Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 71

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I tend to do quick sets of some bodyweight stuff after my lifts, but I would generally only do one or two exercises after my main lift and accessory work. I try to be in and out of the gym in under an hour including warmup, main lift, accessory work, and maybe some bodyweight/skill practice. I don't believe in long, overcomplicated gym sessions.

Are you doing all those daily?
    No, I don't do anything every day. I'm doing the weights MWF. The rest of the time I do whatever. Today I went to a lecture so I didn't do anything physical at all.

I have a list of stuff from the personal trainer, but it seems to me that I could do some of those things in my office rather than at the gym, which I do before work.

But then I was thinking that since I just sit all freakin' day long, I thought, hey what if I set a timer so I got up at least once an hour and did something, anything.

I just tested it. I created a scheduled task to tell me to get off my butt and move. I chose to walk over to a 6 story building and walk up all the stairs to the roof. My legs are so sore from yesterday so this felt pretty good.

I made a list of things I can do in my office (except the stairs are outside). I set the alarm to go off 6 times a day. Here's my list so far (some of these will require me bringing in my camping pad):

chair pushups
    desk pullups
    chair dips
    single leg deadlift (saw this on Al Kavadlo's site)
    plank
    squat
    bridges
    lunges
    climbing stairs

Maybe to make this "work-related" I can write a computer program that pops up and selects one of these at random.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I often telework, and I have kettlebells in my home office. I have a watch that beeps every hour, and if I'm not up to my elbows in a difficult problem, I'll do some kettlebell swings or cleans or squats!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I think the random exercise once an hour is a cool idea. Just a quick set of whatever and done. I may be working from home soon, so it's definitely something I'd consider doing (it's not really doable where I am now).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Ha, so I did make it "work-related" by writing a php web page that randomizes the list of exercises. Then my task scheduler launches a browser with that web page. Maybe if I ever take that dang iphone programming class I'll make an app. I'm sure they already have one, but it would be a fairly simple project for a class. Heck, maybe I don't even need a class. Maybe I could figure it out. That would be a fun thing to do. Can you tell I sometimes don't have a lot of actual work breathing down my neck?

If you get it perfected as something others could use, I'd love to try it out. I'm an Android user, so the iPhone app wouldn't work, but something I could put on my computer would rock.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

It might be way easier to write an Android app since it's written in Java. I don't even know the language the iphone apps are written in (Objective C I think).

Rivven is an Android developer, too bad he's not around as much to ask.

Owly's Journal

Well, so far I've created a Hello World! app. Impressive, huh. I can barely remember Java. As if I ever really knew it.

My legs hurt. I really like doing squats. Last time I did them twice: 3 sets of 8 reps two times. This time I did the same thing again. I added 10lbs to make it 55lbs and I did 3 sets of 10 reps, twice. Not an impressive amount of weight, but enough to make my legs a little sore. I bet that's too many reps but I didn't want to go back to my office so early and I think squats are fun. I added weights or reps or both to everything today. I had this GRRRRR feeling when I started lifting and I just wanted to lift more. Doing pullups on the machine I tried my hardest and almost started to cry.

Later I took an easy walk to the free box and found some shirts. The free box rocks. I feel so much stronger already just walking around. Awesome.

My little task manager app popped up 5 times today so I did the exercises it told me to do. Just little 30-second things. It's good to get out of your chair.

Man, I'm really super hungry today. I hope it's okay to eat this much. I ate a steak, probably 10oz, partially absolutely raw due to a cooking fail. Can't tell the difference if you don't look at it while you eat it. And a fist-sized sweet potato. And a fist-sized white potato. And a 7.5oz can of sockeye salmon on top of a salad that had a miniscule amount of feta cheese and olive oil/vinegar dressing and olives. And another fist-sized potato. I wonder what I'll have for dinner. Not more potatoes, I hope.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Hey, just wanted to pop in and say I'm happy for you and the kind of confidence and attitude in your recent posts is very welcomed. I was hoping to get into a barbell course at my gym in a few weeks, but it looks like I may be sticking with an academic class that's scheduled for the same slot... maybe I will spring for a few personal sessions as it's very affordable (though I don't know if any of the PTs can teach that stuff... I see them all making their clients do some bullshit exercises haha).

And your exercise app sounds great -- I've had the intention of 'getting up every hour', but you really can just forget if there's not something to catch your attention.

Anyway, thanks and best to you. : )

Hey sjmc, if you hire a personal trainer, just tell them what you want. I hired one at the university where I work. She's got a masters degree.

They have a strange process there. What I did was send an email asking if it was possible to hire a trainer to just teach me the basic barbell lifts. I got a message back from the trainer. I did not select her, I guess she selected me. She said sure she could teach me basic lifts if that's all I wanted. They offer a lot more than just that, like diet programs and body fat testing, but I said no, I just want to learn how to use the equipment and lift weights with proper form. So that's all we've done, which is great!

I believe students here have access to the weight room for free just from their fees. If you do, then you don't need to take a course and hiring a trainer would probably be all you need to get started.

Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast