Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've become... a salad shooter. page

Podsixia is offline Junior Member

I've become... a salad shooter.

Hi everyone; this is my first post. My wife and I have been transitioning to Primal nutrition over the last month, gradually using up what's in our cupboard and buying only Primal foods (mostly) when we shop. I haven't had bread or rice for the last 3 weeks, and I've been gradually cutting out the sweets that I so enjoy. My grain intake has probably been cut by like 80%.

At the same time, I've been increasing my veggie and fruit intake. Spinach and honey crisp apples are among my favorites, although I get berries and other veggies at least a few times a week.

If you're still wondering about the meaning of the title of this post, here's my problem: Now, whenever I eat leafy veggies like spinach or lettuce, I get diarrhea. Within 45 minutes I'm examining my handiwork and thinking, "Yep, that's CEARLY spinach. Still green too!"

My wife would tell you that I notoriously dislike salads, but I've been making an effort to modify my palette. And because I put egg, chicken, ham and/or a little bit of cheese into them, I enjoy them well enough now.

My first assumption was that I needed to add back some grain to provide a bulking agent, but after reading a little bit, I don't think that's in my best interest long term and perhaps in the short term either. I've searched the forum and read quite a bit already, but I haven't found anything conclusive on the 'human salad shooter' condition. Is it common? How long does it last? Do I need to cut back on my veggies, even though I don't feel like I'm eating enough to begin with? Could it be as simple as no more leafy greens?

Based on what I've read in the forum so far, it seems like transitioning to Primal eating can be a trial and error process, to which different people respond differently. I get that, so I'm willing to cut out the spinach and lettuce and replace it with... I don't know, broccoli and green beans, for a week to see if that makes a difference.

Can anyone share some similar experience or give me some insight/information on this? If this has been covered adequately in another thread that I haven't found, feel free to just direct me there.

Thanks,
    The Human Salad Shooter

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I was a salad shooter at first. The problem is that your stomach has not fully acclimated to its new duties. It helps to cook your veggies well, chew thoroughly, and eat them with something else like meat. Also, you can probably cut back on leafy portions for awhile while your gut figures this all out. It took me about three months to stop shooting the salad. Again, I emphasize the cooking. Raw, it will fly through you and be of no nutritional value at this point. You might as well open the salad and dump it in the toilet at that rate. Perhaps try reintroducing raw greens a bit later on, and in moderation. You don't want all that oxalate, either.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    How could you...shoot a defenseless salad.

Did you a least plant a gun on it?

squigglywiggly is offline Senior Member
    I have recently had to give up spinach as it does the same thing to me, as does rhubarb most of the time (and I love rhubarb!). Something about the oxylates or something???

Awesome, thanks for the input y'all. I think it specifically the spinach that was messing with me. I've had no problems over the last few days with copious amounts green beans, cauliflower, and lettuce

Great news! I have found I have even had to go to acid free tomatoes as well. Just as well they are affordable!

Hmmm... I got heartburn after some illicit pasta last week, but I assumed it was from the wheat-based noodles. I'll have to do some experimentation with tomatoes now. How exactly do you identify acid-free tomatoes? Thanks again for your help.

I can only find one kind here in New Zealand, they are called Roma tomatoes and are a funny oval shape.

Oh no way, those are ubiquitous here, but I never new they were less acidic than the rest. Looks like I'm going to have to employ the scientific method after our next grocery run. Thanks!

Good luck! I just know I am more than thrilled to be able to eat yummy tomatoes, and I had craved them ALL winter so it is nice to be able to soothe that craving, a salad is NOT a salad without tomatoes LOL.

We will be having loads of wild normal ones coming up in our garden this year, guess we will be giving them all away!

Last night I bought up all the Roma tomatoes I could find in the supermarket, much to the disappointment of the lady waiting behind me LOL. You gotta be quick sometimes! I want to attempt to make my own tomato sauce, acid and sugar free of course...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast