Page 50 of 80 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 50

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I got a heart rate monitor yesterday and tested it on a short hike up to the park. I have to run the flats and downhills to get my heartrate to my target zone, which is between 123 and 133. 133 is the max. I wore my monitor today on my bike ride to work and it was hard keeping my heart rate below 133 on hills, and way too easy to let it slip below 120 on the flats. I have to remember to push myself a little but not too much.

I really think Maffetone method is going to be very effective for me. I have a tendency to push myself too hard, which according to him, pushes you into the anaerobic zone. By keeping heart rate low, you can improve your aerobic fitness and also improve the metabolic machinery that is activated by low-carb/ketosis. The fat-burning metabolic pathways.

In the past whenever I've gotten into bicycling I've always gained weight. It has never helped me lose weight. I can see now that I was a) triggering sugar-burning and turning off fat burning, b) working too hard and triggering stress/cortisol responses and inflammation. So I really think this whole MAF thing is going to help immensely.

As for eating, my calories have been more consistently around 1500. It's been easier to keep them there, while the first week's return to low carb it was hard to keep them below 1900.

Lately I've eating too much for dinner, making myself very uncomfortable. Perhaps I will naturally start eating below 1500 if I can get this pattern under control. My pattern lately has been bone broth and coffee with lots of HWC for breakfast, then a real meal somewhere between 10 and noon. Today's meal will be lettuce wraps with goat cheese and pesto and a diced avocado with walnut oil. Then late afternoon I've been having a snack. That's usually where I set myself up for overeating at dinner. When dinner comes I'm not that hungry but I eat the full portion anyway and then I'm uncomfortably stuffed. So I'll try to either skip the snack or have a much smaller one. I may fail for a while until my brain catches up to the idea that no, I'm not going to starve to death, I don't have to eat so much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

My boyfriend downloaded an app that takes your picture and guesses your age. The app guessed his age and got it exactly right. The app guessed my age at 41. Six years younger than I am. Yay!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Sbhikes! Just wanted to say that I find your posts great to read, whether on your journal or elsewhere.

Thank you. I'm glad my drivel is helpful.

So I think I'm starting to lose weight again. At least I haven't gained and I feel like I could probably put on my swimsuit without complete mortification. My waist has been at 29" which is good. Even last night after dinner I weighed myself and my weight was 133.

I feel so good. This Maffetone exercise thing is great. I wore my heart monitor on my bike ride to and from work. My target heart rate is a decent workout, but not so hard as I normally do. It reinforces that I've been exercising too hard and shutting off the whole fat-adaptation/fat-burning thing. I am going to try it running today. I'm debating whether I should do a full-on MAF test around the track. I would really rather go running out near the beach. But the heart rate thing is supposed to work with a speed test so you can judge your progress. I am not as numbers driven as most people. But I might kick myself for not testing at the beginning, like I sometimes wish I had weighed myself at the start so I really knew what my progress has been.

I my god I just went for a "run" with my heart monitor. I can barely run and stay under my maximum heart rate. It's more like a barely almost shuffle of a run. It took me a whole hour to go 5 miles. But that's okay. Because someday I'll be able to really run and it'll still feel just as easy-going as that.

The scale is moving down! I'm so excited! I actually weighed myself last night AFTER dinner and I weighed 132. A few days ago I weighed 134. I know it could be water, but I actually FEEL lighter and thinner. This is so wonderful!

On the fitness front, I read somewhere on Maffetone's site or maybe in his book that a sign of overtraining is a very low resting heartrate that shoots up quickly when you exercise, then comes down quickly again when you stop. Sometimes the low resting heartrate is as low as in the 30s. Mine is around 60 and I've seen it in the 50s. And then when I exercise, I can't exercise very hard before it's over my max of 133. So I probably am overtrained and lacking in aerobic fitness. It's pretty exciting to know I'm moving in the right direction. I love having this new goal.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Congrats!

Pony500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The scale is moving down! I'm so excited! I actually weighed myself last night AFTER dinner and I weighed 132. A few days ago I weighed 134. I know it could be water, but I actually FEEL lighter and thinner. This is so wonderful!

On the fitness front, I read somewhere on Maffetone's site or maybe in his book that a sign of overtraining is a very low resting heartrate that shoots up quickly when you exercise, then comes down quickly again when you stop. Sometimes the low resting heartrate is as low as in the 30s. Mine is around 60 and I've seen it in the 50s. And then when I exercise, I can't exercise very hard before it's over my max of 133. So I probably am overtrained and lacking in aerobic fitness. It's pretty exciting to know I'm moving in the right direction. I love having this new goal.
    Hey SB, that's pretty exciting!! I know for the longest time, your weight hadn't seemed to budge, so that's pretty cool. I may check out Meffetone's book too--it seems to be a mamoth sized book for a decent price and I love reading new stuff--especially on fitness. It's amazing how what you were doing may have been keeping your weight on. I've been feeling lately like I should be doing more, but maybe not. I also think that low carb is the way to go. When I was lower carb, things seemed to work although when I started to monitor my food intake, that's when I saw more results. Somewhere I was reading some of your older posts and you were talking about being in limbo and I think that's where I am now. I've been cheating way too much and it shows.

I just Googled Crio Bru--I never heard of it, but it sounds pretty good. I think I will try it. And hey, did you know that there's this chocolate called http://cocopolo.com/. Someone on the Jimmy Moore show recommended it. Chocolate is a problem for me, but this one sweetened with stevia seems to be really good, although I haven't tried it yet. I have a really bad issue with sugar cravings although I just started taking this fulvic acid/humic complex thing (it's completely natural minerals amd trace minerals) and I just realized that I haven't really had any bad sugar cravings in the last few days. I had read somewhere that sugar cravings could be related to some kind of deficiency.

P.S. Which Crio Bru do you like? I'm a coffee drinker and a chocoholic, so if there's one you like, I'll probably like it too.
    Last edited by Pony500; 09-06-2012 at 07:32 PM.

I just get 85% dark chocolate or 90% if I can find it. I don't seem to have sugar cravings, or really any cravings at all, when I keep the starches low. I'm not really a cravings type of person at all, actually. My problem is outright insatiable hunger. Low carb seems to curb that miraculously.

I think Phil Maffetone's book is so cheap because it might be self-published. There are lots of typos, almost one on every page in some places. I think he's genius most of the time.

Dinner was fab tonight. I made myself zucchini noodles and my boyfriend pasta noodles. For the sauce I fried up chopped bacon, added zucchini chunks and mushrooms and then mixed in some basil pesto. Super fatty, super tasty.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony500 View Post
    I have a really bad issue with sugar cravings although I just started taking this fulvic acid/humic complex thing (it's completely natural minerals amd trace minerals) and I just realized that I haven't really had any bad sugar cravings in the last few days. I had read somewhere that sugar cravings could be related to some kind of deficiency.
    Hey Pony!

I would like to have the brand name of fulvic acid/humic complex you are using. I know what you are talking about here, but I haven't tried it yet, and would really like to know how you decided on a brand/what you are using. I do battle with the Sugar Dragon, too. Thanks!!

Page 50 of 80 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast