Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 76

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Seborrhea. Got some fancy shampoo. I guess I never thought my flaky scalp was anything more than an expression of my chronically dry skin.

Kinda bummed out that my height is shorter than I thought (5'2.5") and my weight is higher (142). This is the same scale that told me I weighed 163. So I've really only lost 20lbs.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 11-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Interesting blog that is a compendium of studies.
    HEALTHY DIETS AND SCIENCE

Lifted well yesterday. Got my press to 50lbs successfully. All reps. Not really that hard, too. Makes me happy after struggling to get this weight and failing so long. Squats and deadlift are still on a reduced weight. I think I finally feel recovered from overdoing it at first. I'll just keep making sensible progress.

Ate way too much protein yesterday. A 10oz steak, 7.5oz salmon and a pork chop for dinner. Going to try to fast today to make room for a big prime rib dinner at the company holiday party. I fully intend to eat them out of house and home if at all possible.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Going to try to fast today to make room for a big prime rib dinner at the company holiday party. I fully intend to eat them out of house and home if at all possible.
    Just what I did last week at company party, prime rib + A pre-buffet with bacon wrapped scallops and sausages on them (labeled gluten-free too!) I did a ton of body weight work, and shadow boxing, then went to town!

Well, my attempt to fast didn't work. I got hungry and ate some hamburger meat. But I managed to go the rest of the day without eating and so was hungry enough at dinner to eat a generous plate of prime rib and salad. It was delicious. I also drank 3 glasses of wine, felt pretty drunk and played some Texas Hold-em which I've never played before. Not sure I quite understood it seeing as how I was a bit drunk. I did manage to get a really good hand and win a ton of chips after everybody foolishly bet more than they should have. Too bad it wasn't real money.

Oddly, I slept well and don't have a hangover today.

On this somewhat rainy day, I'm reading an interesting book from the 1950s, I think, called Eat Fat and Grow Slim.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I want to try an all meat diet someday. With ample calories. See what happens.
    You should!

I don't know if these two websites are still active, but they do all meat:

dirtycarnivore.com

zeroinginonhealth.com

There are lots of great testimonials about how they feel doing all meat
    or just mostly meat.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I just jumped over to dirtycarnivore and took a quick look around. I think there might be some good stuff there. I was interested to see that they linked to Stefansson's one year experiment. A perfectly valid one, but every time I see it, I bemoan the fact that it is from such a while ago. I wish there were more people doing it (and being studied as they do it) NOW. No, I am not volunteering. Yet. But I would like to see it done, for information for the rest of us. I'll be interested to read the testimonials at dirtycarnivore, and see how each of them are doing it.

Stefansson's book is available online as a PDF. I found a link to it on one of Dr. Eades' recent blog posts about books that changed his life. I think the link was buried in the comments. It's really fascinating. He ate that way with the Eskimos and nobody believed him it could be healthy. Meanwhile, all the explorers and Navies of that time were dying from scurvy all the time. The descriptions of scurvy and what happened on these ships was horrific. Nobody thought you could eat all meat and not die of scurvy but everybody on the ships were drinking lime juice and trying to eat a mixed diet to prevent scurvy and they'd lose almost everybody on the ship. The only thing that would save them, if they weren't too late, was getting off the ship and hunting for fresh meat. It got me thinking that meat is really the most healthy of foods. It's the one thing you can eat forever and stay healthy. It's why pemmican feels so healthy (even if it doesn't taste good) when you take it on a backpack trip while oatmeal and ramen feels like you're just getting by until you can have real food later.

Today is a day for liver. I cooked up a pound, ate half and the rest is for lunch. The Man didn't want any. His loss.

I've only gained 2lbs from weight lifting. I've been lifting heavy for 6.5 weeks. I'm either doing something right or I'm doing something wrong.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Women don't put on weight from muscle mass as much as men do. I wouldn't expect to pack on mass like newbie male trainees do.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Women don't put on weight from muscle mass as much as men do. I wouldn't expect to pack on mass like newbie male trainees do.

Unfortunately for women, you will definitely have to bulk if you want to put on muscle and then cut
    if you want to SEE what you put on.

It took me a good two YEARS of heavy lifting to put on TWO POUNDS of real life muscle - and I know this as
    fact because of the DEXA I had both times.

However, I was NOT bulking - just eating at maintenance.

Lifting heavy for me included 165lb deadlifts off the floor, 235lb rack pulls, 80lb push press, weighted chin
    ups, etc.

Not bragging by ANY means, just trying to show that indeed it has to be HEAVY if you, as a woman, really want
    to gain muscle.

Was my body as tight as a drum, hell yes it was, but did I put on a pile of muscle, no I didn't.

Bulking is always scary cuz you gotta eat like a pig and put on 10lbs of fat AND muscle, then you have to
    starve to death to see your results.

That's why these days I'm just relegated to being happy with my ass not jiggling around and say F-U to
    actually "gaining muscle".

Too damn hard without roids - unless you're genetically engineered to gain muscle like some chicks. *I* am
    SO NOT.

Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast