Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 68

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm feeling a bit better after a day of just potatoes and only 1/2 cup of brewed coffee. I was so sore from my exercise class on Tuesday yesterday. Today I feel a bit better on that front, too. I'm hoping that lifting some real weights might help me not get so sore so easily. I guess that sounds really silly, but it's like if I don't do something for a week or so and then do it, I'm practically crippled. It can happen with my exercise class or it can happen cleaning the tub (which I don't do often enough) or pulling weeds in the garden. I can't go on like this. I want some strength that sticks.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

I thought I would mention that doing a day and a half of just potatoes is actually kind of nice. I really like the blunting of the appetite that occurs. And I also like how with no choices of what to eat, I think about what to eat a lot less.

I'm finding that I like russet potatoes better than other kinds. I also like the purple ones.

Another thing: I'm starting to find the forum boring. The same dumb questions over and over.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Another thing: I'm starting to find the forum boring. The same dumb questions over and over.
    You should write a sticky that specifically is a tutorial for the search functions. Seriously. Although I think that would cut the truly original traffic back to a crawl, so maybe not. Or?

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    You should write a sticky that specifically is a tutorial for the search functions. Seriously. Although I think that would cut the truly original traffic back to a crawl, so maybe not. Or?
    Stickies are nice...but newbies rarely read them.

Also, we'd need a moderator to make it "stick".

This is the way of forums. I've gotten down to about four or five topics I care about here, and everything else is the personal journal of others. C'est la vie.

I'm not going to be able to write a sticky. And nobody would use the search anyway. It's hard to find stuff. Besides, having lots of activity makes the forum look more lively and makes it more inviting and fun when you are new and have lots of questions.

Anyway...

Whew, what a difficult week this has been. First the caffeine intoxication and feeling so awful from that. I was all bloated and uncomfortable. I felt super fat. I had to run to the bathroom a million times. I think I was having my period at the same time (I have no uterus so it's hard to know). My breasts were tender. I felt like utter crap.

Then Wednesday I did my potato fast. I felt a little better. But I was so sore from my Tuesday exercise class. I could barely lower myself to the toilet. I could hardly roll over in bed. It hurt to straddle the seat on my Vespa. I could barely walk around. The pain lasted until Friday morning. I could still feel some of the pain. So all that pain made me feel like crap.

So the potato fast went pretty well. Only potatoes on Wednesday. I felt pretty good. I had only potatoes for breakfast and lunch on Thursday. I was so hungry. I felt like I had absolutely no ability to stay satiated. Maybe the caffeine intoxication plus the inability to sleep hosed my insulin sensitivity or blood sugar control, who knows. I was so happy to eat real food on Thursday night that I ate way too much so I could barely sleep because I felt so full and uncomfortable.

So Friday morning comes, I still feel a little sore, I feel stuffed still from dinner the night before, I haven't slept well in a week, I'm still peeing like a maniac even though the caffeine intoxication seems better. I feel like crap. I ate a snack at mid-morning. Then I got my training in the weight room. Fortunately I felt okay for that. So I ate after that and now I'm back to feeling stuffed again like I did after dinner. And I was bad. I ate a bunch of chocolate. I'm all messed up.

The weight training was fun. I think I'm going to enjoy lifting weights a lot. The assisted pullup machine is really super fun. I have to put a lot of weight on it because I've never done a pullup before in my life until today.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Potty Squatting DOMS

That's what we call the inability to even sit on the toilet after
    a good weight training session.

If you become addicted to weight training, this is a sensation
    that you will soon begin to CRAVE.

Totally whack, but in a good way.

I feel you on the chocolate - I busted into my HUSBAND'S box of
    See's Candies last night (he buys HIS favorites for MY birthday, too...wha?)
    but I only ate three. However, they're 80 cals each... so there's that.

If you ever get tired of the assisted pull up machine, try negative chin ups -
    bring a bench under a pull up station, stand on it, get your hands in position
    (underhand, if there is a straight bar) put your chin over the bar, lift your legs
    up and SLOWLY lower yourself - even if this means straddling the bench you
    put under the thing.

Do that a few times and not only will it recruit more muscles than the pullup
    machine, but it will help you get to doing your own chinup faster.

And, you will definitely be hating life the next day from feeling muscles you didn't
    even know you had.

I remember my first time doing those back in 2007, I did about 8 and thought "what?
    what's the big deal?"

The next day I couldn't even use that little twisty stick thing that opens my vertical
    blinds it hurt so bad.

Then my kid asked me to make him some peanut butter toast and just spreading
    the peanut butter was a CHORE.

So lame.

It also recruits some crazy abdominal muscles I didn't know existed as well, like the
    muscles over your ribs. So weird.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it so far!

Sorry about feeling stuffed and your chocolate fest.... It happens, and it's not like you
    do it every night, so, bygones!

Julie

Well, I'm pretty embarrassed because I could use the assisted pullup machine and do pullups as if my body only weighed 30lbs. It will be a long time before I try it without the machine.

I'm only a little sore today. It's a good sore though, and nothing is sore that is used on the toilet. I went for a hike today. I ate a big can of salmon, an avocado, some macadamia/coconut butter creations that I make myself. I'm going out to dinner to some crappy joint. I was going to make lamb chops, but instead I'll probably end up eating a crappy salad at this place. Gosh, I hope they even have salads. I'm pretty full from all the salmon and macadamias.

Dr. Eades had some new posts on his Protein Power blog. I hadn't checked in ages and there they were. One post was about books that inspired him. There was a link to download an older book called The Stone Age Diet. I downloaded it. It's actually really interesting even with its antiquated tone of voice. I read the chapters on the digestive systems of carnivores, herbivores and people. Now I'm starting it from the beginning.

Another thing: I bought 5lbs of potatoes and 3lbs of yams. I am going to try a new diet change and see how this does for me. Lots of salmon and meat and lots of potatoes and no more salads for a while. Cooked vegetables at dinner time. I am starting to suspect that what happens is you get insulin resistance, you use low carb to lose the weight and heal, then it doesn't really matter what you eat anymore so long as it's not industrial stuff. With all these russets I can do a weekly potato fast.

Well, dinner out was actually really tasty. I got a steak, rare, with vegetables and a baked potato. A nice basic dinner. Once the rare steak hit my system, I got a sudden burst of energy and happiness. I need to eat more steak.

I downloaded these interesting books written a long time ago. They have a definite old-fashioned tone, but they are both extremely interesting. I read the chapters in the Stone Age Diet on the digestive systems of a dog, a sheep and a human and then I got distracted reading Vihljalmur Stefansson's descriptions of living with the eskimos in The Fat of the Land.

The Stone Age Diet
    Low Human Interference - The Stone Age Diet – Walter L Voegtlin – 1975

The Fat of the Land
    http://www.owndoc.com/pdf/The-fat-of-the-land.pdf

I like the description of the difference between grains and "monkey food" in the latter book. It seems that we can attain excellent health on monkey food but not on grains. It is grains that we aren't able to have good health on. Note that this book was written well before the amount of industrialization of food we have now. Monkey food is stuff like vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds and roots and tubers. So basically you can be healthy on only meat or meat and monkey food or eggs and dairy and monkey food, but you can't be healthy with grains in the diet or on a strict vegan diet.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 10-21-2012 at 06:00 PM.

I'm sorta craving oysters all of a sudden. I drove around to three different stores looking for oysters. I finally found them at Ralph's. Product of China. But at least they were packed in water instead of cottonseed oil and they weren't smoked. I hate that smoke flavor. I wonder where I can find oysters in water without smoke flavor that are from cleaner waters.

I ate one whole can of them and I'm ready to eat another can.

Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast