Page 17 of 80 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 17

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I forgot a few things in my calorie log for yesterday. I added them and my calories were over 1400. That's over the CICO total my little fitness tracker app says I should get each day (they say 1200 if I want to lose a pound a week.)

ItsTheWooo says that on low carb she can eat way way over her base metabolic calories and lose weight/stay skinny (and she is way skinnier than I think would ever be possible for me). She says: "My RMR was measured at a ridiculous 1000-1100 calories (yes sthat bad!) yet I am losing body fat eating over 1800 calories". She doesn't hardly exercise at all. That's pretty amazing.

If I hold steady at 135lbs at 100g of carbs a day and 1000-1500 calories, and I exercise an hour a day most days, it would be interesting to see what happens if I raise calories to 1800 and go super low carb. Would I have similar results to her?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

This My Fitness Pal app I downloaded is crazy. It tells me to reach my (impossible) goal of 115lbs I must eat 1200 calories a day. If I eat less than that, it warns me I'm in starvation mode and I'll ruin my metabolism and won't lose weight. If I eat more than 1200 calories it gives me cheery advice that if I ate like this every day in 5 months I'd weigh like 2lbs less. Yeah, that's going to work out great.

Today it's only 2pm and I've already exceeded my daily allotment of 1200 calories. Of course, if I wanted to lose weight, the only message this app sends to me is I better start up the cardio like crazy. In fact, if I put in more cardio than calories there is no warning about starvation mode or anything.

Silly CO/CI app. The useful thing is to see the macros and get a general idea of daily calories just to make sure I'm staying on target and honest.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    We need a primal/paleo app, to say things like 'have you tried more fat?', 'don't forget to make time to play in the sun', and 'what about an IF?'. Better yet, 'take a 20% day, and forget about punching numbers into me for a while. Just Grok it!'.

Today's macros:
    C/F/P
    11/75/14

I was still really hungry all day.

snowflake67 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    We need a primal/paleo app, to say things like 'have you tried more fat?', 'don't forget to make time to play in the sun', and 'what about an IF?'. Better yet, 'take a 20% day, and forget about punching numbers into me for a while. Just Grok it!'.
    I agree!! The last two weeks for me has been very stressful at work, leaving me now time/energy to work out! Nor have I had the energy (mental) to try to tweek things that I'm doing. I finally broke the 200 lb mark, but after yesterday's "Girl's Day" with my 10 year old I would have loved a message pop up that said, 20% day or play day, or don't be so hard on your self day!

Anyway, just though it a great suggestion!!

Have a great day!
    Jo Anne

If I ever get around to taking the iPhone development class maybe I'll write such an app. Maybe I can even figure it out on my own.

Yesterday I went jogging for about an hour. I haven't jogged since September. I am so sore today I can barely move! The weather has alternated between sun with clouds and rain with snow in the mountains and lots of wind. For some reason weather like that makes me want to go out for a jog. Maybe I should resume my jogging career that I quit in September when my low carb electrolyte issues and lack of keto-adaptation forced me to quit.

I felt a lot better today. Hunger under control. I think with only 10-15lbs to go my shrunken fat cells are revolting against me. I'll try the hunger-quelling effects of lower carb for a while with carb spiked days so I don't get too mellow and try to get more exercise instead of fasting for calorie optimization.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yesterday I went jogging for about an hour. I haven't jogged since September. I am so sore today I can barely move! The weather has alternated between sun with clouds and rain with snow in the mountains and lots of wind. For some reason weather like that makes me want to go out for a jog. Maybe I should resume my jogging career that I quit in September when my low carb electrolyte issues and lack of keto-adaptation forced me to quit.
    I've started too, but there's no way I can do an hour. The best I can do right now is 20 minutes running/walking.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think with only 10-15lbs to go my shrunken fat cells are revolting against me.
    Me too.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Yesterday's macros despite having a little ice cream for dessert and a beer and a half:
    C/F/P
    20/52/28

What a difference a few days of low carb makes! Wow! I had been eating moderate carb for quite some time but the last few days my carbs have been really low and I am feeling like a human again instead of a giant stomach and mouth. I've been sitting all morning in a room that has two extra dark chocolate bars, a Lara bar and some canned fish and I forgot any of it was here. Didn't notice until I changed my clothes to go for a jog and saw the stuff on my desk. I much prefer this level of appetite control over white-knuckling it on higher carb.

Not only that, but I feel happy again, energetic, clear-headed and not rattled by my usual daily caffeine.

Here's my carb grams (total including fiber):
    M 44 - was fasting, felt pretty good
    T 91g - was fasting, could have eaten my arm
    W 107g - tried to fast but failed, felt horrible
    Th 91g - no more fasting
    F 52g - felt a little better
    S 49 - felt better
    S 65 - felt normal
    M - 0 so far - feel totally normal (don't worry, I'll eat carbs at dinner.)

I went for a jog at lunch, which devolved into a walk eventually. Managed to do almost an hour. Felt great except I'm so sore from jogging the other day. I wore my VFFs. I have never run in them before. They worked fine. All my shoes are zero-drop so I'm used to that. The thing I don't much like about VFFs is feeling all the little stones and how they get sweaty inside and eventually give me blisters on my heel.

So, day 4 on low carb and I am feeling back to normal. Thank god I'm not permanently broken.

Today I ate my breakfast at 10am -- ground grass-fed beef, leftover butternut squash and chard. I could probably have pushed it ahead further. Today's fast from 7pm last night until 10am today was a 15 hour intermittent fast. It's good to have my appetite in check once again.

I think I will try Thursday as my carb refeed day. I have a half butternut squash and some sweet potatoes. I can pick up apples and bananas at the store. Make some fish and salad for dinner perhaps. Should be interesting.

I have to say again that today has been another day of feeling great. I guess I am just the opposite of everybody around here. Great mood, lots of energy, appetite control, my workout class felt fun, I wanted to go jogging with all my energy (but didn't). Oh well. I will become hated around here. My n=1 experience doesn't support the anecdotal evidence in favor of carbs around here. The science doesn't support all the pro-carb talk around here either, but popularity and bandwagons are kinda more important around here than actual science.

Page 17 of 80 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast