Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sadly I have gained weight in the past week. I'm back to where I was a month ago. Not that there's more than a microscopic difference between any of these pictures. Mainly, the weight that has returned is in my belly. This sucks.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

So yesterday was the company Christmas party at my partner's company. We both hiked 18 miles yesterday before the party so were were really tired and really hungry. I totally ate way too much food and I totally went against my diet by eating dessert and drinking a lot of red wine. I was stuffed.

I did my best to estimate using the online USDA food calculator I found. I figure this calculator is as good as any since they all use the same database, although it keeps crashing all of a sudden. I really had to do a lot of guessing and substituting items that came close. It was a fancy party and they came round with tiny little appetizers made of god knows what and waiters would come by and refill your fancy wine.

The 2nd column is mine and the last column is recommended.

I think the cholesterol outcome is pretty funny. That's a heck of a lot of cholesterol.

Code:
    Food Energy/Total Calories (kcals) 	2790 	2658
    Protein (gm) 	                                221 	46
    Carbohydrate (gm) 	                        54	130
    Total Fiber (gm) 	                                11	25
    Total Fat (gm) 	                                159.5 	62 - 108.5
    Saturated Fat (gm) 	                        62.6 	< 31
    Cholesterol (mg) 	                        1066 	< 300

Breakfast today was half a piece of beef liver, half a patty of chorizo, two eggs, a little bit of onion and half a tomato, all cooked in butter. Coffee with cream, two mugs.

I was surprised by the liver. It was really good. I will definitely get more liver. I can see big hunks of liver in my future.

I think for dinner I'll make steak and vegetables for me and either frozen pizza or frozen tamales for The Man. He doesn't like my diet. He ate cinnamon swirl bread with almond butter and fruit for breakfast. That's how he rolls.

Today's intake:
    53% protein, 11% carbs, 36% fat

Code:
    Nutrient	Your Intake	Recommendation or Acceptable Range
    Food Energy/Total Calories (kcals)	1221	1849
    Protein (gm)	111  	46
    Carbohydrate (gm)	24	130
    Total Fiber (gm)	5	25
    Total Fat (gm)	76.3 	27.1 - 47.5

Guh, your breakfast is so much more superior to the Man's breakfast. It's even far superior to mine, which is measly eggs and bacon. How do you find the taste of liver in the morning? It doesn't have a "non-breakfasty" taste to it? I have to see if this could possibly be a part of my future too!
    "There is a cruelty in life which we must accept with stoicism as the inevitable." -Mizora

Code:
    Nutrient 	Your Intake 	Recommendation
    Food Energy/Total Calories (kcals) 	1534 	1849
    Protein (gm) 	97 	46
    Carbohydrate (gm) 	28	130
    Total Fiber (gm) 	6	25
    Total Fat (gm) 	116.9 	34.1 - 59.6
    40% protein, 12% carbs, 48% fat

I can't seem to get this right. Always too much protein, too little fat.

Quote Originally Posted by zoltankemeny View Post
    Guh, your breakfast is so much more superior to the Man's breakfast. It's even far superior to mine, which is measly eggs and bacon. How do you find the taste of liver in the morning? It doesn't have a "non-breakfasty" taste to it? I have to see if this could possibly be a part of my future too!
    I really like liver. But since it was mixed with chorizo, it made the chorizo less spicy and the liver less livery. It's a good way to make both items taste better. I get really tired of bacon really quickly.

I am thinking that I'm taking in too much protein. On this forum people say "more meat!" On another forum Jimmy Moore said "WAY too much protein." I'm going to try to eat less protein and more fat. So today's breakfast was a piece of bacon, two eggs and an avocado. On the side I added a big hunk of butter and ate a bit of cold butter with each bite of the eggs. I totalled this up in the USDA calculator and it was 700 calories or so and still only 60% fat. Sheesh. What do I have to do to eat enough fat. Eat a whole stick of butter?

Turns out I've been doing the calculating all wrong. I was measuring the percentages by weight, not by calories. So it looks like I'm probably okay in my ratios afterall.

I went to a potluck last night. I have no idea how to enter foods from a potluck. I don't even know what some of the stuff I ate was. I find tracking calories and ratios only possible if you eat really simple, measurable foods that aren't dressed up with fancy ingredients. Casseroles, elaborate recipes, meals with lots of items and things like appetizers are impossible to measure. So I don't bother worrying about it. I know if I've totally overdone it so why beat myself up with measuring anyway.

I don't think I did too badly at the potluck. I did get some casseroles with macaroni and corn tortillas and beans, so I picked out the meat. I almost ate a bean soup and then remembered oh yeah, beans are out, so I didn't eat it. There wasn't much I could eat, mostly ham and pesto chicken and the duck liver pate and brie I brought, some olives and ceasar salad which probably had cheap veggie oil (as probably did the pesto chicken) but who cares? I did as well as I could. I know I overdid it on the wine, though.

Another week has gone by with no change. My waist remains at 31". I guess that overweight is what I'm destined to be. I don't want to go back to being hungry and eating dry salads and running 4 miles a day. I much prefer eating food that keeps me from being hungry and engaging in daily activities that I enjoy. I like being able to eat breakfast and then not think about food for 8 hours. I like being able to go to a party, have my plate and then focus on the party and the people and not even care about the desserts or the rest of the foods sitting there. I wish I could be thinner but it looks like it's just not in the cards for me.

P.S. I took a chance and stepped on the scale. I have only been guessing my weight to be 150. It's actually 140, fully clothed. Maybe this is as good as it gets for me and maybe it's not too bad. This is what I score on a BMI calculator:
    BMI: 24.9 - healthy
    Waist-to-height ratio: 49.2 A tad high
    Body fat: 28.9% A tad high
    BMR: 1345 calories/day
    Ideal weight: 131lbs

My BMI is where it almost always has been most of my life. I don't have a healthy waist-to-height ratio, but honestly I've always been shaped like a tree-trunk, not a pear or an apple. My scores on most things are not perfect but I'm not at any level that indicates I'll die of obesity-related illnesses. I can do everything I want to do except look good in a bathing suit.

Perhaps expecting anything better than what I am is just vanity at my age. Maybe the goal of this diet is simply to gain a healthier relationship to food, eating and my body and just forget about looking a certain way. I guess I'm starting to come to terms with myself. If a year later I'm the same, then I will know for sure this is what nature intends for me. If a year later I am thinner, well then yay, that's great. I have given up on believing that I'll ever be thinner, though.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 12-11-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast