Page 62 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 62

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Heart healthy breakfast 1: Instant oatmeal with added oat bran and muscle milk powder.
    Heart healthy breakfast 2: Big salad with carrots, tomatoes, beets, avocado, beef, oil and vinegar.

Which breakfast eater has an appointment with a cardiologist? Which one doesn't even have a cardiologist?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

I bought a can of mackerel. I didn't know what to expect. Inside were 5 chunks of whole fish! I fried up some onions, mushrooms and zucchini in olive oil. Tossed in the mackerel. Added some Italian herbs an voila! I really like the mackerel. it's delicious!

I have been so hungry from all this running. I eat a big salad for breakfast and then nothing the rest of the day. By dinner I'm really super hungry.

Also, I noticed since I bought some head cheese, that I kinda like eating tendons and cartilage now.

froggie is offline Member
    Ah, in France I used to eat canned mackerel in old-style mustard (the grainy kind). Yum.
    However the "fromage de tete" aka the head cheese, I could never go past the name!!

Of course I'm now all curious about it. Aaah the things we learn as we get wiser

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

The head cheese is kind of rubbery and crunchy. I thought it would be soft. It's not bad at all.

I am down a pound or two. All this low-level aerobic exercise may be working. It certainly makes me feel good. I am also spending a portion of the day feeling pretty hungry so I imagine that is also part of it. But I think it's the exercise that's making me more hungry, not a reduction in food. Anyway, it looked to me like my love handles were a lot smaller so I weighed myself. Interesting what a difference such a small amount of weight makes. I was about 131.5. We have a dial scale so that's not the most accurate but it does the job.

I have lots of theories based on my personal experience about all this high impact, heavy weight stuff. I really don't think it's good. There's too much of a miracle weight loss cure ring to the idea that all you have to do is 15 minutes of exercise and you'll get super fit and trim. The miracle weight loss thing rings all over Mark's writings so it's not surprising. The diet is a miracle if you have metabolic syndrome, but once you get that metabolic weight off, you are left with a long slog toward ideal weight just like everybody else and you have to really diet then.

I believe strength training is important, however, it's not a miracle weight loss machine and doing it as much as Mark suggests might work for some people, but for others it might be too much of a stressor leading to puffiness, weight maintenance, chronic injury (always being sore) and real injury. That was my experience after 9 months.

I am going to take only one strength training class a week after this little hiatus in exercise classes is over. And the only sprinting I will ever do is what comes naturally when I'm riding my bike to work and am running late. But I'll keep up the daily 1-2.5 hours per day or greater of low-level running and biking. Since hiking tends to raise my heart rate pretty high, that will be my anaerobic training. I know intuitively this is effective, healthy and the right thing to do.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 09-27-2012 at 06:56 AM.

lowcarbjas is offline Member
    I'm sooo jealous that you get to hike everyday I used to hike everyday when I lived in S.Korea coz the mountains are so accessible, but here in Toronto there are no mountains

I'm with you on the low level aerobic exercise - I have been thinking this whole primal way as a miracle cure - I've been eating too much fat and doing too little exercise - of course my weight loss has stalled.

Awesome that you lost weight on the love handles!!! It's a really hard area to lose!
    Start Weight: 63.6kg/140lbs
    Goal Weight: 54kg/118lbs

I don't hike every day, but I live within 10 minutes (or even an hour's walk) from several hiking trails.

So yesterday I woke up starving. I made an extra buttery coffee and prepared some stuff to add to my breakfast salad later. I rode my bike to work. I bought a cobb salad. Those are normally filling just as they are with the bacon, bleu cheese, egg slices and turkey ham on top. But I added my mixture of a whole avocado, all the leftover beef and tendons from making beef broth, oil and vinegar and olive tapenade. This was the biggest salad on the face of the earth and a giant fat bomb, too! It was sooo good. I ate the whole thing. I'm betting this was a 2000 calorie salad. I also went running at lunch and rode my bike home from work. I was so full all day I couldn't even eat dinner. I had a little snack and some wine, but I could have done without. This morning I am still full from that salad. I will have a little less today.

Breakfast served at the breakfast meeting this morning: bagels, donuts and grapes. It's like this almost every week. My turn is coming up. I think I'll bring poptarts and lucky charms. Why waste my money and time?

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Just make sure you save a little cupquiche for yourself. they're easy to make, portable and good cold. Let the rest eat cake. : )

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Breakfast served at the breakfast meeting this morning: bagels, donuts and grapes. It's like this almost every week. My turn is coming up. I think I'll bring poptarts and lucky charms. Why waste my money and time?
    Just bring a big bowl of white sugar and a dozen spoons.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't hike every day, but I live within 10 minutes (or even an hour's walk) from several hiking trails.

So yesterday I woke up starving. I made an extra buttery coffee and prepared some stuff to add to my breakfast salad later. I rode my bike to work. I bought a cobb salad. Those are normally filling just as they are with the bacon, bleu cheese, egg slices and turkey ham on top. But I added my mixture of a whole avocado, all the leftover beef and tendons from making beef broth, oil and vinegar and olive tapenade. This was the biggest salad on the face of the earth and a giant fat bomb, too! It was sooo good. I ate the whole thing. I'm betting this was a 2000 calorie salad. I also went running at lunch and rode my bike home from work. I was so full all day I couldn't even eat dinner. I had a little snack and some wine, but I could have done without. This morning I am still full from that salad. I will have a little less today.
    Start a big ass salad thread. I am sure our pictures will be entertaining. I made a broccoli slaw salad last week that contained just about some of everything in my pantry. I didn't eat dinner that night, either.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 62 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast