Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best food dehydrator to purchase? page

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hey Guys,

I want to purchase a food dehydrator but am wondering which one to purchase. I'm looking to spend in the area of $50. I just bought the Oster FPSTDH0101 dehydrator and did a batch of jerky but I am afraid that the temperature on this one is too high. There's no way to tell at what temperature it is dehydrating (only an on/off button) and I'm afraid the flimsy plastic might be imparting some BPA into my jerky. Lex Rooker states that anything over 120 F makes the meat lose nutrients so I think I'd like to buy something with a setting between 100 and 115 degrees F. So, once I return the Oster, what brand do you guys suggest?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

From what I hear, Excalibur makes the best dehydrators. I don't have one, but I'd love to get one.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

yeahhh i just ordered an excalibur beacuse i felt like I wanted to get "the best one" and not have to upgrade later. I got the 9 tray. It's a far cry from $50 though. Not sure what kind of GOOD dehydrator you can get for that price.

Might just want to save up and get one that has raving reviews and an awesome track record...

I haven't used mine yet but I'm surely excited about it.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

musajen is offline Junior Member

Justin, assuming you're just wanting to use the dehydrator to make jerky, how about making your own dehydrator for $10?

http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/JerkyDrierInstructions.pdf

Haven't tried this myself but considering it since the dehydrator my dad got me for Christmas kind of blows.

I was thinking about this, musajen, but my current living conditions make creating my own dehydrator a bit difficult. I don't really have a garage and I'm sure my roommates wouldn't like a big cardboard box sitting in the kitchen or living room.

I just made a batch of pemmican with the dehydrator I currently have (haven't taken it back...yet?) and it turned out pretty well. I just can't seem to find out what temp. it dehydrates...you'd think the company would know this kind of information.

The company would probably know it. Would be worth giving them a call at least. Or do you have a thermometer you can throw in there and measure it for yourself?

Heh, I actually took the 20 minutes it takes to call them and they said they have no idea and to ask Wal Mart. I asked Wal Mart...and I got a very blank stare.

I did find out its 350 watt, but I'm not sure what that implies.

Chunster495 is offline Member

Get the excalibur... it has an adjustable termostat,... and their lowest model, you can get for around 100 bux... only 4 trays,... but that's more than enough for single usage... i have five trays and i never fill up all five trays on about 2lbs of jerky.

mufasa Guest

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5912487412723519389#

This is one of the best designs I've seen. And it's easy to make!!! Hope it helps.

That is genius mufasa! I've found a replacement for my too hot dehydrator now. Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast