Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ab work = bloating? page

MaceyK is offline Junior Member

ab work = bloating?

Primal Fuel
    I gave birth 7 weeks ago and have been cleared by my Dr to workout again. I had a c section so I have been taking it easy. I will only do about 25 crunches at a time. But after any ab work (not just crunches) my tummy gets really bloated. Has anyone else have this happen? I hate working out and then looking like I am 4 months pregnant afterwards. To say the least, it is really discouraging!

dado Guest
    yo won't bloat

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    dont need to do crunches to workout abs just do core exercises. seems like to me after c section 7 weeks in not that long for recovery, but im no doctor. maybe start with planks, do some light kettlebell workouts, ive even done pilates(freakin brutal IMO). just engaging ur stomach muscle is a workout, so tighten ur abs muscles every once in awhile for like 20secs every hour if u want.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyK View Post
    I gave birth 7 weeks ago and have been cleared by my Dr to workout again. I had a c section so I have been taking it easy. I will only do about 25 crunches at a time. But after any ab work (not just crunches) my tummy gets really bloated. Has anyone else have this happen? I hate working out and then looking like I am 4 months pregnant afterwards. To say the least, it is really discouraging!
    Crunches after a c-section aren't a great idea - you'll need exercises like planks rather than exercises that shorten the rectus abdominis

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Crunches after a c-section aren't a great idea - you'll need exercises like planks rather than exercises that shorten the rectus abdominis
    maybe start the planks on your knees if full planks hurt too much. i think the bloating may be a sign of inflammation, quite natural in this case. being a guy, and never having given birth, i can only surmise that you'll need to go s-l-o-w.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Also, crunches are a pretty useless exercise.
    Planks are great, or leg lifts while lying on your back are better than crunches.

I heard earlier today on the forums that chinups stimulate the abdominal muscles more than any other exercise, but I haven't verified the research. It does match with my personal experience, though.

*Edit* It was Kharnath's post in the following thread:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread42188.html

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    You are starting way too early, and crunches are a big no-no after a ceaserean. I had one 5 years ago, and there was no way I was exercising past slow walking well into 12-14 weeks after. You've had major survey where they cut through your abdominal muscles, you really shouldn't be doing crunches now.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyK View Post
    Ask a medical doctor for advice.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Yeah because they are so knowledgeable! If they say it it must be so.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Yeah because they are so knowledgeable! If they say it it must be so.
    This thread is about a million years old. However, she had a C-section and experienced weird bloating when doing abdominal exercises. I'm curious, who do you think she should ask for medical advice if not her doctor? Her accountant? Her lawyer perhaps? Or maybe the anonymous people here on Mark's Daily Apple??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast