Page 27 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 27

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know early man was a resourceful dude/dudette, but who was the first person that looked at a cow's teats and thought, "Ya know, I bet if I could get that thing to stand still long enough, I could just suckle that thing myself." Same thing with chicken eggs.

So, did you ever go back to work?

Pony500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hopefully it will shift for you. I wish more weight would shift for me. It won't budge anymore. I guess this is my natural weight. Even my strength classes aren't really changing anything other than my strength. The shape of me, the definition and flabbiness doesn't change even as I feel stronger here and there.
    sbhikes, you've read some of Dr. Rosedale's work haven't you? I'm actually giving his program a try--he seems to want you to eat more nuts and avocados and things like that for the first 3 weeks and not as much saturated fats to try and get the fat burning really going. I know for me, I have been slipping up with candy and chocolate and I just read in his plan that you really need to not slip up for at least three weeks. The other thing he advocates is a little less protein. I was always under the impression that we should eat 1g per lb of body weight and after reading his plan (and he has some good reasons for not eating as much protein), he says 1g per kg of lean body mass. So I was essentially eating two and three times more protein than I needed, which I guess was just turning into sugar. My fiance said that he had always heard that protein should be 1g per kg of body weight too, so I don't know where I got the 1g per lb.

Anyway, I think for me, I have been eating way too much protein and of course drinking too much wine and beer and eating too much candy and chocolate and even honey in my tea. So I'm going to give his recommendations a shot. I was just wondering if you had read his plan or tried his method. He really recommends high fat, moderate protein and low carb and I have been avoiding nuts and haven't really been eating avocados (even though I love them), so I went out and bought a shit load of them and will try it. I have been stuck with the same 15lbs and the scale is actually moving up like a lb or two a week, which is freaking me out. I am working out once a week though and my scale does say that my muscle mass is a bit higher, but still, I want to get rid of the flab like you do.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if a change in the type of fat or decreasing your protein would help just for a few weeks to maybe flip a switch?? I have read on Jimmy Moore's site where people have decreased their protein and the weight started to come off again, so I don't know. The other day, I ate 92g of protein and I only had two meals! Plus, I have been tracking my meals now, just to see and I was surprised to see how many calories I have been eating.
    Last edited by Pony500; 05-10-2012 at 08:01 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I went back to work. First I got a job in between my two halves of hiking the PCT. It paid $17 an hour. I listened to bowhead whale calls and classified them. I could come and go as many hours as I pleased. I loved that job. So boring and tedious. My mind could wander all day. After my 2nd hike, I did that same whale job again. Then I had to find a real job so I got a job working in a borderline shady online business. I hated it but because of the trail, I had developed a certain resilience to challenging conditions that no amount of brutish behavior could penetrate. I kept looking during that time. My paycheck bounced 4 times, though, so on that 4th time I said I'm outta here. I can sit at home doing nothing and get paid nothing or I can sit and be yelled at all day and get paid nothing, which do you think I'm going to pick? The very next day I got a call from the place I work at now. I'm so lucky.

I would try the reduced protein but I find it hard to make up the difference with more fat. I eat avocados when I can, but I will never buy them because I have 8 40-foot avocado trees. The only problem with my avocados is remembering to pick them (they are quite hard to reach, too) and then eating them before they go bad. I suppose I could give it a try for next week. This week is meat week. Maybe next week can be avocado and sour cream week.

Today I'm going to have a big giant cobb salad and go bowling. It's staff appreciation week or something like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

So, the week of meat sort of worked and sort of didn't. I don't usually weigh myself very often, but it does seem that I'm holding steady at around 132-4lbs rather than 135. It's hard to say that I got any weight off from that, but my clothes do feel a little looser. I'm also not prone to large swings in my weight from water retention or anything so it could be real weight. I will wait a little longer to determine whether it's a true breaking of my months-long plateau.

The reason it sort of didn't work is that at first I had hardly any appetite and then suddenly yesterday I was really hungry. Not having any hunger always feels like I've found the holy grail. I cannot control my hunger like other ladies. When I am hungry, I must eat. Yesterday my hunger wouldn't shut up, but the idea of eating another big piece of meat was pretty abhorrent so I ate Lara bars and coconut curry over sweet potato instead.

Anyway, fatty chuck steaks seem like a good way to get in the grass-fed beef and O3 fats over breakfast. It also seems like a good way to send the 'off' signal to my appetite when it won't shut off. I think I'll keep buying and crock-potting them for myself.

It seems with my appetite I can go for a while with it under control, but I tend to eat monotonous "low reward" foods and eventually I end up really hungry, probably because my diet gets a little monotonous. So I switch to something else and feel like it's a miracle and start the whole process again. I think also that I tend to let my protein consumption get too low for my own needs if I'm not eating lots of meat, and then when I get some it's like I've turned the light on.

I think I'll keep this up for as long as my boyfriend is away. So another meat week will be forthcoming.

(P.S. It's not all meat, just mostly meat and lots of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It paid $17 an hour. I listened to bowhead whale calls and classified them.
    I read this yesterday and it didn't strike me then, but in actuality, $17 per hour is not THAT bad in my cost-of-living zone. I always think it's funny when people hear that someone lives in NYC, SF, LA, any big city, and make $100,000 a year...that's a whole lot less than someone here making say $50-60k.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I took it as you saying you were above that wage or better than that or whatever, I'm just making a statement, yo. But I am saying that the south is better than anywhere else because I can make such a statement with no intention of providing facts to prove it.

I thought $17 was a pretty good wage, actually. Even though the cost of living in Santa Barbara is really high, I have lived in my own apartment and felt plenty wealthy (even managed to pay off my student loan) on $15 an hour. Compared to other part-time jobs, $17 was more than double. My only complaint was that it was temporary and seasonal. The first year I did the job we worked for about 7 months. The following year maybe 2 or 3. The last year I did it the job only lasted 1 month. The shady online company paid me $20 for a part-time job. That was okay, too. The thing is, on a salary like that you are working for the present. At some point you realize you must work for the present and for the future because at some point, you will no longer be employable. People who make $100K and spend every penny of it are massively stupid.

Ew ew ew. Just ew. How did I ever eat this stuff? We had our annual luncheon at work today and they served us chicken Caesar wraps, roast beef sandwiches and salad. I took some of all three and just added the sandwich innards to my salad. I put the salad dressing on. Ew. The meat tasted rancid. The salad dressing tasted horrible. The fat in it sticks to your mouth and face. How did I eat that stuff in the past? All this clean food has ruined me for fitting in anymore, that's for sure.

I promptly went to the food coop to wash away the taste with extra dark chocolate and a lara bar. I'm a little worried there may be some intestinal explosions a few hours in the future.

I've had a horrible rash for a week now. I wonder if it's from taking iodine? I've been taking iodoral (iodine and iodide) for about a month now. Before that I took iodide for 8 months. So it's not new. But I have never had a rash like this that lasted so long. I've had rashes from laundry detergent. I get those really easily. But they go away much faster.

Another meat week starts this week. I started this evening with a half a chicken for dinner. Oh yeah, that's good stuff. I cooked a chuck roast, too, but it came out too tough so I've put the roast in the crock-pot. I'll take it out in a couple hours. Hopefully that will make it tender. I've got some ground buffalo, liver, thick uncured bacon, lots of eggs, heavy cream, a pound of pork butt and a couple of bananas. There's still lots of veggies in the crisper. I think I'm all set for the week.

I had some ground buffalo. It is so lean so on impulse I bought a pound of bacon thinking I could fatten it up a bit. Now I have a pound of bacon, minus one slice, and no more buffalo. I'm not a big fan of bacon. It looks like everything is going to be bacon-flavored for a while. I guess I can live with that.

Page 27 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast