Page 23 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 23

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I forgot to mention that fasting through dinner went just fine yesterday. I guess it worked out to about 15 hours, which isn't a long fast, but isn't bad. I slept really well, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

I got new glasses yesterday. They are just reading glasses with a little bit of astigmatism help. They are weaker than the drugstore ones I bought. My drugstore ones made it really hard to work at my computer. These new ones are better, but they aren't strong enough to do needlework and it seems like I have to hold things pretty far away to read well. But they work great for newspapers and I was able to shop in the grocery store and see what was on the shelves.

My iodorol and my porcine thyroid supplements came today. I'm going to take these and see what happens, if anything. I've heard the OTC thyroid has active hormones removed. I'm going to stop Vitamin D for a while, too. The sun is so bright now I have to wear sunglasses again. I go out in the sun every day at noon or so.

I feel really fat. My pants are tight today and I just feel fat. This bums me out because I have been good on this diet. I've been drinking less wine, too. My body is trying to go back. I don't want to go back. I want to stay thin.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My iodorol and my porcine thyroid supplements came today. I'm going to take these and see what happens, if anything. I've heard the OTC thyroid has active hormones removed. I'm going to stop Vitamin D for a while, too. The sun is so bright now I have to wear sunglasses again. I go out in the sun every day at noon or so.

I feel really fat. My pants are tight today and I just feel fat. This bums me out because I have been good on this diet. I've been drinking less wine, too. My body is trying to go back. I don't want to go back. I want to stay thin.
    My suggestion-- if you are going to start supplements to help thyroid function, do it one at a time. That way you can determine if each one is helping or hindering your thyroid function. If you start both at the same time and have side effects you wont know which one is at fault.

If I were to pick which one to go with first, absent test results to guide, I would probably choose the iodoral. And, even with that,I'd start very low and increase slowly.

I also understand the "feeling fat" issue.. You are 47 and most likely perimenopausal. This can be at play in regards to everything you are experiencing and feeling.

I suggest extensive thyroid, female hormone, vitamin D, iron, blood sugar, inflammation, testing. If everything is "optimal" then you at least have numbers to "shoot for" if/when things deteriorate.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Earlier this month I was 'feeling fat'. Got my period unexpectedly the next day, and after further thought, I realized that maybe I was noticing bloating for the first time. I have always been so fat that fluctuations aren't that noticable. I decided to take it as proof that I am getting thin enough that a monthly bloat will show up, and not just be lost in the general vastness of my form: a good thing, not a bad one. Maybe it is the same for you?

I have no idea about my period anymore. I had a hysterectomy in 2005. I had fibroids. I still have ovaries. I never was one to keep track of my period before, so there is no hope now.

Went hiking today. Dinner was random stuff. 2 avocados with salsa, 3 dates, some liver pate, red wine and dark chocolate.

Hey, you gonna be at Kickoff next week?
    Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
    Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
    Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

Probably not. It's a 5.5 hour drive and I don't want to use time off to go there. I'm saving my time off to hike a couple weeks on the CDT this summer. We'll really miss seeing the movies on Saturday night. That's my boyfriend's and my favorite event. But it's too much driving. Are you hiking the PCT?

I cooked a giant steak for dinner. My boyfriend said it was the best steak he ever had. I followed the instructions here:
    Tiny Urban Kitchen: Oven to Pan Seared Prime Ribeye Steaks

Since my steak was so huge (over a pound with the bone still attached) I set my oven probe to 105 degrees and seared each side for 4 minutes and still got a rare steak. But man was it delicious and tender and not raw-tasting at all. I'm so happy because that steak cost me $25 so I didn't want to ruin it.

Too much steak for dinner. Couldn't eat any breakfast this morning and now I have that "my stomach is stretched" hunger. I want to go for a run but it's freezing ass cold out there with drippy wet fog. I'm dreading that initial 20 minutes of being freezing cold before I finally warm up. I hate Santa Barbara. The fog season comes earlier and earlier. Used to start in June and end in August when I was a kid. Now it starts in April and doesn't let up until November or so. So gloomy and cold.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just ate a Lara bar that had peanut butter in it. I love peanut butter. I know you aren't supposed to eat it, but I didn't have my reading glasses when I was in the store so I couldn't read the ingredients. I just hoped that was plain dates and figs or something, but I was wrong.

I think my weight is finally on a downward trend again. I am not one to experiment with a single thing all at once. These are my most recent fiddlings over the last week and a half:
    - ran out of chocolate
    - had run out of wine but we have it again
    - being stricter about not eating between meals
    - a little bit of fasting, nothing too crazy. I think the max was 19 hours.
    - got in a good hike this weekend. Got in a good run on Monday (but I hurt my calves again.)
    - started taking Iodoral (which is iodine and iodide) instead of just iodide
    - started taking OTC dessicated thyroid supplements (2 each evening)

I went to my exercise class at lunch today and I swear afterwards my pants felt like they were falling off. I mean, I noticed a difference before the class vs after. I actually checked to make sure I buttoned them. I hope things really are on the move again.

Page 23 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast