Page 63 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 63

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oooh. A big ass salad picture thread. If I ever do a salad that big again, for sure! But I suppose my normal big ass salads are pretty big.

Here's where I get my meat.
    Santa Cruz Markets - History
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I bought a can of mackerel. I didn't know what to expect. Inside were 5 chunks of whole fish! I fried up some onions, mushrooms and zucchini in olive oil. Tossed in the mackerel. Added some Italian herbs an voila! I really like the mackerel. it's delicious!

I have been so hungry from all this running. I eat a big salad for breakfast and then nothing the rest of the day. By dinner I'm really super hungry.

Also, I noticed since I bought some head cheese, that I kinda like eating tendons and cartilage now.
    be careful with that canned mackerel. I bought some once only to throw it away once I found out it was "wild caught" in china's polluted waters
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

I'll have to check next time, but I don't think it said caught in China. I think it was European, Spain if I remember correctly.

I took a picture of my big ass salad today. It's not that great of a picture.

I just eat the salad right out of the salad bowl rather than put it on a separate plate. It contains:
    - romaine and red leaf lettuce
    - half an avocado (only half because there just happened to be a half in the fridge)
    - half a beet
    - some yellow bell pepper
    - half an heirloom tomato
    - onion slivers
    - a generous portion of sliced, cooked liver
    - oil and vinegar (can you see the oil pooled in the avocado?)

My routine lately has been to postpone breakfast until mid-morning and have a big salad. It feels light in my stomach, even if I include lots of meat in the salad. Then I'm able to go running at lunch if I like without feeling a rock in my stomach. I have dinner at the regular time. Just two meals. If the salad is big enough, dinner is unwanted.

Today I bought fresh oysters at the farmer's market. I have never had oysters before. I don't understand this passive aggressive man of mine. Together we went shopping for a special oyster shucker tool and he seemed excited to try them. When I told him I bought some he made a face and said he'd watch me eat them. Okay, then I will eat them all. He can have one if he wants, but otherwise they are all mine.

I also bought ONE steak. Only one. It's all mine. I felt so free at the market today buying stuff only for me. He can have oatmeal with muscle milk and corn chips and pasta with artificial sauce and go to his grave believing that he's eating healthy and I'm killing myself. Good luck with that buddy. I really feel totally done with him, like ready to go look for my own apartment and a new life.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I really feel totally done with him, like ready to go look for my own apartment and a new life.
    I don't wish breakups on anybody, but it really seems and feels from this end like the two of you haven't been travelling the same road for a while now. I also get the feeling that you may not think you are really worth much - I just wanted to tell you that you are. You are lovable now, and you will still be lovable if you leave, regardless if The Man recognizes/recognized that or not.

I bought a size 2 pants at the thrift store. I have never owned a size 2. Size inflation no doubt is part of it. I don't think they are using the 1 2 3 size scheme. They're Banana Republic.

Oh yeah I forgot to write that I went for a 3 hour run today with no breakfast. Just coffee with half and half. My stomach growled for a while then stopped. I never felt tired. I ran through upscale Hope Ranch on a shaded horse trail. Washed my dusty feet in someone's sprinklers. I had a hard time toward the end keeping my heart rate down in the hot sun.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Can I ask how far/fast you go during these long hauls? I'm wondering cause about two years ago I was kind of obsessed with running and would go on epic (overnight) fasted runs of 15-17 miles ones a week. No music or anything, just nature, yadayada, very nice.

But I was eating very differently, and this was very much my idea of 'fit' at the time. I can't do it anymore, but I think I would if I could, if it was just the one time a week or something (as in, not just the climax to a week full of running half as far everyday anyway).

Just intrigued / curious, not sure if there's a question in there !

I don't know how far or fast. My max heart rate is 180 - my age, which is 133. I try to keep it around 127-131. I think it's about a 15+ minute mile, so very slow. 12 miles seems a bit of a stretch for how far I went yesterday. I have to walk up longer and steeper hills and as the time went on, I had to walk more even on flats.

During the week I run during my lunch hour. I have a little route planned out that's a little under 5 miles and almost perfectly flat. If I do that entire route it takes me more than one hour.

I wear a heart rate monitor. Wearing a monitor is the only way to truly illustrate to you how poor your aerobic base really is. The object of this is to work only your aerobic base and build slow-twitch muscles. These slow-twitch muscles use fat for energy. They are a different muscle fiber from the ones you use in anaerobic strength training. Those muscles use glycogen for energy. Eventually you will improve at the same heart rate. I've already noticed improvement. I can actually jog now when at the start I could only sort of shuffle.

It's an extremely slow pace. I endure a lot of embarrassing comments from other people. When I run on the weekends I try to seek out places where people won't see me so I don't have to hear all the "way to goes" and "you can do its". It's so embarrassing. When I'm all alone I can focus on how enjoyable and fun it is without worrying about my ego.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Ah ok, well I know how nice it is to have all that time in your own head, outside. Great that you've seen improvement already!

I know what you mean about having an audience when you're working out. It's like "I'd prefer if you just pretended I didn't exist." Odd that that's better !! I'm a total looky-lou at the gym though so I'm a hypocrite. : )

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe you should try walking. I do a 13 minute mile and I don't run. At first it feel silly, but I never get any atta girl comments.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Page 63 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast