)
    Eggs
    Other primal fare as it shows up at my shopping spots!

Dinner:
    Mountain of broccoli or other frozen organic veggies cooked in puddles of fat. (Homemade grass-fed beef tallow, coconut oil)
    Chunk of wild salmon also in puddle of oil, with herbs and salt.
    Eggs if I'm still hungry, but I'm usually not. Heck, lunch is so good I usually don't even need dinner, I just can't let my calories to slip below 3000 or I get cold and gain weight.

I also eat dinner extremely early, like 4:00, to keep my eating window small. Minus the coconut milk (which pretty much digests itself), I eat my day's food between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM, so my gut can rest for the other 16 hours, or 10 hours after the six it spends winding down.

Dinner, when the pan is still hot, is the time to get tomorrow's lunch made. I use two pans at once and cook sweet potatoes, eggs or mushrooms, liver etc.

Once a week I buy a small bag of healthy, clean trail mix at trader joe's and eat it all by itself to break my Saturday fast. That's usually all I eat on Saturday, one bag of trail mix. It's my half-assed fasting day. I figure since I use the eating window pretty religiously, I'm breaking even on time spent not digesting.

Well, it's one person's primal blueprint. Try it if you want.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnee View Post
    Judging from your avatar photo, you look svelte. I dunno what the problem is.

153 lbs at your height is a normal, healthy, and attractive weight, especially if you tend to be more muscular. The fact that your weight won't budge is actually a sign of excellent health (again, at an otherwise normal weight). In a healthy body, following a healthy diet, the body has numerous ways of regulating weight such that it can be very difficult to lose weight, but this also means that it is difficult to gain weight on a healthy diet. Alas, not everyone is destined for visible abs. So if you are determined to lose more (for whatever arbitrary reason) you will have to do something more drastic, but I don't think you need to.
    Thanks! That photo is over a year ago and sadly I have gained a little weight back. My upper body isn't really the problem either. I carry it in my butt and thighs and my belly (over the last few years). I am actually considered overweight for my height. I don't want to lose a lot but 10-15 would be really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I don't see much fat in your menu. I'd be hungry all day if I ate your list of foods without dousing them in tallow and coconut oil. Which, ironically, is exactly what I do. That, and my can of coconut milk for breakfast. Here is something to try, it's what I do. And it works whether I exercise or not:

Breakfast:
    One can of Aroy-D coconut milk cut with coffee for palatability. Some use tea. Haven't tried that yet. Not that I'm telling you to start drinking coffee, that's just my way of getting it into my body, and that's 765 calories of saturated fat to start my day.

Lunch: Any combination of the following depending on what dinner was the night before:
    Cooked sweet potato
    Mushrooms
    Canned oysters
    Can of mackerel
    Avocado or two
    Green apple
    Grass-fed Beef liver once a week (seasoned well for flavor if you can't down it!)
    Eggs
    Other primal fare as it shows up at my shopping spots!

Dinner:
    Mountain of broccoli or other frozen organic veggies cooked in puddles of fat. (Homemade grass-fed beef tallow, coconut oil)
    Chunk of wild salmon also in puddle of oil, with herbs and salt.
    Eggs if I'm still hungry, but I'm usually not. Heck, lunch is so good I usually don't even need dinner, I just can't let my calories to slip below 3000 or I get cold and gain weight.

I also eat dinner extremely early, like 4:00, to keep my eating window small. Minus the coconut milk (which pretty much digests itself), I eat my day's food between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM, so my gut can rest for the other 16 hours, or 10 hours after the six it spends winding down.

Dinner, when the pan is still hot, is the time to get tomorrow's lunch made. I use two pans at once and cook sweet potatoes, eggs or mushrooms, liver etc.

Once a week I buy a small bag of healthy, clean trail mix at trader joe's and eat it all by itself to break my Saturday fast. That's usually all I eat on Saturday, one bag of trail mix. It's my half-assed fasting day. I figure since I use the eating window pretty religiously, I'm breaking even on time spent not digesting.

Well, it's one person's primal blueprint. Try it if you want.
    I do actually have a bit of fat. I haven't been eating the coconut milk lately as my diet was restricted, but normally I have it several times a week. LOVE curry!!! I use olive oil as dressing, cooking in coconut oil, lots of bacon. My fat % averages around 50-60% of my intake. I also use butter though not a lot the last few weeks again from the restriction. My Dr. seems stumped as to why no weight loss either. I did drop 3 pounds right away but they didn't stay gone.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Have you read through the "monster thread"? Maybe you'd benefit from the Leptin Reset.
    Sorry I didn't mean to ignore you earlier. I have read through the Leptin Reset, but haven't tried it. I may talk to the Dr. about it.

Quote Originally Posted by squigglywiggly View Post
    I too would second looking at the leptin reset thread. I really struggle to lose weight doing pretty much anything else, but the leptin reset seems to be working for me. It is hard getting used to not snacking but worth it as I get slimmer day by day.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

I am glad it is working for you. The thread is so huge it is over-whelming. I have been reading through it for a while and have thought about it.

So many different ideas, diets, etc. it is overwhelming. I would think eating good, healthy foods should do the trick!

MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

I hope this helps!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast