Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovering vegetarian, meat intolerance? page

Sack of Potatoes is offline Junior Member

Recovering vegetarian, meat intolerance?

Shop Now
    Aack, help! My husband and I were vegetarians for 13 years. Now that we're both into the danger zone of metabolic syndrome, we've decided to go back to meat.

We've been eating meat quite regularly for a couple of months now. Daily to several times daily, depending on the week's menu. I have no problem at all, but my husband is really struggling.

He has IBS-like symptoms from two to 24 hours after eating any meat, even chicken. Not every time, but most of the time. He says he was like this, though mostly only with fast food, as a teenager.

We aren't eating fast foods. I buy grass fed, organic and pastured/free range, and sticking to authentic, traditional dishes from a wide variety of ethnic cuisines. I've cut out all polyunsaturated fats, sticking with olive oil, palm and coconut oil, and the fats from the meats I cook (for example, sauteeing in the fat skimmed off chicken stock). I have not been able to cut back on carbohydrates at this point because I need to solve this problem first.

I'm frustrated. I assume some of this is an intolerance from not having the right enzymes in his system, but will it go away? How soon? How can I help things along?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Here I think this documentary will answer your questions:

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Okay uhhh... sometimes people get IBS-like responses to fat when they aren't used to it, or it's more than their body can handle. Probiotics and digestive enzymes might be a good idea to aid with digestion. Your stomach isn't used to processing this kind of protein anymore and it can take some time to adjust.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hm okay, I've been encouraging him to take both probiotics and digestive enzymes, which he is off and on compliant about. I can't tell that they do any good at all, actually. Not very noticeable. He hasn't used them for about a week though so I'll get on him again...but if he takes digestive enzymes, will it slow down his body's process of re-creating them naturally?

I'm at work, so perhaps someone could sum up whatever is in that video?

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sack of Potatoes View Post
    Aack, help! My husband and I were vegetarians for 13 years. Now that we're both into the danger zone of metabolic syndrome, we've decided to go back to meat.

We've been eating meat quite regularly for a couple of months now. Daily to several times daily, depending on the week's menu. I have no problem at all, but my husband is really struggling.

He has IBS-like symptoms from two to 24 hours after eating any meat, even chicken. Not every time, but most of the time. He says he was like this, though mostly only with fast food, as a teenager.

We aren't eating fast foods. I buy grass fed, organic and pastured/free range, and sticking to authentic, traditional dishes from a wide variety of ethnic cuisines. I've cut out all polyunsaturated fats, sticking with olive oil, palm and coconut oil, and the fats from the meats I cook (for example, sauteeing in the fat skimmed off chicken stock). I have not been able to cut back on carbohydrates at this point because I need to solve this problem first.

I'm frustrated. I assume some of this is an intolerance from not having the right enzymes in his system, but will it go away? How soon? How can I help things along?
    you might want to look into GAPS... LEAKY Gut can also have similar issues as IBS... there's a great GAPS thread here on MDA... and GAPS works well w/primal (especially when you leave out the grains!).... Bone Broths are a great place to start!
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I am also at work but would advise against viewing it based on the preview image.

I don't have experience with this, but I'm sure other former vegetarians will chime in. From what I've read, some find it easier to take it slow & start with broths. You might also want to involve a doctor to see if they have any recommendations, but I'm pretty skeptical about doctors.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    If he's getting IBS-like symptoms 2-24 hours after eating meat, sometimes but not all the time, maybe you should keep a food log and see if it might be something else. Sure, it could be the meat, but I would think the body would've adjusted by now. And if meat is a problem, then I would think the effect would be pretty consistent. Maybe he does need some supplementation with probiotics, enzymes, or acids, but I'd try being really consistent with his diet and tracking the symptoms. Maybe a little less variety so you can dial in what's bothering him.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    maybe you just need some digestive support. I like the Now Foods Superenzyme capsules (not tablets).
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

DaisyEater, you make sense. For whatever reason, the effect seems to be worst after sliced lunch meats! He had a really unpleasant day today, and a similar one about three weeks ago at a national IDPA match that forced him to speed to the restrooms at Blackwater in between stages...very embarrassing. Two different brands of turkey in sandwiches, both times. Reaction within an hour of the meal.

On the other hand the reaction to most of my cooked food is more delayed and not as bad. I've made a lot of middle eastern meals that revolve around a whole chicken cooked in water with spices, and the resulting broth, unskimmed, becomes the sauce. Those still cause some diarrhea but not as soon, and not the explosive, ruin-your-day kind. I made a Neapolitan ragu two weeks ago with beef, and that just made him quite gassy.

In general though, as a vegetarian he was always telling me about how great his digestion was compared to his memory of his teenage years. Now that we're back on meat, every single day he has some sort of very smelly, liquidy experience in the bathroom. There's no doubt of the connection, unfortunately.

I, too, would have thought a couple of months of very regular exposure to meats would have been enough to transition. But there's been no improvement from day 1 to today.

I will do a search for GAPS, whatever that is. Leaky gut...if he has it, which seems relatively likely anyhow, wouldn't the symptoms be a problem even before we started eating meat?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Here I think this documentary will answer your questions:
    What kind of response was this, anyway? Some sort of stupid joke? I don't appreciate it at all. Thank you, to those who are treating my question with dignity.

I think for starters I'm going to stick to meats a maximum of one meal per day, for him. I'll restrict my cooking to foods that I can use bone stock in the recipe, and see if a month like that starts to show some relief. I looked up GAPS and though some of it looks reasonable, I get a kooky macrobiotic-ish vibe off it too, and plus there's no way my husband would put up with eating like that! Especially the fermented foods part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast