Page 26 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 26

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I just got back from dropping my boyfriend off on the Pacific Crest Trail in the desert near Palm Springs. He's going to hike for about 2 weeks, maybe go about 250 miles. I hope he completes every last mile and goes even further. His last try he accidentally fell off a mountain and cut his trip short. I hope he succeeds this time.

While he is gone, there will be beef. Lots of beef.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

I buy eggs from a local egg farmer. There was one super enormous egg in the package. I cracked it open and it had two yolks! Lucky me! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

Beef and eggs (2 eggs, 3 yolks) for breakfast today. I'm burning up after a breakfast like that.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Hey I radomly read some of your journal posts 'cause you're one of my "favorite people" on here (I hope that doesn't sound wrong or anything).

But how could your insulin sensivity suffer from hiking? I'm just interested but I guess my english isn't good enough for the article you posted in your first journal post

perennialpam is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Appalachian Trail
    I have day hiked the Appalachian Trail 4 times now with women who are experienced in backpacking it. I do not know about the backpacking part of it but it sure is beautiful for a day long hike. And, yes, some of the parts are difficult without a backpack - can't imagine. But the trail magic works wonders!

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Hey I radomly read some of your journal posts 'cause you're one of my "favorite people" on here (I hope that doesn't sound wrong or anything).

But how could your insulin sensivity suffer from hiking? I'm just interested but I guess my english isn't good enough for the article you posted in your first journal post
    I think the reason it was destroyed was because I am probably prone to such things and then I went out there and ate only cookies, candy, crackers and very little meat or fat and very little that was actually real food. I ate all the time. Anytime the trail didn't go up hill I was eating. I hiked 3000 miles (overlapped several hundred miles of the trail), 25-30 miles a day most of the time. 12-14 hours of hiking every day. There is not a single study out there anywhere about what that level of exercise does to a person. There are a few studies about ultramarathoners, but those studies are done during their races and don't really measure the long-term effects. I walked a marathon or more every day 5 days a week or more with 1 or two days off in between to "rest". Those days off were spent walking all over little towns getting laundry and shopping and mailing done. There never was any real rest.

Lots of long distance hikers become fat. Lion King has hiked all the long distance trails and he's really fat when he's not hiking. One guy even wrote an article about why he thinks this happens. Why Hikers Get Fat When I read that, I was like oh, so that's what happened to me. I finally had an answer.

In my opinion, the calorie-deprived hiker becomes more carbohydrate-sensitive and insulin-sensitive over months of continuous exercise. The hiker's metabolism reverts to ancestral traits.

Carb sensitivity emerges during a thru-hike because the body can only store limited amounts of sugar, to be used for sprinting or a "hard push." In quickly depleting those reserves each day, and in restoring them with sugary snacks, the body develops a hair-trigger response to the stimulus of food.
    He recommended the Zone diet but mentioned Paleolithic several times. I looked up Paleo and tried it and it worked!

Yesterday I ate only a big piece of fatty chuck roast, 3 eggs, a mug of bone broth, a piece of 91% chocolate and a glass of wine. The power of fatty meat to make you not hungry at all. The bone broth was supposed to be lunch. I only ate it for dinner because I didn't want to throw it out.

I have some kind of rash all over my stomach and back. I think it's from laundry detergent. I should stay home from work and re-wash all my clothes but I'll probably just go in.

Ugh. Back in the day, I could eat an enormous pile of french fries. Tonight for dinner I made half a large sweet potato fried in the remainder of my duck fat leftover from Christmas. I could barely eat the whole thing. It was delicious but I guess because it was real food, it just wasn't possible to eat so much of it. It was really delicious, though.

LSUhoneybadger is offline Junior Member
    thanks for the article link. very interesting. Im going to try to start mixing in fruit and upping my fat intake just to mix things up. Maybe a potato on occasion. Or maybe the dark chocolate thing. Something has to give. Maybe Im doing too much hiking...in the gym.

Enjoy your beef this week. I was looking for raw milk yesterday with no luck.

Yeah, the raw milk thing is something I'll have to sneak up on. I'm about to the point where I'm gonna try some grilled beef heart, maybe on a kabob type deal, but raw milk? I dunno, I'll have to be wearing my big-boy britches that day.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why fear raw milk? I'm sure it's way tastier than the cooked stuff. I get raw cream sometimes and it tastes the same, only fresher.

I have been nearly all meat this week. The scale is below 135 but that could be a fluke since I weigh myself so infrequently anyway. I feel fine eating mostly meat. I did have some onions and celery root yesterday. Liver for breakfast today. I tried coconut milk in my coffee. Put it in the blender. Not as good as cream or butter. Maybe I didn't use enough.

My boyfriend is hiking the PCT right now, a large section, and he called me from the trail yesterday asking if I would send him some shoes. Trouble is, his shoes are too small, so he needed me to go to REI and buy a size larger. I went to REI and they had only one pair left of the same shoes but they were the same size! So I chose a pair of another brand and just matched up insoles to make sure they'd be a size larger. Hope that works. I think I will drive to the trail and bring them to him this weekend unless the post office is sure they can get them to him by Saturday.

Page 26 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast