Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Final Few % -- ultimate diet 2.0 vs Leangains page

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member

The Final Few % -- ultimate diet 2.0 vs Leangains

Primal Fuel
    Hello all, here is my basic goal....

I am 27, and have been paleo now for about a year, plus fasting for about 6 months. This has given me great results, and taken my BF% from 10 to 8%, according to our service at the hospital I work in. I have been doing a leangains approach for the past several months, and it is definitely working. What I want is to push it down that final few points....

So, in the experience of anyone on here, is Lyle McDonalds Ultimate Diet 2.0 worth it? It is pretty much 4 days of pretty harsh dieting + an hour plus in the gym four days a week, followed by loading and heavy work. The leangains approach is much simpler, and the fasting is something I am very used to. Do people have experience with this getting down as low as I am talking about? Any input as to experience with either one of these would be great....looking for the next step. Thank you.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Why are you trying to get under 8%?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Hello all, here is my basic goal....

I am 27, and have been paleo now for about a year, plus fasting for about 6 months. This has given me great results, and taken my BF% from 10 to 8%, according to our service at the hospital I work in. I have been doing a leangains approach for the past several months, and it is definitely working. What I want is to push it down that final few points....

So, in the experience of anyone on here, is Lyle McDonalds Ultimate Diet 2.0 worth it? It is pretty much 4 days of pretty harsh dieting + an hour plus in the gym four days a week, followed by loading and heavy work. The leangains approach is much simpler, and the fasting is something I am very used to. Do people have experience with this getting down as low as I am talking about? Any input as to experience with either one of these would be great....looking for the next step. Thank you.
    I haven't done either, but from what I've read, you'd have to be really committed, or love misery to do UD2.0- it works, but it's not fun.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Personally, I wouldn't go near it. I'm all for the occasional fast, but eating so little / low calories for 4 days (full disclosure: I know nothing about either UD 2.0 or leangains, apart from the little I've read in threads on here) and from some of the comments posted by people following UD 2.0, I think I would just make me so hungry that I'd end up eating whatever shit I could get my hands on.

My other half isn't primal (though doesn't eat bread and eats the meals I make etc.), so there's always crap in the house that if I wasn't as satiated as I am by eating following the PB I'd be pigging out on all kindsa crap. This is exactly what happened a few years ago when I first tried strict paleo... I was ok for a while, but after a while eating just veggies and lean meat I just couldn't stick it and caved in to my cravings for everything not paleo
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Leida is offline Senior Member
    UD is teh way to go simply because LG is so wish-washy, and UD comes with the set of great instructions, and is greatly augmented by Choco and NDF on this board, who had discovered a number of underwater stones.... I was doing LG, primal for a while, and was not going anywhere. UD worked. I also tried Anabolic diet 2x and it did nothing for me. UD is definetly the only thing I tried that made me lose fat with next to no muscule mass loss though many claim to But yes, it is hard. Basically, I start doubting it every Tuesady, got to the point "that's the last week I do this batshit crazy XYZ!" every Friday, then Saturday I start the carb up and go into the: I love it!!!!" mode.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-14-2011 at 06:36 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Both seem to be proven roads to "Shredville". Leangains seems like a roller blader on a paved road with a general heading but no map. UD 2.0 sounds like a vibrams powered rickshaw whose GPS is telling you to take the path with a steep slope and cobble stones.
    Last edited by pacificBeef; 11-14-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    UD is teh way to go simply because LG is so wish-washy, and UD comes with the set of great instructions, and is greatly augmented by Choco and NDF on this board, who had discovered a number of underwater stones.... I was doing LG, primal for a while, and was not going anywhere. UD worked. I also tried Anabolic diet 2x and it did nothing for me. UD is definetly the only thing I tried that made me lose fat with next to no muscule mass loss though many claim to But yes, it is hard. Basically, I start doubting it every Tuesady, got to the point "that's the last week I do this batshit crazy XYZ!" every Friday, then Saturday I start the carb up and go into the: I love it!!!!" mode.
    +1, being on week 3 of UD2 its for sure big time commitment. if u can do the regiment i would stick with leangains. UD2 is very intense and works with quick results. as jimhensen said why go below 8%?
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Leangains' major disadvantage is that there is no plan. You have to figure it out yourself. You need to experiment and find out how many calories to cut, how many carbs to take in, what workouts to do, etc. It's very general. Lazarus, if you're happy with what you're doing and it's working for you, I see no reason to switch unless you've hit a plateau. Since it sounds like you've figured it out and you've been doing it for awhile, you may as well keep doing what you're doing. Leangains' plan is a very slow road, but you'll no doubt be at your goal by the spring when it's time to take the shirts off.

The UD2 is for much faster results. You can get the results in 12 weeks doing the UD2 that would take 6-9 months or more on the Leangains track. The UD2 is a lot tougher. You'll be in the gym twice as long. You'll be eating half as much most of the time. Then, you'll have to stuff yourself far beyond any Leangains' meal. You will probably NOT be able to maintain Paleo on UD2. I doubt you can eat 12-15 pounds of sweet potatoes in 24 hours, so you'll probably resort to things like brown rice pasta, cornbread made with masa harina and corn meal (no wheat flour), white rice flour-based breads, Rice Krispies, lots of skim milk and the like. In a 24 hour period, I'll eat a banana cream pie, a corn bread, a banana bread, a blueberry crumb cake, half a gallon of frozen yogurt, a pint of chocolate syrup and brown rice pasta. That's not exactly Paleo to say the least. I do it gluten free, sugar free, I ferment everything with lactic acid and everything is 100% homemade so it's not terrible, but you'll find yourself making sacrifices. If you're willing to work twice as hard, eat less nutritious foods and be hungry often with low energy levels to achieve the results faster, then try the UD2.

Maybe that didn't make the UD2 sound glamorous, but I love it. I wasn't having much success doing it the Leangains way. It was too slow of a process and too boring. I like my challenging schedule. The biggest benefit of the UD2, as Leida said, is that it's ALL laid out for you. No guess work. It is a much better plan than the Leangains method in terms of results, but it's a lot more effort getting there.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    So do you do UD2 till you reach desired goal, then return to normal paleo-style eating, or are you stuck doing it forever in order to keep yourself lean? Say if my goal is BF of 20% (which will be very hard for me to reach)?

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    for UD2 to work u need to be a lower BF%, its made for ppl that are lean already. and want to drop those last few % or gain muscle. the way it works u do a 6 week session then follow it up with a 2 weeks of deload which is maintenance. if u didnt reach ur goal u do another 6 weeks.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast