Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sbhikes) page 12

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh no! Beware the slippery slope. I would say the dates and the Lara bars are probably the biggest culprits. Thanks for charting into that territory, though. Sometimes I think I should mix it up every now and then with a healthy potato but nothing more than that. I'll probably do it at some point for the next weight loss plateau, but not this one.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I can handle a small bit of sweet potato infrequently. Daily sweet potatoes tasted like candy to me. Dates are like real candy, natures candy. I'm sorry but it doesn't make me feel better, doesn't boost anything for me, to eat more carbs. I'm sure I'm metabolically deranged. I hiked the goddamn Pacific Crest Trail eating nothing but cookies, candy and crackers with pasta and cheese for dinner. I hiked 30 miles a day for 3 months, two years in a row. After that, my metabolism was completely broken. I was so hungry all the time. It took a year after the hike to not feel starving all the time. I couldn't even exercise because that would make me hungry. When I'm low carb, I'm not hungry. I'm strong. I'm happy. I'm not obese but I am pretty metabolically messed up.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Dang these Pemmican bars really grow on you. Today I tested leaving it out of refrigeration for 5 hours to see if they still taste good unrefrigerated. They get pretty soft but are delicious. I'm hoping to do an overnight backpack trip soon and I'll bring the pemmican with me. It might actually be worth it to learn to make pemmican so that refrigeration isn't necessary for long-term storage.

Going low-carb backpacking today with my pemmican bars and a few other items. I'm bringing some dried berries to see if they go well with the pemmican. I have been looking into if it's possible to buy pre-pulverized jerky or biltong. You can buy pulverized biltong but it is very expensive. It could be worth it for my longer backpack this summer to spend the money and make homemade pemmican that's actually stable without refrigeration.

I've been taking a lower dose of iodine because people were scaring me in the iodine thread. I've decided to go back to my high dose. I took two 12.5 mg iodide tablets before bed and woke up early in the morning feeling all warm inside. I miss that feeling. It went away when I both increased my carbs and reduced my iodine. A low-carb diet is richer in vitamins for me, which gives me a warm glowing feeling, and the iodine probably really does help with my thyroid even though doctors say there's nothing wrong with my thyroid. They've always suspected but never found anything wrong.

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    I think you are really on the right track now. I was wondering about all of the carbs you were eating. Those carb guys are not "women of a certain age". What works for them is not what works for us. Caffeine and carbs make me STARVING!!! IF is super easy if I restrict those sweet carbs!
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cave Woman View Post
    I think you are really on the right track now. I was wondering about all of the carbs you were eating. Those carb guys are not "women of a certain age". What works for them is not what works for us. Caffeine and carbs make me STARVING!!! IF is super easy if I restrict those sweet carbs!
    Yeah, a sweet potato every day is too much for middle-aged me. Those dude bros have to stop insisting everyone's body works just like theirs. Being young and male they have absolutely no idea.

My backpack trip was awesome. I think I had a touch of the low-carb flu going in. I didn't feel quite as strong as usual. But we hiked fairly slow because there was a work crew full of friends so we stopped to talk a lot along the way. We also hiked beyond the work crew into the damaged trail where the going was slow. You don't need much explosive energy to pick your way through rocks slides and tree fall. That's slow going and really sucks.

I brought two sleeping quilts and was so toasty at night. Just as warm as sleeping at home. What luxury! I slept inside one quilt and draped the other cross-wise on top. No drafts as I rolled over. The two quilts are still very light, coming in at about 2lbs for the both of them. I like to backpack ultralight. My pack was super light this time, less than 10lbs.

My low-carb dinner was atrocious. But I ate it anyway. I brought an avocado and made coconut curry with creamed coconut and spices. I put too much water in it so it was more like coconut soup. I had hoped to find some wild edible greens to put in my curry but there weren't enough growing near where we camped to make it worthwhile. I put a pemmican bar in my curry and it just turned it into a fat bomb with bits of ground meat at the bottom. It's not like it tasted bad, but I feared the huge amount of fat and calories would make me sick. In the end, I think it actually did me some good. I could smell the ketones in my urine the next day.

Other than my atrocious coconut pemmican soup, I had pemmican bars, macadamias and brazil nuts to eat. These foods seemed to serve me well but I was wishing I had more salt. I had really good energy the second day. We hiked about 13 miles total the second day, bringing our backpacks with us up the trail to explore the condition of the trail for future hikes, then hiking really fast 8.5 miles to our car starting at 2:30. We got back to the car by 5:30. My feet hurt from pounding hard to go fast. I don't think wearing barefoot shoes is ever going to beat that out of me. I will always pound hard to hike fast.

Okay you spammers copy this sentence: today is my birthday. Now I've got you, you lousy spammers. Ha. My thoughtful boyfriend gave me a thermos to bring my lunch and because he goes overboard (you lousy spammers quit stealing my sentences) he also got me a bento lunch kit plus (quit stealing my sentences you spammers) he also gave me a box full of chocolate, tanka bars, electrolyte tablets and other odds and ends for hiking and a low carb birthday card with a picture of a plate of eggs with birthday candles in it.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    LOL!!

(but they won't use it, they'll pick a highly emotional, sensitive, post - at least that's what they tend to do to me )

Happy Birthday!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthday! It sounds like you got just the perfect gift! Enjoy your day, your week, your month, your year !
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Thank you! My birthday was very lamby. I had no eggs so I ate lamb chops for breakfast. Something about lamb tastes sort of odd to me. I put bone broth with mushrooms into my thermos for lunch and it was so hot I burnt my tongue. It's a good thermos. I went out to dinner to a gourmet restaurant and what did I order? Lamb and mushrooms! It was delicious. I also had mussels, my favorite seafood. My boyfriend had squab. That was amazing, too. I wish I could cook like that. Wow! Pino Noir wine, too, and I ordered dessert. Some kind of chestnut mouse with meringue pastry top and chocolate with apricot glaze. Tasted really chocolaty even though it wasn't brown. Delicious but I could eat only half and honestly, the lamb and chanterelles and green beans were better. Except for the sugar in the dessert, I think it was all primal fare, proof that not only is primal healthier but it's also gourmet. My dinner alone was about $80. Yikes!

Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast