Page 60 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 60

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Is there anything sadder than boneless, skinless chicken breast? I can't believe I cooked that for dinner. Blech. My plan was to cook chicken and rice for The Man and have a leftover pastured lamp chop and beet greens for myself. But the breast was so big it would have made too many leftovers. So I skipped the pastured lamb chop. Then The Man took most of the beet greens! I thought for sure it would be beet green fake-out and he'd take one look at that and skip it. The chicken breast nothingness was cooked in peanut satay sauce. Not exactly the most paleo of meals. I had this desperate feeling while eating it that what I really needed was lard. Real animal fat. Instead I ate a bunch of raw almonds and felt even more depressed.

Things just aren't going all that well. I feel so fat. I don't know if it was the month of low carb, high fat finally catching up to me and giving me a big blubbery belly or if it's the more recent salads and running. Or maybe it's that I've been having lots of cream or butter in my coffee and trying not to have any real breakfast until mid-morning or later. I've had zits. I've had intestinal problems. My feet have been peeling all over. My muscles are sore and I'm fat. Ugh.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I had this desperate feeling while eating it that what I really needed was lard. Real animal fat. Instead I ate a bunch of raw almonds and felt even more depressed.
    I have that feeling whenever I eat lean meat. For me at least, it goes away if I add 1-2 tbsp of butter to it. Even one tbsp of butter has more fat than a handful of almonds.

I should have done that. I should have filled the pan with ghee. Then it would have been good.

Today rather than pay $4 for a salad in the cafe at work again today, I brought home the little plastic clamshell they put the salads in, washed it, and filled it with a salad of my own making. Lots of veggies plus leftover lamb and avocado. Should make a nice breakfast later this morning. Buttered coffee to fill the void until then.

There's a post about sprinting right now but I've decided that I don't find sprinting to be all that valuable or natural. I understand it has all kinds of benefits and it's not like I think they should never be done, but I think the whole Grok metaphor breaks down regarding sprinting.

First of all, we are humans, not gazelles. We can't outrun anything that is big and scary enough to eat us. In fact, NOT running from lions, for example, is the correct procedure to avoid getting eaten. The idea we evolved to sprint to run from predators is laughable. We have other more effective tools against predators. We have technology: we can throw rocks, spears, sticks or even fire at predators. We also have brains: we can read animal body language to know whether an animal is a threat or not. We also know enough about our world to be able to heal ourselves from injury using herbs, for example, or even using technology. We also have culture: we don't just look the other way when someone in our group is being attacked. We help each other. By the time we became fully human we had all these skills and behaviors and running away from predators was hardly necessary.

Furthermore, our real predators are small. Vectors that carry microbes that kill us. Mosquitoes, ticks, flies, worms, bacteria and viruses. These killers actually outwit all our skills of technology, smarts and culture.

The idea we could chase any prey is also pretty laughable. We are so slow and bad at running there is no way we could chase down food to eat by running fast. Have you ever seen how a deer can bound up a steep cliff? You can't chase something like that no matter how hungry you are. We outwit and prowl. We lay in wait. Sometimes we pounce.

So if we did any sprinting at all, it was to gain some speed to throw a spear or something like that. Or to chase something we'd already injured mortally. Or to chase our kids.

Anyway, I really think that so much of the PB Fitness program is filled with stress-inducing high-energy, heavy weight things that maybe aren't all that good for you, at least not done in the quantities that are suggested. All that lifting heavy and sprinting might give Mark a six-pack, but I think it makes me puffy, injured and swollen. It's only a thought, though. I don't have any proof yet that doing anything differently is better. But I do know that when I look around at the people around me, among women it's not the weight lifters and cross-fitters that are lithe and lean it's the runners and the walkers and the yoga-ers. Maybe it's not like that in other cities, but it's like that in mine for sure. Santa Barbara is a city FULL of really beautiful people. If I went to the mid-west, I'd be one of the prettiest people there, but here in Santa Barbara I'm one of the ugliest ones for sure.

I think I've eaten too much salad. It gives me the runs, I guess. My salad yesterday had steak on it. It's actually been like summer for over month now so that's made salad seem tasty to me. This morning I had leftovers from last night for breakfast. And I was naughty and had a bulletproof crio bru + coffee to go along with it. In lieu of dressing on the salad, of course. This is the first time I've eaten breakfast early in the morning in a long time. I woke up hungry in the middle of the night.

There was potato/cheese/bacon/sausage casserole at the weekly breakfast this morning. It was all crispy on the edges. I couldn't resist. I ate three servings. I guess it's a carb-up day. Oh well.

I think the running I've been doing is making me gain weight. Searching the web, it appears that many runners gain weight when training for marathons because their bodies store more glycogen from the carbs they eat. So if I'm eating low carbohydrate, where the heck am I getting the glycogen from? The salad? The meat? My own muscles? I have not been eating more calories so I can't be getting fat from calories. I've downloaded the Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. Perhaps there will be some useful information in there.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    I'm following your efforts with interest because as a beginner I'm still working on what and how much I should be eating. I've decided to use the guidelines for fat, carb and protein and weigh things so I can 'see' how much 150 grams of protein is. I wonder how anyone can eat 5 eggs, bacon and BP coffee and also eat a portion of meat later in the day. I'll figure it out...in time.

I'm reading Mark's book so hopefully I'll get a handle on this. I've been making kefir and tried it with dairy but it's a no go, my body doesn't do casein. So I make it with coconut milk and rest the 'grains' in milk ever 3rd day. I have Kombucha brewing and with my histamine issues who knows if I'll be able to drink that...I'll find out

About your thoughts on sprinting. There are African tribes that do run down their prey. From what I could see it's pretty flat terrain and hot. They worked as a team like wolves do, each taking turns in the lead. They didn't run full out but at a good steady clip making the animal run. Eventually the animal overheats and collapses and they are able to make the kill. It can be done. Just some information...
    Last edited by meeme; 09-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Yeah, that's the persistence hunting. They do not have to run faster than their prey. Just longer. That's what I meant about us not chasing our dinner.

Good luck to you figuring this all out. I'm still trying to figure it out. And I'm still fat. I want to be thin someday. Just once in my life.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You'd be an outstanding persistence hunter!!

Page 60 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast