Page 6 of 80 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 6

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My feet are too wide, too. So I hike in sandals or I bought these Altra running shoes that are too narrow but a lot better than most shoes because the toe part isn't pointy. Altra is a small company that tries to make shoes for the barefoot runners but some of their shoes are nicely cushioned, which I like.

I bought a pass to take weight lifting classes at the university where I work. I'll probably be so sore after the first class I won't be able to move. Classes start on Tuesday.

I IFed yesterday on accident. I mean, I was going to give up the IF because it was making me cold. But yesterday was really warm, even in the evening. I went to my fiddle session as usual and when I got home I thought it was too late to cook, plus I had to do some web stuff for my one and only freelance client. I was pretty hungry but it wasn't too bad. I always look forward to a feast after a fast, my mind makes up all these giant meals, but I can never eat any more than usual when it's time to break the fast.

I went to the dentist yesterday because one of my teeth that he worked on still hurts. He said the gum was infected and gave me antibiotics. I really don't want to take them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Melisa is offline Member
    Grundy Center, Iowa (Not exactly primal friendly in the land of corn and confinements!)
    I am loving your journal! About the infection in your mouth, do a google search on oil pulling and holistic rememdies for teeth. Oil pulling is basically gargling with oil and as far as the holistic teeth rememdies, I know they involve ghee and raw honey, but don't remember the specifics. If you do take the antibiotics, make sure to pick up a high count probiotic (they should be refrigerated) to restore your gut flora.
    Melisa Anderson
    Holistic Wellness Coach, Personal Trainer
    1-1-12: 175lbs

"Live a fearless life and stay focused on things you wish to have or things you wish to see happen in life.
    "The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear." ~ Brian Tracy

Here is a picture of me as a silhouette. I'm wearing a tight t-shirt and some jeans with a fabric belt. Anyway, I hate that my body is going down to my waist at my ribs, then bulges out a bit around my stomach before getting to the thinnest part of my waist, which is not really very waist-like. Why won't that go away?

Thank you for the teeth tips. I wonder if I made a tea of ginger and ghee and tried to sort of soak my tooth as I drank it would work. I don't want to hurt my gut flora. The dentist poked it with one of his medieval dental poking tools and that actually seemed to help a little. Released some fluid or something.

I'm having fun playing with my ipod touch. I can snap a picture and upload to flickr so much easier than with my camera and computer. So here's another picture. It takes pretty bad pictures in the early morning, but what the heck. This was my breakfast. As I prepared it I just got hungrier and hungrier so I did feast after all. It's chicken liver, plantain (wild picked greens) and 1 mushroom, 3 pastured eggs (can you believe those are cooked almost hard?) and almost half an avocado. Yum!

Hi! I just started reading your journal. Great work! I noticed in this post below that you made a tasty beef liver with butter. Would you mind sharing how you cooked it with me? I am trying to incorporate liver in to my eating, but the cooking and taste aren't going to well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Breakfast today was half a piece of beef liver, half a patty of chorizo, two eggs, a little bit of onion and half a tomato, all cooked in butter. Coffee with cream, two mugs.

I was surprised by the liver. It was really good. I will definitely get more liver. I can see big hunks of liver in my future.

I think for dinner I'll make steak and vegetables for me and either frozen pizza or frozen tamales for The Man. He doesn't like my diet. He ate cinnamon swirl bread with almond butter and fruit for breakfast. That's how he rolls.
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

I just chopped up some onions and fried them in a pan with a litte butter, then when they started getting a little soft, tossed in the liver. Try to keep the onions on one side of the pan and the liver on the other so it's easier to stir up the onions every now and then. Flipped the liver a couple times. I think I cut a little slice at some point to make sure the liver was done. I cook everything like this pretty much, including my delicious breakfast above. All that in one pan.

The inch I gained last week is gone, thankfully. I suppose if the tape measure wasn't so cold, I could have wrapped it a little tighter and seen more than an inch.

I totally pigged out last night. My beef stew was delicious. Finally a way to "dispose" of that awful bone broth I made. I had two helpings. I had two desserts, too. I shouldn't have. I had a piece of chocolate and then remembered that I had thawed some frozen blackberries. I didn't want them to go to waste, so I fixed a small bowl of them with cream. Delicious. I'll eat the rest tonight, maybe. I also had two glasses of wine. I guess I made up for not eating dinner on Wednesday night.

I ate high carb today and avoided fat. I ate half a sweet potato and a can of salmon (the kind with bones and skin) for breakfast. Hiked up a big mountain (weightlifted my big butt up a mountain). Ate another can of salmon for lunch and a slab of yam. Hiked down the mountain. Went out to a bar and had a glass of wine (instead of beer like everybody else). Then ate some more yam for dinner with a couple bites of pickled herring. Probably not the best selection, but it was my attempt at a carb re-feed. We'll see if it was enough to jog my metabolism a little. I do know that I felt much stronger than I have in a long time on a steep uphill climb like this. So higher carb might be a good way to deal with the days I go for big hikes. I was afraid I might get hungry without my usual high fat/high protein breakfast, but I really never was hungry all day.

Over the beers, I argued with a nurse practitioner who believes diabetics should have complex carbs, not protein and fat. It's very sad how the medical system keeps people sick.

So my little carb refeed experiment didn't seem to bloat me up. I feel pretty lean today. But maybe that is because I found a really cool jean skirt in the free box in Isla Vista.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not much new to report except that my tape measure measurement of my waist was slightly below the 30" marker for the first time. Not enough to count in my opinion. Also, my stomach had a strange flatness about it this morning. Dare I say that I almost had abs? Almost, as in barely visible, lady-like, one-pack abs at best. In any case, things remain encouraging. I hate to jynx it, but it does appear that I am not finished, I am still moving forward toward a better physique.

Steak and eggs with veggies and homemade pico de gallo salsa this morning. My weight-lifting class is in a few minutes... Yeah, Jack LaLanne is smiling down at me.

Page 6 of 80 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast