Page 57 of 80 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 57

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My boyfriend just got some gluten-free cookbooks in the mail. He won't read anything I give him and he won't listen when I talk to him, so that is why he doesn't quite get it. I have never even used the word gluten or gluten-free.
    Men....*sigh*

Maybe you will have a new topic of conversation??

Paleobird Guest
    Dunno about where you are SB, but it's 91 degrees in my living room under a ceiling fan right now. The dog looked at me like, "Don't even think about going for a walk today. I am not mad and you are not English. We are staying right here until it cools off."

tomi is offline Senior Member
    How is bf feeling now that the procedure is several days in the past?

Did he order the gluten free cookbooks?

I wonder if you are over training? Sounds like you walk/bike a LOT!!!! maybe too much for your calorie intake and its causing that "not enough calories" stall ????? Try backing down a bit on the exercise and see if anything happens. Also - could be you've found your natural set weight and from here it will be just toning and contouring????
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It is HOT today! Not 91 though. Shade is okay.

We went for a slow walk to coffee and he felt fine. Wanted to walk slow but kept speeding up.

It's nice he wanted to buy the cookbooks but he wouldn't let me verbally explain why I don't want to eat piles of gluten free pasta. So I wrote a big email. I hope he reads it. He probably won't. He started back on his oat bran again. Lots of loud farting in the middle of the night last night.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Pony500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's nice he wanted to buy the cookbooks but he wouldn't let me verbally explain why I don't want to eat piles of gluten free pasta. So I wrote a big email. I hope he reads it. He probably won't. He started back on his oat bran again. Lots of loud farting in the middle of the night last night.
    Okay, this seriously cracked me up!!!

And funny, I used to communicate with my insecure/jealous men with letters and e-mails too--seemed to be the only way I could really say what was on my mind. I don't think that's good. Your BF seems to be rather closed-minded and hard to communicate with, which I'm sure sucks.

Yes, he definitely is. My big email spelled out why I changed my diet and what I changed it to, exactly what I will not eat. Plus links to stuff if he was interested.

Anyway, to answer tomi above, yes definitely, I believe I am overtrained. It's the biggest reason I bought Phil Maffetone's book.
    http://www.philmaffetone.com/files/T...g-Syndrome.pdf

I have a heart rate monitor and I'm trying now to do exercise below my maximum. Walking is easy. Biking to work was a little harder but once I realized as long as I breathe through my nose the whole time I can stay well below my maximum, then that was easy. Running is hard. I can hardly run at all. I get all kinds of embarrassing comments from other runners. "You can do it!" "Keep going!" "Way to go!" It's like they think I'm a retard or something. I shuffle along barely faster than a walk and have to stop every few minutes. I have two weeks off from my strength training. I quit the sprinting. I am not so sure about the value of sprinting. It gives you a burst of energy but do it every 10 days and it seems more likely to injure you or at least wear you out too much. So I've given that up. "Sprinting" will be if I go over my Maffetone heart rate, which is a pitiful 133 beats per minute. I don't have to lead a Sierra Club hike this weekend, so no hiking. I don't think I have to lead one next weekend, either.

Dang it was hot today. Definitely in the 90s, maybe even close to 100, once I got away from the beach. I spent the day in the shade in Goleta playing my fiddle at the Stowe House. They have good shade there.

Here's the email I wrote:

Please read at least the first few paragraphs even if you won't read the linked articles. This hopefully will help you understand exactly what I will and won't eat and why.

Here is the diet I am trying to do:

Avoid Neolithic agents of disease:
    - Flour (acellular carbohydrate)
    - Grains of all kinds, except a little rice, quinoa or wild rice once in a while
    - Industrially produced vegetable oils from seeds (corn, soybean, grapeseed, canola, etc.)
    - Sugar, including hidden sugar in foods like sauces, marinades, etc. high fructose corn syrup and other sugars
    - Processed foods, fast foods, things like soy protein isolate, the many forms of MSG (hydrolized vegetable protein or hydrolized yeast extract), foods that aren't real (such as sour cream made of milk and nonfat milk solids) etc.

I will eat anything that isn't the above. That means I won't eat:
    - Bread, pasta, huge piles of rice under my veggies (small amount is okay)
    - Stuff fried or processed with soybean, corn, canola oil etc. I understand that mayonnaise that tastes good and isn't made with soybean or canola is impossible to find, so once in a while is okay.
    - Large amounts of beans and legumes (A little is okay by me, I love Indian food)
    - Pastries, candy, cookies, sugar, artificial sweeteners, energy drinks and bars.
    - Prefer to avoid hidden sugar in sauces and marinades or flavored rice products and many Trader Joe's prepared foods. I have eaten this anyway to not make you mad, but I try to limit it and make my own instead.

Why:
    Carbohydrate intolerance/insulin resistance/beginning stages of Metabolic Syndrome
    Signs and symptoms include:
    1. Poor concentration or sleepiness after meals (check on sleepiness)
    2. Increased intestinal gas or bloating after meals (not sure)
    3. Frequently hungry (super check)
    4. Increasing abdominal fat or facial fat (check)
    5. Frequently fatigued or low energy (check)
    6. Insomnia or sleep apnea (nope)
    7. Waist size increasing with age (check)
    8. Fingers swollen/feeling “tight” after exercise (check)
    9. Personal or family history: diabetes, kidney or gall stones, gout, high blood pressure, high cholesterol/low HDL, high triglycerides, heart disease, stroke breast cancer (check on the high cholesterol and triglycerides)
    10. Low meat, fish or egg intake (check, especially the decades before I met you)
    11. Frequent cravings for sweets or caffeine (check)
    12. Polycystic ovary (ovarian cysts) for women. (nope)

Information that helped me figure this out:
    - Why Hikers Get Fat
    - Authors@Google: Gary Taubes - YouTube (Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat" talk at Google)
    - LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com (Swedish Low Carb High Fat food movement)
    - Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - 2 Week Test (A two week carbohydrate intolerance test, I simply did the LCHF thing above and got immediate, miraculous results)
    - Comparison with ancestral diets suggests dense acellular carbohydrates (What is acellular carbohydrate and what does it do)

I am not trying to kill you.
    Cholesterol/Dietary Fat/Heart Disease:
    - Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Fat and Heart (Fat and heart health)
    - What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? - New York Times (How we came to believe erroneously that fat causes heart disease)
    - Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart: Scientific American (This info is in mainstream publications)

I am trying to eat the foods you say you want to eat. Basically a Mediterranean Diet. I am happy to eat steamed veggies, salads, fish and chicken, but please understand the Mediterranean Diet is not vegetarian, not pasta, does not avoid red meat and is not low fat.
    - Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Mediterr diet (What the real mediterranean diet is)

Furthermore, since Inflammation is a major cause of health problems, you personally may find these articles useful or at least interesting.
    - http://www.philmaffetone.com/files/A...te_4-08(1).pdf (Inflammation)
    - http://www.philmaffetone.com/files/T...g-Syndrome.pdf (Symptoms of overtraining)

Paleobird Guest
    It's been 94 degrees in my living room all damn day. Urgh!

The folks who regularly experience super hot summer weather don't understand what delicate flowers we southern Californians are. Anything under 60 or over 80 is out of the comfort zone. They probably think we're a bunch of whingers.

That bf of yours really seems like he has a self destructive streak in his personality. Like he almost wouldn't know what to do with vibrant health and no ailments.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That bf of yours really seems like he has a self destructive streak in his personality. Like he almost wouldn't know what to do with vibrant health and no ailments.
    I often think the same thing. That's why I sometimes think he's a hypochondriac. And then that's when he'll actually get a diagnosis. So now I don't know what to think anymore. I just know that with almost 15 years less than him, if I can do anything now to not end up like him, I will do it.

I think we're going out for Sushi tonight. It was 97 today at one point. I don't know if that was the high. Yes, we are delicate flowers. It's never as cold in San Diego as Santa Barbara, so you guys are wimps when it comes to cold, but it's never as hot here as in San Diego so we are wimps when it comes to heat.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Maybe he's taking baby steps and will eventually come to see that your way is the best/right way? So, he's 62? He's a long time to get set in his ways. But if he's looking at gluten free - perhaps the next step will be grain free?

One can only hope............

good luck!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Page 57 of 80 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast