Page 24 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 24

Shop Now
    Hola. Word on the street is that you're quite the hiker. I'm interested in doing something epically epic, even if it takes a while to accomplish-enter the Appalachian Trail, when starts/ends not far from where I live. Have you hiked it/plan on it?

Edit: not all at once, mind you, probably over the course of years and years
    Last edited by justyouraveragecavemen; 04-25-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: time table
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Just kind of interested, but what does your caloric intake turn out to be on a weekly basis, on average? How often do you vary your macros?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Hola. Word on the street is that you're quite the hiker. I'm interested in doing something epically epic, even if it takes a while to accomplish-enter the Appalachian Trail, when starts/ends not far from where I live. Have you hiked it/plan on it?

Edit: not all at once, mind you, probably over the course of years and years
    Hiking the entire or even half the AT is just as easy, maybe easier, than hiking a week's worth. Doing a hike like that on the AT or the PCT is more like doing a tour of small-town America on foot. There are hundreds of people all around you. It's like a linear party, a special little community. You meet all these interesting characters all with funny names (mine was Piper), there's gossip that flows up and down the trail, there's funny stuff people write in trail registers, there are places people gather each day (the shelters on the AT, the water sources on the PCT). It's really a lot of fun. As far as strenuous goes, the PCT is actually easier than the AT because the trail is very gently graded most of the time. The AT tends to go straight up and straight down, no switchbacks. But the PCT has a lot of places with 20 or 30 miles between water sources. If you get ultralight backpacking gear, it makes it way easier. Nothing's worse than carrying 60lbs of useless heavy crap on your back.

I hiked the entire PCT in two large pieces in 2008 and 2009. I picked up one last little 80 mile chunk in 2010 (I'm a big weenie when it comes to fording deadly swollen sierra creeks) and I'm planning to do the last little 20 mile bit through the Station Fire detour in a few weeks. Then I will have completely 100% hiked the entire PCT (although this 20 mile bit through the Station Fire is a detour, not the actual trail. I doubt the actual trail will ever be there again.)

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Just kind of interested, but what does your caloric intake turn out to be on a weekly basis, on average? How often do you vary your macros?
    I'm not sure what it is on a weekly basis. I did some tracking for a few weeks with myfitnesspal and tried to aim for 1200 a day. Some days it was below that (like 1000), some days above (like 1700) but when I added in my exercise (and I think doing that is a totally bogus cheat because I know that exercise doesn't burn hardly any calories at all, at least for me) I was consistently around 1100.

Nowadays I vary my macros based on want. If I am getting hungrier, I might have a high fat meal or two. If high fat meals aren't doing it, I'll have a high protein meal. And if I start looking longingly at the bananas on the counter, then I have more fruit, usually, high sugar fruits like bananas, dates and dried fruit (I'm a recovering sugar fiend.)

I'd eat more berries if they weren't so goddam expensive. $5 for a little tiny container? I ate all the berries I could grab on the PCT for free. Someday I'm going to make a special trip stopping in Nor Cal to pick all the blackberries and thimble berries I can, then up to Washington for all the huckleberries and blueberries I can possibly scrounge.

Yesterday I managed a 20 hour fast. I was very hungry around dinner time but I didn't have dinner, made it through the night and was surprisingly not hungry at all around breakfast. I had liver and eggs for breakfast yesterday and today. I feel really warm today, radiating from my solar-plexus.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hiking the entire or even half the AT is just as easy, maybe easier, than hiking a week's worth.
    Yeah, I worked with a lady whose husband was hiking it at some crazy pace of like a week or two a year (he's a teacher, goes during summer break), so he's not finishing anytime soon. I like that idea, I think for a week or 2 I could really push myself and cover some ground. I also like the idea of doing it alone, away from everything and everyone. I think I'm having a pre-mid-life crisis of some sort.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Well, I quit a very good job at a well-known software company because of a mid-life crisis. Hiking the trail was a great thing to do. No regrets. Being out there for 3 months at a time was an amazing gift. I hope to do it again someday.

If PUFA is so bad, why is pork roast and chicken with the skin on so darn delicious? Why do I feel so good after I eat it?

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If PUFA is so bad, why is pork roast and chicken with the skin on so darn delicious? Why do I feel so good after I eat it?
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Got lots of sun this weekend. I did wear sunscreen on my shoulders so I wouldn't burn but I was out there way longer than the sunscreen could possibly last. In a tanktop and shorts. So I still got a tiny little bit of a burn. This is how I'm doing Vitamin D right now. Although it looks like our seasonal fog has begun so I might have to break out the Vitamin D capsules again.

I noticed my muscles are getting really firm. I'm not getting any smaller but I'm getting more muscular. I think if I did weight lifting I have the kind of body that could win contests if I worked hard enough at it. Maybe some day I'll try that. For now I haven't found access to a weight room at a price I'm willing to pay.

My boyfriend is leaving this weekend on a 3 week backpack trip by himself. I will be able to eat all the fatty meat I want. I hope he has a good time. I think he's partly doing it to get back at me for leaving him at home to backpack by myself all the time. If I don't plan my own trips, I won't ever get to go. That was the only way I could hike for 6 months while I was still young enough to do it.

Last night I scrubbed my skin with epsom salts. Wow that left my skin feeling really nice. We have really hard water and I have really dry skin and this left my skin feeling soft and moist.

I think I will ride my bike to work today.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing anything besides fatty meat indulgence? I love having time to myself, to get projects done, or just be quiet with myself, lazing around.

Well, I hike and usually when I do it I try to get a big space between me and the other people so I can be alone. I make shoes as a hobby. I recently made these. I am really happy with them. They are very comfortable.

Today as an experiment I made a sweet potato for lunch in the microwave and ate it plain. I'm sorry, but that is not satiating at all. I'm starving.

Page 24 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast