Page 19 of 80 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 19

vanessa40 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This My Fitness Pal app I downloaded is crazy. It tells me to reach my (impossible) goal of 115lbs I must eat 1200 calories a day. If I eat less than that, it warns me I'm in starvation mode and I'll ruin my metabolism and won't lose weight. If I eat more than 1200 calories it gives me cheery advice that if I ate like this every day in 5 months I'd weigh like 2lbs less. Yeah, that's going to work out great.

Today it's only 2pm and I've already exceeded my daily allotment of 1200 calories. Of course, if I wanted to lose weight, the only message this app sends to me is I better start up the cardio like crazy. In fact, if I put in more cardio than calories there is no warning about starvation mode or anything.

Silly CO/CI app. The useful thing is to see the macros and get a general idea of daily calories just to make sure I'm staying on target and honest.

I use to have that app and it drove me crazy. I did like how it showed you your mcro's
    To Err Is Human
    To Forgive Is Canine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94923.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SW~220
    CW~136
    GW-125

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, the app isn't all bad. Just the little assumptions. It's actually helping me I think. I find it actually quite hard to stay under my 1200 calorie a day allotment (which is actually not enough to lose weight, but some built-in minimum) even putting in my daily exercise. But I have stayed below. According to the app, I should have lost a pound these last 2 weeks. But I haven't. Boo.

I did notice that I don't get enough protein. It felt like I ate a lot of meat every day. I eat meat for breakfast and meat for dinner. But if my lean body mass is 100lbs and the formulas give me a range between 80-100grams a day, I'm falling short almost every day. Time to eat more meat and see what happens. Maybe I will be less hungry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    I've personally noticed a correlation between days when my first meal consists of something very high in protein and moderate in fat and not being hungry again until much later for the second meal. The exception is if the first meal contains either salt or pork (no idea why). Both of those make me HUNGRY no matter what quantity is consumed. No idea why
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Yes, the high protein breakfast works wonders. I had always hated egg breakfasts in the past, like when you go out. They always made me both stuffed and hungry and lethargic all day at the same time. It turns out the problem is the home fries and biscuits or toast and jam sides. Leave those out (or only have small amount of home fries) and suddenly the appetite suppressing effect is quite miraculous, as is the energetic and feel-good effect. Yay!

So last night instead of fasting, I ate dinner of a can of tuna with a little mayo and mustard and melted cheese. I'm still not hungry this morning.

My new test is to just forget all about the silly calorie tracking and eat with gusto as much protein-rich foods as I feel like, calories be damned. My hope is that I will experience:
    a) reduced appetite
    b) feel warmer
    c) maybe be less sore from exercise

If there are body composition changes, too, well all the better. But reducing calories and sitting around hungry and cold ain't working.

But first: Backpacking. Yay! Gonna live in nature for a weekend.

Good luck with your test. I have been feeling better since giving up my oats in the morning for my protein
    To Err Is Human
    To Forgive Is Canine

My Journal

SW~220
    CW~136
    GW-125

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    Have a great time! And good on you for upping the protein and fat. Calorie counting sucks!
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious: What's your running regimen like? How long, how hard and how often do you go out?
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I've only just resumed running. I go out a 2-3 times a week if I feel like it. My route is mostly flat on a trail that overlooks the beach and the lagoon at UC Santa Barbara. It's gorgeous. Who wouldn't want to run here?

I just got back from my backpacking trip. Here's a picture of the food I brought:

I didn't eat all of it. I brought back 3 of the pemmican bars and didn't eat any of the jerky. The only carbs in that pile are date/walnut and fig/almond bars, unless you want to count the little bit in the nuts and chocolate. I didn't eat any of the fig bar and only a little of the date bar with some of that orange cheese. That cheese is so orange because it is French Mimolette which they dye a hideous orange with anatto to distinguish it from Edam cheese. My one and only cooked meal was the top left item which is coconut manna with curry spices and tuna. It was pretty good.

I had such good energy on this trip. We did some trail work and I never got tired. I never had blood sugar spikes or energy spikes like in the past. I could work and hike all day without ever being tired. Hills never bothered me. This way of eating works amazingly well for backpacking. I've just got to learn to make my own pemmican. I swear it's the best food every for even energy. It just sucks the US Wellness stuff has to be refrigerated.

It poured rain the 2nd day and my rain gear was not very good so I ended up soaking wet and freezing cold. I got hypothermia. The only way to warm up was to be naked in my sleeping bag. I like to be warm so I brought two sleeping bags so I warmed up after a while. It was pretty miserable there for a while, though, shivering uncontrollably and not very capable of using my hands. A big adventure. Living on the edge. Feeling alive so close to death. Ha ha. Maybe I exaggerate a little.

The food looks yummy. I love walnuts and figs. I get cold so easy i would have died. Hope you are feeling better today
    To Err Is Human
    To Forgive Is Canine

My Journal

SW~220
    CW~136
    GW-125

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I ate that whole block of cheese and that whole block of date/walnut bar yesterday then had a big sweet potato for dinner and was still in ketosis today. I guess the hike and getting hypothermia took a lot out of me.

I haven't tracked anything in my fitness pal now for a couple of days. I'm not sure if I want to start it up again. I think I get too freaked out by the calories. I think I should ignore what it tells me and eat way more calories, mostly way more meat. I feel really good when I eat a big breakfast of a half pound of grass-fed meat plus a couple of pastured eggs and an avocado. That's a lot of calories and my fitness pal would have me freaking out about having eaten more than half my day's worth on a single meal. I think they are wrong about calories and that it would be better if I ate far more than what they say. But that big red negative number would make me feel bad. I can't figure out what to do because if I don't track, how will I know if I'm doing it the way I want to test. But if I do track, how do I keep myself from feeling bad about eating "too many" calories?

Page 19 of 80 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast