Thread: 10-K Training Regimen page

PapaG44 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi All,

I am running a 10-K March 25th and was wondering if anyone had any training suggestions. I want to be able to handle it no problem, but I don't want to overdo the chronic cardio. I can run a mile in under 8 minutes.

Thanks!

George

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

That's a bit over 6 miles, right? Heck, if you can do a mile in under 8 minutes, I should think you could do it right now without any specific training. You won't set any records, but you'll be able to do it without too much trouble.

I'm say that because I hate running, and rarely do it; right now I can run a mile in a bit over 9 minutes. But a while ago I got talked into doing a 5 mile mountain run (lots of up and down) and I did it in an hour. I didn't like it, but I did it. Had mild shin splints the next day, but that was it.

mstrudle is offline Member

If you can run a mile in eight minutes, you can probably run six in about 10-11 minutes per mile, for a time of a little over an hour. If you will be running hills, then it will take a bit longer, and if you are running trails, even longer still.

I can run a mile in about 5:30 and a 5k/3 miles in 20:00 for cross country racing. My training plan during the season consisted of various tempo runs, easy runs, fartleks, and speed training.

Tempo: warm up and then run 30-45 minutes at an elevated heart rate (say 130-140 bpm) and then warm down

fartlek: basically a tempo run with sprints added in at your leisure; this will build up both your aerobic and anaerobic systems

Speed training: 2 200 meters, 2 400s, 2 200s, three sets of those twice per week and you will be pretty strong for the race.

What I would suggest for you:

Monday: easy run

Tuesday: Tempo

Wednesday: Speed/fartlek

Thursday: Tempo

Friday: off

Saturday: speed/fartlek

Sunday: off

That is roughly what I followed; like weight lifting, try not to do speed training two days in a row, because that is far too taxing. Instead, mix it up throughout the week.

Geoff is offline Member

PapaG -

Hi. I'm a "recovering" marathoner in transition. Right now my running goal is to run a new 5-K PR living Primally (and without chronic cardio). My current PR is 10 years old, and it would be really cool to be faster @ 40 than I was @ 30.

If you don't mind a few questions: What's your goal? Does "handle it no problem" mean finish feeling good? How much running background are you bringing to your training?

The only thing I'd caution is that there's a significant difference in going from 1 mile to 6.2. With 8 weeks before your race you can get there, but I'll be able to give you better advice if I know a little more about you and your running history.

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

Well done sprints will carry you all the way my friend! I trained for a half-marathon only doing 3 crossfit workouts a week (which occasionally include running, usually at 400m chunks) and the occasional sprint workout. I only ran 4 long runs (6, 8, 10, 12) in the 4 months leading up to the race. I knew I trained well b/c I was CRUISING passed people at mile 8 and the hills were nothing but ways to put lesser trained folks behind me

Looking back I could have just done the long runs as hilly hikes and I think I would have been okay. I had never run that far and so I felt that I needed those runs to mentally prepare and say, yes I can do this.

As for a 10k, sprints will build the power and endurance you need to carry you through and will also develop your speed. And if you need a long run you wont need to run farther than 3 miles or so. In addition, sprints & crossfit style workouts will increase your body's efficiency at processing exercise-created compounds (ie lactic acid) which are the things that make people "bonk".

But that's just how I do things I hope you do really well!

mhoward is offline Member

Lookup "crossfit endurance". They are based on a primal/paleo model and avoiding long slow distance. I do things a bit differently than them, and not as intensely, but they seem to really know what they are talking about.

PapaG44 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the input everybody!

@Geoff: I'd like to be able to run the whole thing. I'd really like to run in in exactly 42 minutes because I'm obsessed with the number (the answer to the ultimate question - life, the universe, and everything) and love to find ways to incorporate it into my life. I'm not an experienced long distance runner. My knees aren't great and I have a larger frame, big legs - more suited to sprinting. I've been doing sprints but it hasn't really affected my mile time.

Thanks!

Geoff is offline Member

It sounds like 42 minutes (6:47 m/m) would be a very aggressive goal for you right now given your one mile time. With training it's eventually doable, but I'm just not sure 8 weeks is long enough.

I like the general concepts LittleNappingLion outlined. You'll need to focus on those "move slowly" workouts and keeping the sprints intense.

You'll develop your aerobic systems well with the low level stuff - hiking or easy jogging but the key is to keep those runs easy. You should feel guilty like you're not working hard enough and wonder how the heck these workouts are going to get you ready to race.

For the sprints I'd recommend 400 m or even 800 m intervals. If 8 m/m is your best 1 mile time, shoot for about 1:55 for the 400s and about 3:50 for the 800s. Walk 200 m for recovery and repeat. Warm up well and do as many sets as feels right. If you can't hold the pace you should end the workout. See how you recover from those sessions. You could probably get 2 of them a week without overdoing it, but start with 1.

The only other thing I'd recommend is once every third week or so go for a run at your planned race pace. 3 miles on week 3 and 5 miles on week 6. If possible try to find terrain that mimics the race course. Your 10-K pace should feel uncomfortably hard but not brutal. The kind of pace you definitely wouldn't want to hold for an hour. These runs will get you used to the feeling of your race pace and holding it over a prolonged duration. The weeks you do these runs, substitute them for an interval session.

If you have the energy for strength training, then consider plyometrics to develop leg strength and explosive power. Squat jumps, box jumps, bounding, etc.

Good luck!