Thread: Kirkland Omega 3 FISH OIL ... With Soy. page

akm3 is offline Member

Kirkland Omega 3 FISH OIL ... With Soy.

Primal Fuel
    So I'm a bit peeved that the Fish Oil we have in our house contains as ingredients: Fish Oil Concentrade, Gelatin, Glycerin, Water, Tocopherol. with a "contains" line of "Fish (Anchovy and Sardine) and Soy.

Obviously getting fish oil from real fish is better, but that isn't always an option for me so I try to supplement. Did I choose a bad supplement provider in this case? Can anyone recommend a good fish oil supplement that doesn't contain Soy? Or am I blowing this out of proportion and what I have is fine?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Does it contain soy oil? If so, I think I'd find a new brand. Although Mark recently said that it's such a small amount as to be of no concern, at least in the case of CoQ10 pills. If it's soy lecithin, I wouldn't sweat it. Check out these posts for more info:
    Dear Mark: Soy Lecithin, Healthy Fat Alternatives, Wasted Workouts, and Magic Grapefruit | Mark's Daily Apple
    Dear Mark: CoQ10, Gelatin, Fruit, and Eggs and LDL | Mark's Daily Apple

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Kirkland signature is a good brand...don't sweat it.

MadelynMc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Kirkland signature is a good brand...don't sweat it.
    Based on? ............

Fish oil is tricky. I personally feel like fish oil w/ soy oil in it (likely rancid) defeats the whole anti-inflammatory effect. I just started taking Barlean's cod liver oil. I like it a lot and it has vitamin E in it as a preservative to keep the fish oil from going rancid.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Legitimately, how much soy can really be in those pills? Do you really think very trace amounts of soy are going to do some damage? Come on now.

And here is something I found online...I can't verify this but it would be very easy to do so if you were inclined:

"I contacted Costco and they said that the soy was not used for Omega-3 but as a source for Vitamin E which helps keep the product fresh. This stuff is USP tested folks, the same organization that tests our pharmaceutical drugs, so you know it's pure and safe, and because Costco is constantly overturning it's inventory it's always new and fresh, unlike what you may pull off a store shelf."

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Kirkland: Everything You Need, From Batteries to Fish Oil
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Fury is offline Senior Member
    I suspect the warning is there for allergy reasons, one of the ingredients is likely derived from soy.
    Edit: Yup, jimhenson's right, its the Tocopherol (vitamin E)

from Tocopherol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :
    "Although originally extracted from wheat germ oil, most natural vitamin E supplements are now derived from vegetable oils, usually soybean oil."

Elthea is offline Member

Question about fish oil safety

I just read this article. It's so contrary to all the praise I've heard for fish oil that I don't know what to think. Anyone have comments?

The Great Fish Oil Experiment

freds4 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I take Krill Oil from CostCo.

Schiff® MegaRed® Omega-3 Krill Oil is small, red, powerful and supports cardiovascular health. MegaRed® provides phospholipid omega-3s for fast absorption.*

May Reduce Coronary Heart Disease Risk.^

Compare to Fish Oil

Just one small softgel per day
    Powerful Antioxidants
    No fishy odor or aftertaste
    100% Pure Antarctic Krill - The Superior Source
    Schiff® MegaRed® contains oil from pure Antarctic krill, tiny crustaceans that thrive in the frigid waters of the Antarctic. MegaRed® provides an optimal combination of omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids and critical antioxidants to support heart and joint health.† MegaRed® Omega-3 Krill Oil is the superior source of omega-3. Quality tested for purity.

MegaRed® Omega-3 Krill Oil contains omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA. Research has shown that DHA and EPA may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.^

Unlike fish oil, the omega-3 fatty acids in MegaRed® Omega-3 Krill Oil are absorbed and carried to the body's cells in phospholipid form. Phospholipids form the structural basis of cell membranes, so MegaRed® phospholipids with omega-3 fatty acids are easily recognized, incorporated and utilized by the body.

Importantly, because MegaRed® omega-3s are carried in phospholipid form, there is no fishy aftertaste. Just one small, easy-to-swallow MegaRed® softgel to take each day.

For more information, visit wwww.SchiffMegaRed.com

†These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

^Supportive, but not conclusive research shows that consumption of EPA and DHA Omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.

*Phospholipids form the structural basis of cell membranes, so MegaRed® phospholipids with omega-3 fatty acids are easily recognized, incorporated and utilized by the body.

Directions:
    As a dietary supplement, take one (1) softgel daily.

Supplement Facts:
    Serving Size: One (1) Softgel
    Servings Per Container: 90
    Amount Per Serving - % Daily Value:
    Krill Oil 300 mg - ***, Omega-3 Fatty Acids 90 mg - ***, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) 45 mg - ***, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) 27 mg - ***.

***Daily Value not established.

Other Ingredients:
    Gelatin, Glycerin.

Contains shellfish (krill).

Warnings:
    People with shellfish allergy, coagulopathy or taking anticoagulants or other medications should notify their physician and be tested prior to taking dietary supplements. If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your physician before taking this product. Keep out of reach of children.

Eco-Friendly:
    Krill is one of earth's most abundant and sustainable organisms. The harvest of krill is well below conservative international catch guidelines. This helps the ecosystem maintain a healthy, sustainable krill population.

Guaranteed:
    No added sugar (sucrose, fructose, lactose), salt (sodium chloride), yeast, wheat, gluten or milk. No preservatives, artificial colors or artificial flavors. Guaranteed for purity, freshness and labeled potency.

Costco - Schiff® MegaRed
    Last edited by freds4; 11-15-2011 at 09:39 AM.