Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    So I bought a copy of Protein Power yesterday at the book store. There are instructions for calculating your ideal weight and other things like your required protein. I was surprised that according to the calculations, my ideal weight is 128-139lbs. So I am already just about within the range of my ideal weight. I guess 120lbs really isn't realistic. I was basing that number off weight charts I remember seeing at some point in my life that said I should be around 105lbs and I figured that would be impossible based on my body shape, so I rounded up to 120lbs. I guess I should round up to 130lbs. I will just sit around and hope that as I continue along on this way of eating that eventually my body will naturally, slowly adjust downward another 10lbs or so. I mean, I can see I still have abdominal fat, the kind inside my cavity, so that ought to disperse eventually I would think.

My breakfast today was 2 eggs with kale and onions and one piece of stew meat, a tablespoon of butter on the side and coffee with cream. I bought the stew meat wondering if it could be cooked one chunk at a time for breakfast but wasn't sure if it would be too tough. It was actually pretty good. The rest of the stew meat went into the crockpot for some beef tikka masala which I'll have for dinner.

Last night's dinner was a big huge pile of wild chanterelles that my boyfriend picked at our special mushroom tree in the forest. Delicious! It's raining today so there will be more next weekend. Last year we found enough to be able to have chanterelles for dinner once in a while all year. Hopefully it will be the same this year. I keep looking for another mushroom mother tree but I haven't found another one yet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Hey, I measured my waist this morning because yesterday I felt I was almost down another belt hole. My waist is down 1/2 inch. Saw a picture of myself. I look a lot better. Maybe I'm still progressing.

I seem to have gone firmly into the fourth belt loop hole. I started at hole 2. My white t-shirt fit today without having to pull and stretch it.

Today for breakfast I had a very small (3oz) steak, three eggs with mushrooms and butter coffee. I made the butter coffee with ghee today. I think it was better with cultured butter yesterday. Tomorrow I'll try the grass-fed raw butter I have. I think it's actually best of all just with ordinary cream, but it's fun to try new things and butter coffee is pretty wild.

I white-knuckled my way through a 24 hour fast. I ate breakfast yesterday but no lunch or dinner. I got really super hungry in the evening and went to bed hungry. It was just too late to eat. I'm making a very large breakfast this morning. I may have to skip dinner again tonight because I have to drive my bird to the vet this afternoon, which is over an hour away.

The doctor says my bird can have an operation to remove her fatty tumor since it is pressing on her cloaca. I will have to make another appointment. Meanwhile, he gave me Omega 3 supplements for the bird and he suggested berries and non-gmo backyard type fruit like guavas instead of other fruit like apples. Sweet potatoes and berries were recommended. Made me suspicious he was recommending a paleo diet for my bird. But then he said extruded corn pellets as main food source. Got me wondering if I can make my own paleo bird food without the gmo corn. I wish there was more research on what blue crown conures actually eat in the wild.

Today I'm going to take a chance there will be something edible at goodie day for me. Goodie day is when we get together for 1/2 hour at work and someone brings in breakfast. Lots of the ladies bring in delicious egg dishes. Lately it's been all muffins and yogurts. I have only made some bulletproof coffee for breakfast in hopes there will be something to eat. If there isn't, there's a cafe on campus that serves bacon and eggs.

Last night's dinner was chanterelles and seafood. The Man makes it with goat cheese and chopped up dried apricots. Too many apricots. I could feel the sugar rush.

I'm down a pound from last week despite 2 potlucks and one holiday lunch and only one easy walk taken at lunch all week.

I went for a hike today and felt really good! I also wore my pants from the PCT. I haven't been able to fit into them for a while. They fit perfectly now. After the hike we stopped at Cold Spring Tavern for tri-tip sandwiches and beer. I did have a beer (naughty me!) but I did not eat the bun on my sandwich, just the meat inside and the mustard-horseradish cream sauce. Yum!

I was thinking today that I don't feel like I'm on a diet really at all. I mean, this doesn't feel temporary. I'm happy to continue eating this way, further weight loss or not.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    SBHikes, I just read your journal and was amazed at the similarities!

Female, 5'3",
    Starting weight: 160lbs. Current weight: 140lbs. Would like to be in 120s, but around 130 will be an improvement.

I'm 5' 2.5"
    Starting weight: 68kg (149.91 lbs). Current weight: 65 kg (143.30 lbs). Would like to be 60 kg (132.27 lbs)

It's actually 140, fully clothed.

Mines 143, naked... LOL

Another week has gone by with no change. My waist remains at 31"

Again, snap! My waist is 31"

And yes, I also feel that I am not loosing weight as fast as I would like. 'No change' is exactly how I would sum up my weight loss too...
    except...
    except...

I really think it IS changing. Extremely slowly and almost imperceptibly... But the weight IS coming off, and the belly IS disappearing...

I'm not sure how long you've been doing this now. This is Day 50 for me, so I'm still in the early days, but I didn't see a massive weight loss at the beginning, and honestly if I compile my pictures into a sequence as you have done, my pictures would show just as much (or little, depending on how you look at it LOL) progress. I look like I've hardly changed.

Not that there's more than a microscopic difference between any of these pictures.

My husband too, refuses to take Paleo seriously, and downs copious amounts of carbs at every meal, including beer, sugary coffee! McDonalds, pasta! And the annoying thing is, he's slim-medium build at best!

Keep up the journal. I will be reading along, as I'm interested to see how you're doing, in comparison to me, given the similarities.

I just finished reading the Vegetarian Myth. I had been already in the middle of Derrick Jensen's Endgame, Volume 1. I have read other Derrick Jensen writings, including his column in Orion magazine and been a sort of fan. I appreciate Lierre Kieth for having a piece of the answer, and a positive one, to Derrick Jensen's questions about how to bring civilization down. Anyway, her book is full of passion and I really enjoyed it but I told my boyfriend that even though she has footnotes and writes really beautifully, he shouldn't read the book because he wouldn't like it. I also told him that if he did read the book, he should only read chapter 4, the part about nutrition. He thinks I'm nuts with my steak and egg breakfasts and putting butter on everything so I have decided not to try and convince him and I'm pretty sure that a book dripping with radicalism and emotion will only steel his resolve even further to prove me wrong about this diet (not to mention prove me wrong about my disdain toward Sierra Clubish 'shop your way to a better environment' environmentalism). Later in the day he said he still wasn't convinced about my diet but maybe he will read one of my books. I told him to read Protein Power (I only have that one and Vegetarian Myth) since it's not as passionate. Maybe I will buy him Good Calories Bad Calories for Christmas. That's probably the best one for him because he likes science writing, even subscribes to several science writing magazines. Maybe there is hope.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just watched Fathead. I wish that it hadn't stuck all that anti-government political stuff into it. The nutritional information could be presented just as well without it. As it is, it will probably retrench my cholesterol-fearing boyfriend deeper into his 8-week cholesterol cure bran muffins. Shame.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 12-20-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast