Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 69

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I went and did my workout at the gym today. This weight lifting thing makes me really super hungry. It's not like my stomach is growling, but I look at the food on my plate and I feel like I want it piled even higher. More more more! It lights a ravenous meat-eating beast inside me.

For dinner, I made lambchops, half a sweet potato, a bunch of cauliflower and a delicata squash. I had half of this. I wanted both lambchops. Maybe 3 of them. I wanted all of the sweet potato and squash. I wanted more cauliflower. Now I'm worried my appetite is going to make me fat. I am terrible at appetite control. I guess my calories weren't too horrible today:

2 cans of oysters
    2 avocados
    cherry tomatoes
    lamb chop
    quarter sweet potato
    quarter of a head of cauliflower
    half a delicata squash
    several spoonfuls of pesto
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 teaspoon of coconut oil
    about half a lindt chocolate bar, maybe 2/3 of one

I guess that's not so bad.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I find I eat a lot more meat after I lift. If I satisfy that first, then I tend not to go quite as crazy on the other stuff. The body wants material for repair and building muscle.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I went to my exercise class today. Ugh, she had us doing shoulder workouts. This after all the weight lifting yesterday was mostly working my arms.

I noticed that I look a lot better in the mirror, especially my legs. More definition around my knees. It certainly cannot be a result of lifting weights as the only exercise of the legs done were squats and some hamstring hip-lift things using one of those big plastic balls. Plus I've only done two weight lifting workouts. It can't be my diet since it has blown up since the first weight lifting session. I ate like a starved salmon and avocado eating machine all weekend and a lady at work gave me 5 Lindt chocolate bars that are almost all gone. It can't be my dabbling at the potato diet thing since I only did 72 hours worth of it in the last two weeks, and not all in one go. It can't be running, hiking or biking as I've done slightly less of it for the past week or two. But perhaps it is all those things at once.

I think eating the potatoes was a good thing, nevertheless. I'm going to keep eating them.

As for the weight lifting, I realized last night that I did the assisted pullup machine all wrong yesterday. I don't think you are supposed to stand on it. I think you're supposed to kneel. I couldn't figure out why it seemed different and why it didn't feel like as much range of motion as I remembered. Fortunately I'm short so it probably works out pretty close to the same because standing on it I'm reaching nearly as high as I can.

Lol, yes, most of them are designed for kneeling (but they're also designed for dudes, so the range of motion for a short woman would probably be fine standing up).

I wish I could get better definition around my knees. They seem to be permanently a little squishy looking. I think the insertion on my quads is pretty low, so I don't get that nice high V than some people do. I hope maybe with the serious heavy lifting I'll see some change there.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I wish the spammers would quit copying the same thing over and over and over and over again. It's so annoying.

Yesterday I bought 4lbs of steak. It's just regular steak, not grass-fed but super thick. I cut it into 6 individual steaks and I cooked one rare last night before bed. I'm having it for breakfast cold. Cold rare beef. Yum!

I went to the gym in the early morning. It was nice then and the morning was so beautiful outside. I'm feeling stronger already. The pullup machine seemed easier. Some of the weights I started with are just too light. I feel stronger and healthier already and I feel good right afterwards. I'm glad that I decided to try this. I was afraid of the expense of hiring the trainer but I think it's been worth it.

I wore my new t-shirt that I bought at the meat market. It has a picture of a cow with the diagram of all the meat cuts and says "You can't beat our meat." I think it's pretty funny.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wore my new t-shirt that I bought at the meat market. It has a picture of a cow with the diagram of all the meat cuts and says "You can't beat our meat." I think it's pretty funny.
    Funny! My powerlifting coach has a t-shirt that says along the back hem: "Do these squats make my butt look big?"

That's a good one. I found a t-shirt that says "They are happy because they eat lard." I'm tempted to order one. I really want some cool t-shirts like that.

Boy my big giant steak for breakfast kept me satisfied all day. I ate a potato with it. Then I ate another potato later. I've taken a page from the potato eaters. They really do satisfy. As does steak. No dinner today. Just chocolate.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    The farm I buy our grass fed and pastured meat from has t-shirts that say: "Life's too short to eat crappy meat". I love that.

I have been eating like a horse lately. A lady at work gave me 5 Lindt chocolate bars and in a week's time I have eaten 4 of them. That's more than half a bar a day. I've eaten some monster steaks this week. But my waist is 29" and my clothes feel loose.

I found a good resource online that said instead of counting calories, do this at each of your three meals (if you are a man, double it):

- Palm sized (I guess that excludes your fingers) piece of meat
    - Fist sized pile of vegetables
    - Cupped hand sized starch if you need more calories
    - Thumb sized amount of fat or nuts

I bet I could do three meals a day of this and be stuffed. It might work better to eat more regularly if I'm going to be weight lifting. It makes me really hungry and I end up in this state where I am starved so I eat BIG, then I'm stuffed and go a long time without. Or maybe it doesn't matter much. I don't know.

Weightlifting makes me eat like a horse but get leaner. It really does affect the body differently than lighter weight strength training or cardio. Serious bodyweight training can do the same. I used to do intense bodyweight stuff at TKD training (handstand pushups, pullups, stuff like that) and ate tons then too. It's fun to freak out servers in restaurants when you down a huge amount of food as a leaner woman.

How are you finding your recovery?

Also, I am totally envious of your chocolate.

Owly's Journal

Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast