Page 61 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 61

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Santa Barbara is a city FULL of really beautiful people. If I went to the mid-west, I'd be one of the prettiest people there, but here in Santa Barbara I'm one of the ugliest ones for sure.
    Hey!! You calling me ugly?!?!

(Don't know squat about running - I don't do it except for fun stuff like squirt gun fights. Re The Ughs - I get them occasionally, and they will go away. Every once in a while I will look into the big bathroom mirror and just groan... prematurely white hair, tits heading south after breastfeeding four, weight to lose, a new cavity, and some odd wiry chin hair just to make me feel even more special... the cure for me is not to look into the mirror for a couple of days - by then I usually feel better about myself. And dark choc helps. And a movie night - something really, really not-intellectual like a Schwarzenegger flick or something.)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Haha. Yeah, Terminator movies are always fun.

The boyfriend was teasing me about the odd bits again and mentioned ears. I said they sell ears at the market and there's a recipe for ears in my cookbook. He looked really horrified I might serve him ears. Instead, I bought head cheese at the meat market which has ears in it. It's sort of crunchy. Tastes good to me, but I don't think I could eat a whole plate of ears. A little bit of them in head cheese is plenty. The head cheese was sliced like lunch meat but it looks like they also sell a head cheese loaf.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Well, I have way too much food now. I just went to the farmer's market. Including leftovers still in the fridge, I have so much food I think I should stay away from grocery stores for two weeks. This is what my low carb looks like:

Swiss chard
    Beet Greens
    Beets
    Carrots
    Lettuce
    Cauliflower
    Onions
    Cilantro
    Several yellow and red bell peppers
    Heirloom tomatoes
    Zucchini
    Eggplant
    Sapote
    Figs
    Lamb chops
    Grassfed liver
    Chicken liver, several containers
    Pesto and liver pate, homemade, lots of containers
    Soup bones
    Marrow bones
    Head cheese
    One cooked steak
    Pork belly

I also have various cheeses, condiments, butter, nuts, canned squid in ink, sardines in olive oil and those random things in the fridge and cupboards that never go away.

Hopefully my boyfriend will buy some chicken breasts and salmon. I will eat the salmon with pleasure and if he serves the breasts I will eat them because he's a good cook, but I like to cook myself a steak or chop and him a breast and enjoy my red meats without a side-order of grumbling.

Here in Santa Barbara where avocados roll down the streets, I was sitting in my back yard and a giant avocado almost hit me in the head. So now avocados are falling from the sky. It cracked open when it fell. It appeared to already be ripe. That is very strange because they do not ripen while on the tree. I used it to make mashed cauliflower, having once seen a picture of mashed cauliflower that added avocado. It was pretty good. I also added bone marrow fat, but probably could have done without. I made baba ganoush, too and baked some salmon with pesto on top. All that was dinner.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    I'm sooo jealous and your dinner, nom! I haven't tried mashed cauliflower yet...I usually eat it raw but now I'm wondering if I'd get more nutrients if I cooked it. From what's being posted around here quite a few of us are squirreling away food for winter!

The cauliflower and avocado was so fatty I had trouble sleeping. I was too full and ate too much too quickly.

This morning I had some coffee with butter and set off to lead the Sierra Club Hike. Today's hike was a very strenuous one in the hot sun with lots of elevation gain. Beta-blocker Bob of course struggled up the mountain. He has that profound brain fog of someone on statins. I had to wait to make sure he wouldn't get lost. He can't find his way out of a paper bag. Rescue Mission Eric had heard that fasting would cleanse your soul. Oh great. So he had no real food and hardly any water. He's normally quite the strapping hard working type, the kind who can pick broccoli with the farm laborers. He struggled in the heat and looked like he might puke. We all had to give him water to keep him going. I informed him that people who fast and don't drink water sit all day and meditate. They don't hike up big mountains in the hot sun. He informed me that Russia had robots that look like real people. Such is the life of the Sierra Club hike leader.

Meanwhile in my own bubble trying to ignore speedy Barbara nipping at my heels, I hiked with full strength to the summit where I had a cold steak for breakfast plus some macadamias and coconut butter. Then during the long descent which only got hotter as the day went on, with puffs of hot radiant heat coming off the trail pushing the immediate local temps to around 95 or so, I just felt stronger and stronger. We had to stop frequently in the shade to rehydrate Eric and rest Beta-blocker Bob. I could feel that my Maffetone training has made the hiking and even the heat and semi-fasting that I did easier. I could have kept going for many more hours. But I was glad to finish the hike and say good-bye to everyone.

Paleobird Guest
    Hey SB. Onalark and i are considering going in on a cow together sometime around November.

Eden Tropics

This place is in Temecula about halfway between SD and LA and they have great prices. $2/lb for all grass fed and finished, totally organic plus halal butchering. And they let you have all the odd bits like the fat and organs.

Would you be interested in getting in on this? They also do goat and lambs but only whole ones. (When I say whole I mean it is cut up and packaged, just that they only sell a whole one.) Let us know.

I will pm you, PB.

In addition to grass-fed steak being an excellent protein bar for a strenuous hike, here's what I took for electrolytes:

Pour in hand, lick off hand, chase with copious water. One about 45 minutes before the hike. Another at lunch. Works well and you can get these free in many places.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Here in Santa Barbara where avocados roll down the streets, I was sitting in my back yard and a giant avocado almost hit me in the head. So now avocados are falling from the sky. It cracked open when it fell. It appeared to already be ripe. That is very strange because they do not ripen while on the tree. I used it to make mashed cauliflower, having once seen a picture of mashed cauliflower that added avocado. It was pretty good. I also added bone marrow fat, but probably could have done without. I made baba ganoush, too and baked some salmon with pesto on top. All that was dinner.
    to the dinner
    to using the green missile in your dinner
    that I wasn't there to help you eat it all (sounds lovely)

My boyfriend was up all night. He complained earlier about not being able to get his sleeping pill prescription filled. In the middle of the night he all of a sudden drove away. I thought he was going in search of sleeping pills. I guess he had chest pains. Doctors said his heart is fine. Whatever is the source of the pain it's not his heart. It's probably my cooking. I gotta get to Trader Joe's and get a bunch of chicken and fish. Lamb and beef should be reserved for me.

Page 61 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast