Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 77

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've been lucky to put on muscle and lose some fat at what feels like the same time, but I think it's actually happening as little baby zigzags--I go up 3 or 4 pounds and then down again, each time with incrementally more muscle than fat, but it's sloooooooow. And I'm more of a mesomorph than a lot of women (naturally broad shouldered, flat stomach even when fatter, long limbed) and seem to be able to gain visible muscle more readily than some, so I can imagine that for others, it's even harder.

I'm lifting the heaviest I ever have in my life, and I'm seeing some nice muscle gains, but it doesn't translate into much movement on the scale even then. The university here has the setup for hydrostatic weighing (even better than DEXA from what I understand), and I'd love to have it done but I would bet it's expensive. Right now I just guesstimate based on photo comparisons, which is not all that accurate.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    DEXA goes by actual body part, so you can see where your actual fat is.

Hydrostatic testing is good, but it doesn't go into such detail as the DEXA.

And of course the DEXA will tell you about your bone density, which will clear
    up if someone has super heavy/big bones or not. It also tells you exactly how MUCH
    fat and how MUCH muscle you have per body part.

I did hydrostatic testing a few years back and it was 60 dollars. Not too bad.

See, YOU have a normal woman's body - I have a complete 10yo boy's body. Straight
    up and down, NO waist, NO hips and when I gain fat, it goes everywhere, fairly evenly,
    but seems to concentrate a little in the stomach and "love handle" areas when I reach
    Maximum Density.

So annoying.

My sister got the normal woman's body, and I got... this.

WHATEVER!

Heh. I definitely did not get a "normal" woman's body if clothing shapes are any indicator. My shoulders are far too broad, my hips are too narrow, and my ass is too round (so I don't fit either the straight cut or curvy cut clothes properly). I'm built like a swimmer, which is the sport I was into growing up, so I think the shape is partly my natural tendency and partly the result of training through that important developmental period in my teens. Strength training is only making the whole clothing problem worse. Now my lats are making a lot of tops impossible (I don't have much bust but the chest is too tight because of my back).

I can see the value in DEXA and in the hydrostatic weighing. My understanding is that hydrostatic is more accurate in terms of percentage but that DEXA is better for pinpointing. The bone density thing would be useful to know too. Maybe I should look into both, since they are both available at the university.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't have the normal woman's body, either. I have long arms and legs, short torso, no narrow waist. With only 2lbs difference since last September, and with eating tons of food since starting this weight lifting thing, I'm surprised. I have no idea if it's muscle, fat or water. But dang, we're talking a 10oz steak, a 7.5oz can of salmon and more meat for dinner. Already that's major calories. On top of that, potatoes, vegan desserts (I'm a sucker for vegan cheesecake and pudding), dark chocolate, plenty of veggies, sweet potatoes, pats of butter, the works. This is great, actually. I can see muscle definition on my arms a little bit. My legs look awesome when I'm doing squats. Otherwise, I look pretty much like I always do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Yanno, it's funny, when I first saw your bikini picture when you first
    put it up, I exclaimed to myself "OH MY GOD! There IS someone else with
    MY body type!

See, we're dudes in disguise.

Speaking of dudes, how is YOUR dude doing?

Julie

My dude is doing okay. He's the same as always. Still eating his oatmeal. Still spending the whole evening with an ice pack on his lower back. Still has to take benzodiazapenes to sleep and statins to pass his blood tests. Still convinced that my food and fitness ideas are insane and his way, the way of old men everywhere, is the right way.

Meanwhile, I have this crazy sense that this weight lifting and these crazy finisher things I've been doing for 5 minutes twice a week might actually be waking up the old, er, "furnace" inside me. I have had some vivid thoughts lately. Thoughts I haven't had since they took out my uterus in 2005.

Strength training will do that. Definitely works for me, anyhow. My guy definitely doesn't mind that particular side effect.

Owly's Journal

It's the week of potluck parties. I went to one last night with my jam session. One of the guys there asked if I've been doing a lot of walking. Said I was looking pretty fit lately. I don't think I look any different but maybe I do. A lot of the guys there flirt with me. I'm one of the youngest women in the group.

I have two more potlucks to go, both on Saturday. My dish to bring has been Thai coconut curry with vegetables and rice, no meat, so the vegetarians and gluten-free people have something to eat.

My back was killing me after lifting yesterday morning and then playing my fiddle. It always hurts when I play my fiddle. After I got home, I used my MA Roller thing and something clicked in there and all the pain went away. That thing is great. Like a wood foam roller, I suppose.

I got my deadlift back up to where I left off before I reduced all my weights. Tomorrow my squat will be where I left off, if I can do it. I get so dizzy doing squats. I think I'm going to try taking pedialyte. Taking supplements doesn't work that well. Maybe dissolved will work better. I'm getting leg and arm cramps once again and I'm not even low carb anymore. The dizziness might be orthostatic hypotension.

Make sure when you're doing your squats that you're not holding your breath.

I was doing that and didn't even realize it until one day I burst a huge ass blood vessel
    in my eye and looked like a zombie from the Walking Dead for a week. It was HUGE,
    and FUGLY. God.

I always get dizzy after heavy squats and deadlifts. It's the spike and then sudden drop in blood pressure that does it to me. I usually have to sit down or lean against something for a moment after a really heavy lift. Once I've had a brief rest, I'm fine. Apparently it's quite common.

Owly's Journal

Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast