Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempting Lean Gains, recovery trouble page

activia is offline Senior Member

Attempting Lean Gains, recovery trouble

Hi All,

So I'm about at 25% body fat and trying to get down around 20%. I've been eating prmal for 6 months, IF, cutting out fruit, no nuts, and almost no dairy but I was stuck at a 2 month plateau dispite my efforts and dispite a calorie deficit on top of it. So I wanted to shake it up and try the lean gains approach. I've increased my carbs/lowered fat on lifting days and eat normal primal which for me is 50-60% fat, 30% protein, 15% fat.. around 100g of protein, 80g of fat, 50g of carbs(fiburous veggies).. on lifting days I'm doing 120g of protein, 30g of fat, 140g of carbs (all starchy rice/sweet potato/banana/berries). I had trouble getting more carbs in without adding fat.. so I was still in a little bit of a calorie deficit. I'm fasting 14-16 hours everyday. I'm lifting heavy, as heavy as I can for 5 reps, 3 sets or pullups/chinups/deadlifts/bench press. But my recovery is suffering... and I haven't lost any weight yet on top of it (only on week 2). The more I use my legs the more tired I get. I'm crashing pretty hard. I'm on day 3 of recovery from my last lifting session. Yesterday I crashed so hard after I ate all the fruit in the house (1 grapefruit, 1 cup of berries with whey protein) and was still tired I had 3 tbls of splenda brown sugar (I know I know) but it worked I had energy again, and not a sugar high either. Today I'm feeling tired again. I'm suffering also with the rice during my refeeds, it's making me bloated/gassy. . I've only had 2 lifting sessions so far! 4 days rest in between them. I'm not sure what I should do..up my carb intake during recovery? Skip the fasting while my body adjusts? I'm sure its going to get easier, I think I'm shocking my body right now as I havent lifted heavy in awhile. I wish I was at least seeing weight loss thru all this suffering!

Here is my nutrition log: activia - DailyBurn Tracker

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    How much sleep are you getting?
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

plenty 8-9 hours. I am more tired the more I use my tired muscles... like as soon as I went our raking for 30 min I came in and was ready to nap... I didnt want to move anymore and lost all motivation to do anything. Even a little walking is tiring me out. Coupled with a lot of soreness/although today, day 3 of recovery, the soreness is almost gone.

Yesterday I also got that terrible sugar craving which I haven't had in months! My body was screaming for it, and as soon as I soothed that craving I felt better. Although I haven't really had any cravings today.

my first guess is your calorie deficit could be the culprit. Do you have calorie goals? Typically when I IF, on lifting days, I'm 20% over and on rest days I'm sometimes 20% under but it really varies. I don't really pay attention to macro nutrient ratios but I'm taking a pretty relaxed approach to leangains but still steadily lose weight (about 1lbs-2lbs a week) while my strength goes up.

I wouldn't stress over the stalled weight loss if you're just started the protocol 2 weeks ago. If you came from low carbs (your first 6 months before starting leangains) and are now taking in more carbs, you might be retaining a little more more water weight. For me, 2lbs of whole sweet potatoes can puff me up by as much as 8lbs in one week. From what I read, starch loves to hang on to water.

The sugar craving happened to both me and my girlfriend which we remedied by adding more safe starches or upping fat on rest days or both.

Are you working out fasted?

No I'm not..this is what I ate on Friday when I lifted.. I was trying to get in as much food as possible I usually eat 2 meals but this particular day I ate every 1-2 hours from 10am - 7pm.
    1 Sweet potato/ 2 cups of broccoli/.5lb chicken breast split into 3 mini meals 10am/noon/2pm (I got really hungry so broke my fast a little early). Then I had a banana 30 min before lifting, then a scoop of whey protein with 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries 30 min after lifting. Then an hour later I had a sweet potato with cinnamon. Then I had dinner which was .5lb salmon, 2 cups of rice, 1/2 sweet onions, 2 cups of spinach an hour later. I then had terrible bloating/gas/stomach pain for 4 hours after all that rice. Total calories: 1300

So you think I should just eat more no matter the macros even if I go over my fat quota? And eat starches on rest days?

I understand the water weight thing but I weighed myself after 4 days straight of low carb/no starches..the water weight would have been gone by this point and I did not lose any weight.

If you haven't lifted in a while, you'll retain more water as well.

If you're feeling tired and hungry, I would up the carbs on workout days first and/or scale back on the lifts. On rest days, you don't have to go zero carbs but I would up the fat and protein.

Also, I wouldn't look at the scale especially checking more than once a week or even once a month.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Are you drinking enough water?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    100g of protein, 80g of fat, 50g of carbs(fiburous veggies).. on lifting days I'm doing 120g of protein, 30g of fat, 140g of carbs (all starchy rice/sweet potato/banana/berries).
    You're not eating enough.
    Rest day calories: 400+720+200=1320
    Work day calories: 480+270+560=1310

Don't know how tall you are, if you're male or female, but you should probably be eating at least 1500 or rest days, a lot more than that on work days. Leangains says you should be really focusing on carbs on work days, 140 is not enough. I'd guess 200 is a bare minimum (and quite easy). And it's lower fat, not low-fat; 30g is way too little. Just eat more all around, especially during work days.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast