Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs, and other meats, can I cook on Sunday for the whole week? page

HelloMeteor is offline Member

Eggs, and other meats, can I cook on Sunday for the whole week?

Shop Now
    See subject.

Can I cook a bunch of scrambled eggs and meat on Sunday and use it throughout the week?

Even if 6 days is a bit old, isn't that still a lot better than eating something bad because I don't have anything prepared?

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I boil a dozen eggs every other day, as well as cook chicken breasts and steaks, burger, pattys or meat balls, etc. all ahead of time. You can wrap up the meat in portions, and freeze it, and it's quick to defrost and warm up. Not too sure I would do scrambled eggs for a week ... just my opinion on that.
    Or make up some soup, stew or chili ... they are always better after a day or so anyway.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    I boil a dozen eggs every other day, as well as cook chicken breasts and steaks, burger, pattys or meat balls, etc. all ahead of time. You can wrap up the meat in portions, and freeze it, and it's quick to defrost and warm up. Not too sure I would do scrambled eggs for a week ... just my opinion on that.
    Or make up some soup, stew or chili ... they are always better after a day or so anyway.
    Yeah, I was slightly worried about the eggs. I can try it, and see I suppose. I'm sure I'll survive.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I do cooking for the work week on Sunday, finishing up what I cooked by Friday usually. I'd be wary of eating meat that had been in the fridge much longer than 5 days though. If I wanted it to last all week, I'd freeze a few potions like Orannhawk suggested. Ditto on the scrambled eggs. They don't reheat well. And they cook so quickly that it doesn't really save you much time to pre-cook them.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I do cooking for the work week on Sunday, finishing up what I cooked by Friday usually. I'd be wary of eating meat that had been in the fridge much longer than 5 days though. If I wanted it to last all week, I'd freeze a few potions like Orannhawk suggested. Ditto on the scrambled eggs. They don't reheat well. And they cook so quickly that it doesn't really save you much time to pre-cook them.
    I've never tried reheating them. But I just was hoping I could get away with being that lazy.

What about veggies. If I cook broccoli on Sunday, will it still be decent on Friday?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloMeteor View Post
    What about veggies. If I cook broccoli on Sunday, will it still be decent on Friday?
    In my experience that would be iffy. If it's stored well and kept at a good temperature, maybe. See if it passes the sniff test.

This website is a good guide: StillTasty: Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide - Save Money, Eat Better, Help The Environment

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I usually cook veggies like broccoli and cauliflower (steamed mostly) at the weekend for the first half of the week and again part way through the week. Leafy greens etc. - if I'm going to cook them it's usually a light steam or saute in some kind of fat for a minute or two, so I just cook those as I go.

If I roast a big batch of veggies at the weekend they'll normally last all week, and big pots of meat stew etc. are good for more than a week.

But then I reheat most of my meals in a microwave throughout the week, which probably isn't the best but....
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I find that cooked meat will easily keep for a week (except for fish). I use the following test on all food I'm dubious about.

1) Look at it. Is it mouldy? Slimy? Just wrong? Don't eat it
    2) Sniff it. Does it smell sour? Disgusting? Foul or funky? Don't eat it
    3) Taste it. Does it taste sour? Mouldy? Gross? Don't eat it

Generally at the first step it doesn't pass you can just throw it away. But if you really aren't sure then you can continue.

If you are concerned then throwing things in the freezer in individual serving size packages is probably the best (as long as you actually get them out and eat them!)
    Eggs I would only store if you like to eat them cold. Re heating them takes about the same time as cooking them and they taste better fresh! But the cold ones will keep just fine. Not likely to kill you!
    Veggies keep for a few days once cooked but cooking them 2 times a week works better. Or even better yet just wash/cut/prep them and store them raw but ready and then all you have to do is throw them in a pan and cook them!

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Curried meats seem to last longer. We keep fish curries for up to a couple of weeks and they last ok.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast