Page 74 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 74

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    God, enough with the damn potatoes already.
    OMFG yes please. I am amused that both the VLC and "just eat real food!" camps have banded together on this one. It's getting ridiculous. I'm glad the hack is working for people, but it's not freaking magic, it's just potatoes. Can we move on now?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    OMFG yes please. I am amused that both the VLC and "just eat real food!" camps have banded together on this one. It's getting ridiculous. I'm glad the hack is working for people, but it's not freaking magic, it's just potatoes. Can we move on now?
    What bugs me is when some of the potato heads (I wouldn't use that term in the open forum but, can I get away with it here? It just seems to fit so well.) describe VLC as "just a hack too". Sorry, no. Not a mono-food plan, no missing macronutrients, just different macro ratios. So, yeah, VLC and "just eat real food" folks are on the same page here.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Well, and the potato fanatics make the same error that some of the carb advocates do in equating VLC with ZC or assuming that all people do VLC as a weight loss strategy (or that all people IF for that reason). I am completely supportive of people who are doing VLC to control medical issues such as diabetes, epilepsy, neurological issues, or similar. As a pure weight loss tool? Well, it obviously works well for some and not so well for others. That doesn't make it wrong; that just makes it one possible option. Same thing for fasting--there are many other reasons people fast, and many people who do it are not looking to lose weight (particularly those who engage in longer fasts, which are almost always undertaken for health or spiritual reasons).

I also hate the equation of weight loss with improved health. It is entirely possible to get thinner and sicker at the same time, and I think extended mono-food eating (over a period of weeks, not just a couple of days) is a good way to make that happen.

Ah well, this too shall pass, just as mega-dosing vitamin D/iodine, leptin resets, CT, eating gigantic spoonfuls of coconut oil, and other MDA fads have faded into the background.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    One (very urban) walk I have always wanted to do is El Camino Real, having grown up alongside it. I just fell in love with the name as a child- it evokes all kind of romance for me, although now so much of it is just strip malls.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried the cleans with a bar? I have a very hard time getting into a good front rack position with a PVC pipe (xfit's "broom"). However, with weight it works just fine. You probably have some flexibility issues too - most people do Here is a great website - if you haven't seen it - to try to work out some of the kinks.

| Mobility WOD

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No kidding. This is getting pretty silly. Do we really need five different potato threads?

SB, I wanted to ask you a question about the PCT hike. Most of the internet accounts of hiking it I have read have been from the POV of starving students subsisting on ramen. But, if one had the financial means, could it be a much more comfortable trek?

How much of the trail is long stretches out of civilization and how much of it goes through towns? I'm thinking I don't mind hoofing it and sleeping out on the ground for several nights at a stretch but then a night to rest up on clean sheets, get a shower and a good meal, and even rest a few nights if there were any injuries/illnesses that needed tending to would be nice.

If one could just "flip out the plastic" and not have to worry about the cost (also if one didn't have a deadline to get back to work) do you think this "comfy camping" version of the PCT could work?

Next question, would you like to come with me?
    Well, hotel comfort depends on the section. The Southern California section goes about 3 days between small towns on average, with a couple of 2-day and 4-day stretches. There's even a 1 day stretch in there. Your options for comfort range from crappy little motels that you kinda wonder if they clean the sheets each time to a Best Western to a tent in someone's yard that comes with a shower and liberal alcohol. Sadly the Warner Springs resort isn't open anymore.

Beyond So Cal the towns start to get further apart. There's a segment in Nor Cal where you get to stay with people in their homes and be fed nearly every other day for a couple weeks. My mom is one of them. She loves meeting hikers.

Oregon and Washington have fewer towns along the way. About every 4 days or so there's some kind of place to stay but sometimes you are lucky to get a shower and laundry and sleep in your tent somewhere.

Here's a list of pct resupply points. Not sure how much sense it'll make but you can see the possible towns along the way.
    pacific crest trail, resupply, points

I would totally hike again, but now that I have a decent job, I don't want to leave it for a lengthy trek. I was thinking of going with my friend Shroomer (a culinary mushroom expert) to Glacier National park next summer. He said that was the prettiest section of the Continental Divide. He wants to go back to see it again a little slower with a hiking friend from Japan. That would be all wilderness.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

I was going to report on my mug cake muffin experiment I tested for breakfast this morning:

1 small garnet yam (about 2/3 the size of a banana) nuked in the microwave
    1 spoonful of almond butter
    pumpkin pie spices (I just eyeballed allspice, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla)
    1 egg
    1/2 banana

At first I thought I could do this without the banana, but the resulting mixture wasn't voluminous enough and it seemed too dry. So I added half a banana for moisture and volume.

Mashed all together, poured into a coffee mug (came to about 2/3 full) and microwaved for 2 minutes. Tasty, cakey or bread-like. Would be good with whipped cream as a dessert but by itself it was more like pumpkin bread.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well, hotel comfort depends on the section. The Southern California section goes about 3 days between small towns on average, with a couple of 2-day and 4-day stretches. There's even a 1 day stretch in there. Your options for comfort range from crappy little motels that you kinda wonder if they clean the sheets each time to a Best Western to a tent in someone's yard that comes with a shower and liberal alcohol. Sadly the Warner Springs resort isn't open anymore.

Beyond So Cal the towns start to get further apart. There's a segment in Nor Cal where you get to stay with people in their homes and be fed nearly every other day for a couple weeks. My mom is one of them. She loves meeting hikers.

Oregon and Washington have fewer towns along the way. About every 4 days or so there's some kind of place to stay but sometimes you are lucky to get a shower and laundry and sleep in your tent somewhere.

Here's a list of pct resupply points. Not sure how much sense it'll make but you can see the possible towns along the way.
    pacific crest trail, resupply, points

I would totally hike again, but now that I have a decent job, I don't want to leave it for a lengthy trek. I was thinking of going with my friend Shroomer (a culinary mushroom expert) to Glacier National park next summer. He said that was the prettiest section of the Continental Divide. He wants to go back to see it again a little slower with a hiking friend from Japan. That would be all wilderness.
    Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.
    So, at a middle aged lady moseying speed, how long do you think the whole trek would take border to border?

Glacier is gorgeous. I highly recommend it.

Everybody thinks they are going to be slow hiking the PCT. But you won't be slow. After about 3 weeks you will be hiking 20 miles a day. And it will be easy for you. Most people can get border to border in about 5.5 months. I thought that was too far for me and too long to be out there so I went for 3 months and did it two years in a row.

Here's something you could attend next spring whether or not you are hiking the trail. It's really a lot of fun. The long distance hiking community is a wonderful bunch of crazy people.
    ADZPCTKO Home

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks like Chacotaco dropped by to blast everybody on his pro-carb/anti-primal blueprint carb curve agenda. I'm starting to find the forums here less and less interesting.

I did my lifts today despite being sore from my lifts on Friday and from a nice hike yesterday. Oddly, once I started lifting, all the soreness went away and I felt really strong and everything went well. I'm up to squatting 95lbs, deadlifting 110lbs and pressing 45. I plan to go higher next time.

Page 74 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast