Page 58 of 80 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 58

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I like the email you sent him. It looks like a pretty good list of guidelines for just about anyone eating primal.

Pony500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It's been 94 degrees in my living room all damn day. Urgh!

The folks who regularly experience super hot summer weather don't understand what delicate flowers we southern Californians are. Anything under 60 or over 80 is out of the comfort zone. They probably think we're a bunch of whingers.
    Um yeah, we had like a couple of months with temps above 90 this summer (with that God awful humidity) here in the Northeast--it sucked. I'm ready to move to Alaska! I'm surprized it's that hot out in CA now. We're finally getting really nice temps here--72 today and 45 tonight! Yay!! I love the cold actually--can't sleep in the heat.

Pony500 is offline Member
    SB--it's a good e-mail you sent to him. He just seems like he just may not be ready to hear it. That's the thing I guess, people need to be ready to hear what you have to say. I just graduated from a Health Coach program and I am paralyzed with fear that people just don't want to hear it. But, I guess there certainly are those who do--pretty much anyone here on this forum and many many others. But it's the ones with the diet soda, pasta and low fat frankenfoods in their shopping carts that I'd really like to reach, but those are the very people who just don't want to hear it.........

meeme is offline Senior Member
    The mere thought of giving up their wheat is enough to send them screaming...even if they were able to hear you they can't imagine living without it.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't care if he wants to eat wheat and sugar and whatever. I just want him to stop telling me MY food choices are unhealthy, disgusting and complicated. There is nothing unhealthy, disgusting or complicated about olive oil and baked salmon and steamed vegetables and salad.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

So here's a thought. Betorq pasted a quite from Kurt Harris in Paleobird's journal where he said that the fiber in veggies is converted to fat in the gut, and Paleobird said the same thing. So having a big salad should be considered high fat, or contributing to it. So if I eat salads with meat on them that would be a way of doing high fat even if the macros in a tracking app don't reflect it. I have been finding such salads to be satisfying (the fish or meat makes them more satisfying) and lite in this Indian summer. Plus I can exercise after eating them without my food coming back up.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    This intrigued me - so I did a short search and found an article talking about this very thing. http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/fa...er/printer.php

Although this isn't a primal/paleo perspective - it does discuss the process of fiber converting to short-chain fatty acids in the gut. Just thought I'd throw it there in case you wanted to take a look at it.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

That's interesting. Doesn't it kind of make you mad that men's health has so many paleo or otherwise more effective nutrition articles but women's mags? Not worth reading. I was reading Discover mag today and they actually had an article about fecal transplants. Now if they'd just do one on the paleo diet then maybe my boyfriend would hop on board.

So today I went for a 2.5 hour run with my heart rate monitor. That was probably just a little too much because toward the end I could hardly keep my heart rate down and ended up walking quite a bit. But it was very enjoyable to run so slow and long like that. Kind of like going for a hike. It was quite an adventure.

I might have to quit the low carb club after this weekend. The rice on Friday, the sushi with rice and my sashimi salad with mango slices yesterday, a whole basket of figs between yesterday and today plus sweet potatoes and sapotes (a tropical fruit) at dinner.

I made lamb again. I never had lamb growing up. I've only recently had it. Maybe only this year. I really like it. It's different. It's tender and juicy and kinda fatty but not in a gross way. I've cooked it only a couple times.

This time I had sirloin chops (local!). I squeezed a lemon over them, put some chopped garlic and snipped fresh rosemary on top (I raid the parking strip in front of the neighbor's house--he has rosemary growing there) with some sea salt. Then I used a probe in the oven and cooked them at 275 degrees until they were 115 degrees inside. Then I transferred everything to a pan with olive oil and fried the chops 2 minutes on each side just so they'd look nicer. Then I took them out of the pan and added a small amount of red wine and cooked the garlic, olive oil, rosemary and lemon until it was almost gone. Then poured that over the chops and let it all sit for 10 minutes. They came out great! I'm so happy I can cook nice meals. I don't know how well they are appreciated, but I know what good food is and that was Good Food.

I am so sore today! Running uses totally different muscles. My quads are killing me.

I feel kind of "large" today. Whether that is from swelling from the muscle soreness, or weight/fat gain, I'm glad I didn't toss out all my baggy pants.

I think I'm going to give up on the super low carb high fat thing. I think I will just focus on eating meat and vegetables and not make any particular effort to consume more fat or less meat.

I think I can say for sure after a year of it, that the PB Fitness program isn't very effective for weight loss. It helps, for sure, but it doesn't make me look like a female version of Mark.

I'm going to give the slow running a shot for a while and see what happens. It's just different enough it might shake things up for me. I'm definitely going to resume my core fitness class when it's available again, but I think it might only happen once a week next quarter.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't care if he wants to eat wheat and sugar and whatever. I just want him to stop telling me MY food choices are unhealthy, disgusting and complicated. There is nothing unhealthy, disgusting or complicated about olive oil and baked salmon and steamed vegetables and salad.
    Ah..it's hard I know and no there is nothing unhealthy or disgusting about your diet. Does he say things like that and if so why? It's curious.

Page 58 of 80 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast